Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

16:9 or 4:3

Ok, just wondering what the benefits of using 4:3 to 16:9 or vise versa 16:9 to 4:3 ratios are over each other?

Its clear what the main differences are but practically what is better etc etc?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
19 Jul 2012 5:11PM
Trick question?
No trick question...just something sensible.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2012 5:17PM
Depends on the end use. If it's prints then choose ratios that match the frames you plan to use. If you plan to display your pictures on a modern widescreen television or Android tablet then 16:9 matches. If you wanted to display your pictures on an old-fashioned TV or on an iPad then 4:3 is the aspect ratio they use.

Persoally I always shoot the full size and ratio of the sensor and crop later.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Jul 2012 7:11PM

Quote:

Personally I always shoot the full size and ratio of the sensor and crop later.

Ditto.

No point in closing down on your options until you have to.
Stillbase 3 63 Wales
19 Jul 2012 7:18PM
Agreed
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2012 9:30PM
Guys I think he means monitor aspect ratios.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2012 9:44PM
If you mean monitor, do you mean advantages/disadvantages for photo editing?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 Jul 2012 9:19AM
I think Adrian's referring to the camera, since his Sony produces 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios. So Chris L's advice makes good sense (except perhaps for users of the LX3/LX5/LX7 [to be] - where all aspect ratios save for 1:1 use the full image circle).
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
20 Jul 2012 11:54AM

Quote:No point in closing down on your options until you have to.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes a composition works better in one aspect ratio than another so cropping 'in the field' might actually help.
Cheers folks, but yeah GlennH your right its more of which option in the camera to use, always usually take photos in the 4:3 ration but tried playing around with the 16:9 (although true wide spreed is not 16:9).

As I said i know what the obvious differences are, likewise for displaying on screens..but do old school CRT screen still exist...hahaha.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Jul 2012 2:37PM

Quote:No point in closing down on your options until you have to.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes a composition works better in one aspect ratio than another so cropping 'in the field' might actually help.

But don't forget that, even with a 12 Mp sensor, you can make a high quality A3+ print from a landscape format shot cropped to portrait or a portrait format shot cropped to landscape.

We are well past the "olden days" of digital where resolution was so low that you had to decide whether to shoot landscape or portrait before pressing the button.

In fact, as an afterthought, I wonder why they don't give us a square format as the default. It worked so well in MF film cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.