Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

12MP camera phone

31 Jul 2009 9:12PM
just seen an advert for a samsung 12 MEGAPIXEL mobile phone....how far are these things going to go!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pcheywood e2
9 1.3k England
31 Jul 2009 9:29PM
Right up to the point when the average customer realises that they are being 'had' by big numbers for marketing. I wouldn't hold my breath though because it won't be anytime soon.

Paul.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
31 Jul 2009 9:33PM
... and when it is - the results will be soooooooooooooooooo disappointing. As Paul says....
MattGrayson e2
7 622 3 England
31 Jul 2009 9:57PM
I think they're fitting a waist level finder to it too. Wink
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 Jul 2009 10:38PM
LOL.......Wink
31 Jul 2009 10:45PM
If a 12MP camera phone can make the most of it's glass I'll eat my own head. I'd go lower MP for reduced noise. If phone manufacturers give a s**t about such things. Which they DON'T.
31 Jul 2009 11:31PM
They ought to tackle the horrendous "shutter-lag" first..!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Aug 2009 1:12AM
It's just a natural progression. The 12Mp phones will probably produce better quality than the 2 or 3MP ones of 3-4 years ago, notwithstanding the minuscule sensor, because of sensor developments in the interim.

But a competitor for the Nikon D3 it will not be! Wink
JamesBurns
6 1.3k 7
1 Aug 2009 1:15AM
It's not often that I'll say this, but...

what CB said..... Wink
1 Aug 2009 7:49AM
Hi,
Samsung did have a 5MP camera with a 3x optical zoom but the photos it took were terrible. Very blocking, colours were off, no sharpness and poor low-light shots (due to small sensor size). They are too chunky for the average mobile phone and the trade off doesn't seem worth it.
What we do need is a better image processor in these phones for lower time between shoots, face detection, image stabilising and faster shutter speeds. All with a LED & Xenon flash so when you want to use your phone as a torch, you can, and when you need a proper flash, it's also there.
Link removed by ePz staff
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Aug 2009 1:21PM
Yeah but you can't make phone calls from, or surf the web with, even a top of the range DSLR! Grin

(And you can't slip a DSLR into your shirt pocket either).
KatieR e2
10 6.2k 6
1 Aug 2009 6:11PM
I'm just looking for an upgrade to my two-year old phone which has a 3.2 mp camera. It's been useful and fun, which I didn't expect, and so now I'd like to get a better phone with a slightly better camera... but not a 12mp one, I must say. It's just not necessary.

My colleague uses a Sony phone with an 8mp camera but along with many other users has had to return it for speaker problems. It's unfortunate because the camera is indeed impressive for what it is - especially in good light. Her snaps look perfectly decent to me, and that's all she wants.

Personally I like having the choice of phone, compact or DSLR - I am glad I don't have to choose just one.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Aug 2009 7:09PM

Quote:Personally I like having the choice of phone, compact or DSLR - I am glad I don't have to choose just one.

Spot on, I would say. Horses for courses. Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Aug 2009 4:19PM
I think the Samsung Pixon 12 is now available.

Anyone tempted to get one - if only for bragging rights? "Hey, my mobile phone has got as many megapixels as your Nikon D3!" Grin

It is interesting though that, in various previews on the web, there are warnings about more pixels on a tiny sensor not necessarily making for better photos. Perhaps the message is getting through at last.... just maybe?
11 Aug 2009 10:19PM
Even if a phone manufacturer brought out a 70MP camera, They still wouldn't have a thing on Hasselblad h3dii-60 (60 mega pixels (a 21,516.45 camera...)
All it would mean is that it could print a terrible picture the size of a 3 storey house, Not very good now is it?

Mega pixel is but a print size, Everything about 6MP is perfect for 8x10" photos
It is the lens' that makes the IQ (and ofcourse the body processor and sensor... but the Lens is the main tool for better IQ)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.