Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

150-500 good price?

Mozzytheboy e2
4 550 3 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 2:09PM
From another thread I have chewed it over and decided to run with the 150-500mm Sigma for my Canon 500D.

Looking around there are not that many decent discounted prices but I did come across this one.

Sigma 150-500

Does anyone know anything about this supplier? The price seems very good indeed.

Mozzy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 2:20PM
Never delt with them myself, but they have been, err, 'discussed' in the forums a few times - such as here .

buy with care.
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 2:24PM
Don't do it!................................. too many tales of woe to take the risk IMO! I had a close call a few years ago.
Mozzytheboy e2
4 550 3 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 3:11PM
Avoided like the plague then. Thank you for your time, much appreciated. Off to hunt around for the best price from a reliable seller then.

Mozzy
NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 3:28PM
You may want to check this out
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 3:53PM
If price is all important and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that....
consider OneStop Digital...a Hong Kong company very well thought of on EPZ.....615.41.
.....Mike
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 4:04PM
Just be aware that if you use OneStop Digital you cannot expect sigma to honour the warranty and you will be reliant on OneStop for the warranty. Also double check that you will not be hit with import taxes etc, you may have to pay it and claim it back. By not buying in the UK you do not have UK buyer protection.

Quote: Onestop Digital Warranty
Unless otherwise stated, we offer 12 months "Return to Hong Kong" warranty for cameras, camcorders, lenses and flashguns. Warranty starts from the date we despatch your order.

So if the goods are defective you could have a long wait for a repair/replacement. And if onestop go bust your warranty is gone.

If its lower in cost there is sometimes a catch, so it all depends how lucky you feel. You could be lucky and save money though. They would look to have no Canon lenses which is a shame as an L series would come with an international warranty so you would have the option of using Canon UK service if it went wrong.
Mozzytheboy e2
4 550 3 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 4:12PM
Great stuff. `best I have found this far is an ex demo one for 659. HK based could be a problem.

Mozzy
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 4:52PM

Quote:By not buying in the UK you do not have UK buyer protection.

Before buying a Nikon 80-400 lens from OneStop many years ago, at the suggestion of another member I rang Nikon, told them I was going on holiday to Hong Kong and intended to buy this lens and would it be covered under UK warranty...I was told YES on a lens...camera body NO.

....perhaps you know something Nikon don't.
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 5:01PM
I think I'm right in saying that Nikon have International warranties and Sigma have UK ones.

I have used OneStop for Nikon lenses and their service (and price) is excellent. I have also bought a prime Sigma lens from them on the basis that there is less to go wrong. I might think twice about a zoom with OS where there is more to potentially go wrong. Having said that I have not had a need to call on any warranty with any item Nikon or Sigma.
lawbert 7 1.7k 15 England
3 Jan 2011 5:05PM
The days of buying from the East are long since over with the exchange rate etc.
You could have to stump up for import duty which will way exceed UK prices and you still wont have a Warranty that is UK honored.
Im all for saving a few quid but once you weigh up all the factors then an extra 80 quid saved on a UK sourced lens really isnt worth the saving......It could cost you a fortune in import duty, sending it back if it goes wrong..etc etc.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 5:59PM

Quote:I think I'm right in saying that Nikon have International warranties and Sigma have UK ones.

Oh I see....sorry about that.
3 Jan 2011 11:16PM
Hence my comments about considering a canon L series as they come with International warranties, while sigma come with UK one's. But to be fair to Sigma the last lens I bought from them was an EX lens and it came with a 3 year UK warranty which is very good.
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2011 5:03AM
Also remember, the much lauded L warrenty only lasts 3 years as well.
4 Jan 2011 9:47AM

Quote:Also remember, the much lauded L warrenty only lasts 3 years as well.
That's good I only ever got 1 year with my L Lenses. The advantage I see of the International Canon one is it is easy use the fast UK based service network, rather than packaging the lens off to HK then going into the relevant service network. also there is a fair chance of internet based companies going down, more so than the manufacturer, so it is far riskier. I thought 3 years from Sigma a good offer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.