Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II

lonewolf1 3 19 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 9:55AM
Mixed reports, Photzone hate it, Lenstip are cool on it (I like Lenstip!) Some mags, Photo answers, notably Love it as does Photo Review Au, So has anyone actually any experience of it? I'm after a compact wide for climbing/fellwalking, I don't like either of the Nikons IE: 16-35/14/24 due to the length of em really, so it's a toss between this reaalllly wide un or the Tokina 17-35mm ATX Pro F4. Coming from a Siggy 8-16 on my Dx Cameras (Pentax and Nikon) I just can't see a lens having nine fancy glass elements in it can be as C$*p as some of the reviews state, despite it being 35mm frame and pushing the laws of lens manufacture more than a little bit...
Anyone tried it oot?
Any sample piccies to share?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Oct 2012 10:28AM
Whats wrong with the 16-35? Remember it has image stabilisation that would be ideal for your needs.

If your concerned due to some reviews - don't be it's excellent (photozone aren't very complimentary). The last 9 landscape images in my PF are all taken with the 16-35.
6 Oct 2012 11:13AM
Hi Nick,
I've tried both the Nikons and while the 16-35 is indeed a very nice lens, it's just too damn long, I just don't like the way either Nikon feels/Handles because of it! The older 17-35 fits the bill better but even that is on the heavy side of where I want to be, curvature ot the front elements don't bother me either as I have thrown away everything except an ND in regards to filters, the thing would spend all of it's life on a Tripod and so VR isn't essential but a good feature for handhelds none the less! however the weight is about right, I suffer from sciatica and severe arthritis too, need to keep down the weight and some lenses don't suit arthritic sausage fingers too well (Should have mentioned all that in the first place!). Grin
I also notice that the Flickr group for this Lens only has ten members and no discussion, should that tell me something???Wink
snapbandit 10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
6 Oct 2012 12:33PM
I've had the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM for a while now and have to say I'm very pleased with it, wide open at 12mm it does lose a bit of clarity at the very extreme edges, but stopping it down a couple of notches and it's grand. there are some examples in my gallery (links below) of pics taken with it and I know web size pics cannot show the true IQ of a lens, but all the pics have been printed at between 12x8 & 20x16 and have come out really well (a couple have been selected for exhibition in different 'salons') so IMHO it's well worth using. Almost all my other lenses are Nikon (some of them are the top line kit) & this is easily up to their IQ.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/disused-26841611

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/mono-dunree-26860955

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/seen-better-days-22882865

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/rickety-jetty-22829108

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/in-your-face--22916336

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/bandit-wheels-22983330

HTH

Joe B
6 Oct 2012 2:26PM
These from the original and not the MkII Version?
If so I think I'd be happy with either!
Nice shooting and very helpful, thankyou...Grin
6 Oct 2012 2:33PM

Quote:These from the original and not the MkII Version?

Yes taken with the Mk1 ( well there's nothing denoting HSM2 on it!), I picked it up used about 6 months ago & am well pleased with it so far.
I wouldn't know if there is any optical difference in the two versions. Also meant to mention they were taken on a Fx (full frame) camera.

HTH

Joe B
24 Oct 2012 2:36PM
Looks like I'll have to be the Guinea Pig then!Wink
MKII Arrived this afternoon, I'll take it to the Lakes this weekend and give it a spin...Grin
gavrelle 2 44 England
26 Oct 2012 6:16PM
Ok Julian, how did it go?? The Siggy is a lens i am seriously contemplating
coliwolii 5 69 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 6:30PM
One of my favourite lenses. Best stopped down a bit, but I mainly shoot landscapes so that is no issue for me.

By the way, I have a filter kit for mine, so don't let anyone tell you its impossible to attach a filter! Smile
28 Oct 2012 6:47PM
the lens cap for mine has a section in the centre which comes off & leaves a filter thread (82mm), I have not used it with filters yet so do not know about any possible vignetting from filter, but you can certainly use filters with the lens.

Joe B
coliwolii 5 69 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 7:09PM
Yeah, you'll get vignetting using that method at the wider settings. You can with a bit of DIY get a very usable set up.

If anyones interested in how I'll try and find the links to the instructions?
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 7:33PM
On a cropped-sensor camera a Lee 100mm filter holder will clip reasonably securely onto the grooves of the Sigma lens hood.
100mm isn't big enough for full-frame, though.
10 Nov 2012 7:20AM

Quote:Ok Julian, how did it go?? The Siggy is a lens i am seriously contemplating

I wish I could tel you! It's never stopped raining since I got it!Sad
19 Nov 2012 10:22AM
Actually got out but only for a bit on Sunday,Take from it what you will, this is edited but after the auto profiling in Lightroom, it seems plenty sharp enough for my usage...
I only managed one shot with the Siggy but here it is:
Grin

18mm, F11, 1/40th, ISO 1oo, Handheld.

-dsc0370-edit.jpg

19 Nov 2012 11:21AM
There were literally tons of people at Castlerigg this Sunday and this was the only people free image I could get
Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.