Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

16GB only card formats to 8GB

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    old timer
    old timer  1055 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2007 - 10:40 PM

I'm currently using mainly a Canon 5D but have discovered that a Sandisk Extreme III 16GB card only formats to 7.8GB - either using the camera OR the computer. Does anyone else have experience of this, or any suggestions for a solution?

OT

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Sep 2007 - 10:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93447 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2007 - 11:38 PM

Sounds like a labelling error to me. Send it back.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    24 Sep 2007 - 11:57 PM

There are an awful lot of fake Sandisk Cards out there, hope you didn't get it on Ebay

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Sep 2007 - 12:29 AM

If it's a genuine Sandisk Extreme 111, 16GB, It should have come with a copy of Rescue pro, In this software you cam perform a wipe media option, Basically write zero's to the card, This will then allow you to reformat the card, Preferably in camera.....Smile

However before doing so check that you camera can format to the full 16 Gb capacity, As I'm not familiar with the 5D, If it can't then there may be a firmware update that will allow it to format beyond 8 GB.

Rescue Pro should also be able to tell you the full capacity of the card, Irrespective of what the label has upon it.

Hope that helps.....Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    samfurlong
    25 Sep 2007 - 7:04 AM

Check the 5D can support such a large card, if not do a firmware update.

edit... cameracat beat me to it!

Last Modified By samfurlong at 25 Sep 2007 - 7:04 AM
    old timer
    25 Sep 2007 - 9:08 AM

Useful suggestions, and I'm currently using Rescue Pro to wipe the card, though it looks like it's going to take a V E R Y long time indeed!! (30 mins so far, and it's barely started)

About the firmware update - I've already got the latest version of 1.1.0

In retrospect, I'm just sorry I bought a 16GB rather than two 8GB cards, which I did originally consider. Since I bought both the 5D and the card from Warehouse Express I wonder if they'd exchange the card?

OT

User_Removed
    25 Sep 2007 - 9:17 AM

Quote: Since I bought both the 5D and the card from Warehouse Express I wonder if they'd exchange the card?

Ask them. Going on personal past experience with WE, I'll be surprised if they don't change it for two 8's when you give them the history of your problem OT...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Sep 2007 - 9:17 AM
    old timer
    25 Sep 2007 - 9:50 AM

Just discovered after Googling - it's a known problem with the 5D. I tried phoning Warehouse Express, but they said that while they could take the card back they couldn't give me full credit for the cost of 180 as it had been used. I can't blame them, as it's Canon's fault and not really theirs. I'll just have to wait for a firmware upgrade from Canon.

OT

PS - Funnily enough, in my searches I discovered some information from people who said that you could format the card on the computer using a card reader and the camera would then see it as a full 16GB. Unfortunately when I do this the drop-down menu in the format option restricts you to 7.82GB and gives no other size options

Last Modified By old timer at 25 Sep 2007 - 9:54 AM
    Little Jo
    Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
    25 Sep 2007 - 6:27 PM

8 GB is the maximum capacity card supported by the 5D, it's on the Sandisk website.

"Maximum capacity for this device: May support up to 8GB
    Please check with your device manufacturer for details."

If you bought it along with the camera for use in that camera, it's not fit for purpose.

Jo

old timer
    25 Sep 2007 - 10:32 PM

Unfortunately I didn't buy it along with the 5D, so I've got little comeback. OTOH - it would have been extremely useful if Warehouse Express had explicitly stated in their advertising blurb that the card was not fully compatibile with the 5D, something which they must have known about but obviously didn't want to publicise. Oh well - bang goes 90 quid!

OT

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2007 - 9:20 AM

There is quite a bit of info on the web about this and some suggestion that Cannon may sort it in the next firmware update.

SanDisk posts a compatibility chart for cameras on their website and apparently the 5D and 30D
    are not listed.

Several people report that it can be formatted in Canon cameras that support 16GB cards then used in the 5D. Others report success in formatting (using a card reader) or adjusting partitions on their PC before using it in the camera.

Googling brings up a lot of info on this.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.