Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

12MP camera phone

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

photography27
31 Jul 2009 - 9:12 PM

just seen an advert for a samsung 12 MEGAPIXEL mobile phone....how far are these things going to go!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2009 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
31 Jul 2009 - 9:29 PM

Right up to the point when the average customer realises that they are being 'had' by big numbers for marketing. I wouldn't hold my breath though because it won't be anytime soon.

Paul.

User_Removed
31 Jul 2009 - 9:33 PM

... and when it is - the results will be soooooooooooooooooo disappointing. As Paul says....

MattGrayson
31 Jul 2009 - 9:57 PM

I think they're fitting a waist level finder to it too. Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2009 - 10:38 PM

LOL.......Wink

Fairclough
31 Jul 2009 - 10:45 PM

If a 12MP camera phone can make the most of it's glass I'll eat my own head. I'd go lower MP for reduced noise. If phone manufacturers give a s**t about such things. Which they DON'T.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
31 Jul 2009 - 11:31 PM

They ought to tackle the horrendous "shutter-lag" first..!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 1:12 AM

It's just a natural progression. The 12Mp phones will probably produce better quality than the 2 or 3MP ones of 3-4 years ago, notwithstanding the minuscule sensor, because of sensor developments in the interim.

But a competitor for the Nikon D3 it will not be! Wink

JamesBurns
1 Aug 2009 - 1:15 AM

It's not often that I'll say this, but...

what CB said..... Wink

KenKerr
KenKerr  4
1 Aug 2009 - 7:49 AM

Hi,
Samsung did have a 5MP camera with a 3x optical zoom but the photos it took were terrible. Very blocking, colours were off, no sharpness and poor low-light shots (due to small sensor size). They are too chunky for the average mobile phone and the trade off doesn't seem worth it.
What we do need is a better image processor in these phones for lower time between shoots, face detection, image stabilising and faster shutter speeds. All with a LED & Xenon flash so when you want to use your phone as a torch, you can, and when you need a proper flash, it's also there.
Link removed by ePz staff

Last Modified By MattGrayson at 1 Aug 2009 - 8:15 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 1:21 PM

Yeah but you can't make phone calls from, or surf the web with, even a top of the range DSLR! Grin

(And you can't slip a DSLR into your shirt pocket either).

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2009 - 6:11 PM

I'm just looking for an upgrade to my two-year old phone which has a 3.2 mp camera. It's been useful and fun, which I didn't expect, and so now I'd like to get a better phone with a slightly better camera... but not a 12mp one, I must say. It's just not necessary.

My colleague uses a Sony phone with an 8mp camera but along with many other users has had to return it for speaker problems. It's unfortunate because the camera is indeed impressive for what it is - especially in good light. Her snaps look perfectly decent to me, and that's all she wants.

Personally I like having the choice of phone, compact or DSLR - I am glad I don't have to choose just one.

Carabosse
1 Aug 2009 - 7:09 PM

Quote: Personally I like having the choice of phone, compact or DSLR - I am glad I don't have to choose just one.

Spot on, I would say. Horses for courses. Smile

Carabosse
11 Aug 2009 - 4:19 PM

I think the Samsung Pixon 12 is now available.

Anyone tempted to get one - if only for bragging rights? "Hey, my mobile phone has got as many megapixels as your Nikon D3!" Grin

It is interesting though that, in various previews on the web, there are warnings about more pixels on a tiny sensor not necessarily making for better photos. Perhaps the message is getting through at last.... just maybe?

UUilliam
UUilliam  4 Scotland
11 Aug 2009 - 10:19 PM

Even if a phone manufacturer brought out a 70MP camera, They still wouldn't have a thing on Hasselblad h3dii-60 (60 mega pixels (a 21,516.45 camera...)
All it would mean is that it could print a terrible picture the size of a 3 storey house, Not very good now is it?

Mega pixel is but a print size, Everything about 6MP is perfect for 8x10" photos
It is the lens' that makes the IQ (and ofcourse the body processor and sensor... but the Lens is the main tool for better IQ)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.