Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lonewolf1
lonewolf1  3 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 - 9:55 AM

Mixed reports, Photzone hate it, Lenstip are cool on it (I like Lenstip!) Some mags, Photo answers, notably Love it as does Photo Review Au, So has anyone actually any experience of it? I'm after a compact wide for climbing/fellwalking, I don't like either of the Nikons IE: 16-35/14/24 due to the length of em really, so it's a toss between this reaalllly wide un or the Tokina 17-35mm ATX Pro F4. Coming from a Siggy 8-16 on my Dx Cameras (Pentax and Nikon) I just can't see a lens having nine fancy glass elements in it can be as C$*p as some of the reviews state, despite it being 35mm frame and pushing the laws of lens manufacture more than a little bit...
Anyone tried it oot?
Any sample piccies to share?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2012 - 9:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73870 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:28 AM

Whats wrong with the 16-35? Remember it has image stabilisation that would be ideal for your needs.

If your concerned due to some reviews - don't be it's excellent (photozone aren't very complimentary). The last 9 landscape images in my PF are all taken with the 16-35.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 6 Oct 2012 - 10:30 AM
lonewolf1
6 Oct 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi Nick,
I've tried both the Nikons and while the 16-35 is indeed a very nice lens, it's just too damn long, I just don't like the way either Nikon feels/Handles because of it! The older 17-35 fits the bill better but even that is on the heavy side of where I want to be, curvature ot the front elements don't bother me either as I have thrown away everything except an ND in regards to filters, the thing would spend all of it's life on a Tripod and so VR isn't essential but a good feature for handhelds none the less! however the weight is about right, I suffer from sciatica and severe arthritis too, need to keep down the weight and some lenses don't suit arthritic sausage fingers too well (Should have mentioned all that in the first place!). Grin
I also notice that the Flickr group for this Lens only has ten members and no discussion, should that tell me something???Wink

Last Modified By lonewolf1 at 6 Oct 2012 - 11:18 AM
snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've had the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM for a while now and have to say I'm very pleased with it, wide open at 12mm it does lose a bit of clarity at the very extreme edges, but stopping it down a couple of notches and it's grand. there are some examples in my gallery (links below) of pics taken with it and I know web size pics cannot show the true IQ of a lens, but all the pics have been printed at between 12x8 & 20x16 and have come out really well (a couple have been selected for exhibition in different 'salons') so IMHO it's well worth using. Almost all my other lenses are Nikon (some of them are the top line kit) & this is easily up to their IQ.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/disused-26841611
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/mono-dunree-268609...
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/seen-better-days-2...
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/rickety-jetty-2282...
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/in-your-face--2291...
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/snapbandit-20121/gallery/photo/bandit-wheels-2298...

HTH

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 6 Oct 2012 - 12:35 PM
lonewolf1
6 Oct 2012 - 2:26 PM

These from the original and not the MkII Version?
If so I think I'd be happy with either!
Nice shooting and very helpful, thankyou...Grin

snapbandit
6 Oct 2012 - 2:33 PM

Quote: These from the original and not the MkII Version?

Yes taken with the Mk1 ( well there's nothing denoting HSM2 on it!), I picked it up used about 6 months ago & am well pleased with it so far.
I wouldn't know if there is any optical difference in the two versions. Also meant to mention they were taken on a Fx (full frame) camera.

HTH

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 6 Oct 2012 - 2:37 PM
lonewolf1
24 Oct 2012 - 2:36 PM

Looks like I'll have to be the Guinea Pig then!Wink
MKII Arrived this afternoon, I'll take it to the Lakes this weekend and give it a spin...Grin

gavrelle
gavrelle  231 forum posts England
26 Oct 2012 - 6:16 PM

Ok Julian, how did it go?? The Siggy is a lens i am seriously contemplating

coliwolii
coliwolii  569 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 - 6:30 PM

One of my favourite lenses. Best stopped down a bit, but I mainly shoot landscapes so that is no issue for me.

By the way, I have a filter kit for mine, so don't let anyone tell you its impossible to attach a filter! Smile

snapbandit
28 Oct 2012 - 6:47 PM

the lens cap for mine has a section in the centre which comes off & leaves a filter thread (82mm), I have not used it with filters yet so do not know about any possible vignetting from filter, but you can certainly use filters with the lens.

Joe B

coliwolii
coliwolii  569 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 - 7:09 PM

Yeah, you'll get vignetting using that method at the wider settings. You can with a bit of DIY get a very usable set up.

If anyones interested in how I'll try and find the links to the instructions?

chris.maddock
28 Oct 2012 - 7:33 PM

On a cropped-sensor camera a Lee 100mm filter holder will clip reasonably securely onto the grooves of the Sigma lens hood.
100mm isn't big enough for full-frame, though.

lonewolf1
10 Nov 2012 - 7:20 AM

Quote: Ok Julian, how did it go?? The Siggy is a lens i am seriously contemplating

I wish I could tel you! It's never stopped raining since I got it!Sad

lonewolf1
19 Nov 2012 - 10:22 AM

Actually got out but only for a bit on Sunday,Take from it what you will, this is edited but after the auto profiling in Lightroom, it seems plenty sharp enough for my usage...
I only managed one shot with the Siggy but here it is:
Grin

18mm, F11, 1/40th, ISO 1oo, Handheld.

-dsc0370-edit.jpg

lonewolf1
19 Nov 2012 - 11:21 AM

There were literally tons of people at Castlerigg this Sunday and this was the only people free image I could get
Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.