Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

10amp and 13 amp what is the difference?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023186 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 11:30 AM

10.5 would be better.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2013 - 11:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73906 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 5:23 PM

Quote: I also have a 4.5 tog duvet at the floor

Sounds like a casting couch on the cheap Wink.

thewilliam
28 Jun 2013 - 9:48 PM

Now I know something about Lucian's D lites, I realise that they don't draw a lot of power. He would almost certainly get away with his 10A extension lead.

In our studio, we do need to think seriously about power ratings when we use a complicated lighting setup. Our lamp-heads have 650 Watt modelling lights and each power-pack delivers up to 1600J so the charging current is substantial. We can easily reach or exceed the capacity of a 30A ring main.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
28 Jun 2013 - 11:48 PM

I also have a d-lite 4 head that is 400w. Is it ok to use 3 200w heads and 1 400w head without any worries. I don't need the lights on full power anyway so that may make a difference.

thewilliam
29 Jun 2013 - 12:24 AM

Lucien, you need to understand the difference between flash power and the current drawn by the light unit.

The 400Wsec refers to the power of the flash. The energy is stored up over the few seconds that it takes to re-cycle and then released in less than one thousandth of a second to make the flash. Think of it as the electrical equivalent of a lavatory cistern where the flush is a lot quicker than the refilling of the cistern.

You need to take account of the power drawn by the modelling lamps. Some studio lighting units cause the modelling lamp to dim while the flash is recharging. This is to reduce the current drawn.

Most wall sockets are twin rather than single. If you're worried, why not run two extension cables? When on location, we've run 3 small flash units from one socket without any problem.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
29 Jun 2013 - 1:09 AM

I have one double wall socket in the room. if I use 2 extension leads with 2 lights plugged in to each does this mean it is safer than using I lead with 4 plugs plugged in to it?

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
29 Jun 2013 - 9:55 AM

Not necessarily.

As long as you don't overload any socket, it doesn't really matter.

What to avoid is using an unfused multi-plug adaptor on any socket.

With an extension lead, so long as the plug has a 13-amp fuse, it does not matter how many devices yo take off the extension lead. The plug fuse will blow if you exceed a safe limit.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
29 Jun 2013 - 10:28 AM

So is my 4 light that come to 1000w a safe limit to be coming from a single socket?

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
29 Jun 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yes - that is only a shade over 4 amps on a 230v supply.

MrDennis
MrDennis  5229 forum posts Wales
4 Sep 2013 - 3:05 PM

Excuse me for my DULLNESS!
Why is it that so many people buy a 8 or 10 plug socket and fill them up. Like I do with my Belkin 4 socket and 8 socket. So -example, if all plugs have 3 amps that = 24 amps not 13 amps that is on the plug of the Belkin. Some pluged into the Belkin will be mixed with 3 amp-5 amp-13 amp...I am NOT good at Electrics so a simple answer will go down well. Is it SAFE!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023186 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2013 - 3:22 PM

Most extension sockets have a wattage load and that will be shown on the item or the packaging.

thewilliam
4 Sep 2013 - 4:32 PM

Extension cables cause a lot of fires when they're misused. In most cases, it's down to ignorance on the part of the user.

Sensible folk use 8 and 10 way multi-sockets for low power kit like computer accessories. Many UK mains plugs and IEC power cords come with 13A fuse fitted, even though this is a lot higher than the rating of the equipment. This is as sensible as paying out the full 100 feet of safety rope when climbing a 80 foot rock face.

One friend played in a rock band and they used to put a short length of iron cut from a nail into their fuse-holders! They never had any trouble with fuses blowing and somehow lived to tell the tale.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 4 Sep 2013 - 4:34 PM
Stephen_w3d
4 Sep 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote: The reason I am needing an extension lead is because the wiring in my studio is about 47 years old because it has never been re-wired since the property was built. It only has 1 double socket in each room including the studio room because it was built at a time where people did not need to run many electrical appliances at the same time.

47 years, I think you need your house re-wired and get some more sockets fitted.

das7
das7  133 forum posts
11 Sep 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have always found this helpful in deciding 10a or 13a - keep this in mind when buying a light bulb or extension cable!

P(W) = I(A) V(V)

So watts are equal to amps times volts:

watt = amp volt

or

W = A V

Hope this helps Blush

collywobles
12 Sep 2013 - 10:50 AM

10amp and 13 amp what is the difference?

= 3 Amps

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.