Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

17 year old drinking at private party

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 10:39 PM

Can someone clarify the law for me please?

We have a soon to be 18 yeR old sulking because we won't let her have a party in a hall with her friends, many of which won't yet be 18, but whom all most likely will eant to drink.

Are there any subtle rules like the one allowing 17 year olds to drink alcohol (not spirits) in a pub if they have it with a meal?

Many thanks
Jules

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jan 2012 - 10:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

skewey
skewey  831 forum posts England
9 Jan 2012 - 10:48 PM

Jules Ihope this helps

Pubs, restaurants and hotels in England and Wales

If you're under 16, you aren't normally allowed to go into a pub or other licensed premises where alcohol is sold and consumed unless you are accompanied by someone who is 18 or over.

If you're under 18, it is an offence for you to buy or attempt to buy alcohol. It is also an offence for someone else to buy it for you if you're under 18.

However, if you're aged 16 or 17, you are allowed to drink wine, beer, or cider (but not other alcohol) with a meal in a restaurant, hotel or part of a pub set apart for eating meals. You can only do this if someone aged 18 or over is with you at the meal and buys the alcohol.

If you are 16 or over, you can buy liqueur chocolates.

User_Removed
9 Jan 2012 - 10:50 PM

The laws around alcohol are to do with buying it and with consuming it on licensed premises. What kind of hall are you talking about and who is providing the alcohol? Isn't it better they celebrate where you guys know they are safe rather than in the local park?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Jan 2012 - 10:51 PM
Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 10:52 PM

You can find the legal details here but aside from the legal issues maybe you could point her to a more advisory route warning about the dangers of excessive alcohol such as alcohol concern?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012556 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: for someone under 18 to drink alcohol in licensed premises, with one exception - 16 and 17 year olds accompanied by an adult can drink but not buy beer, wine and cider with a table meal

That might be the law but sometimes the venue will still refuse to allow it, best check with your intended venue.

julesm
9 Jan 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks all, it would be in a hired hall. There would be no bar, but the teenagers would bring their own alcohol.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 11:05 PM

Quote: but the teenagers would bring their own alcohol

Then the provenance of the booze would be your biggest worry. Legally they can't buy their own and legally they can't have it bought for them.
Best check your wine cellar Smile

Jestertheclown
9 Jan 2012 - 11:07 PM

Quote: That might be the law but sometimes the venue will still refuse to allow it, best check with your intended venue.

Good idea.

I used to be a pub manager and I've encountered a few people trying to use the table meal rule as a loophole whereupon they'd simply buy a meal which they might not even touch simply to get drink. We used to refer to it as "the meal ticket" and soon learned whom we could and couldn't trust as soon as they asked.
More often than not, I'd refuse.

As an aside; the trainer manager that I trained with once advised me never to allow anyone to hold an 18th. or 21st. buirthday party in my pub. He reckoned they more trouble than they were worth.

Jester.

Jestertheclown
9 Jan 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quote: the teenagers would bring their own alcohol.

In that case, I think you'd be breaking the law just by allowing that to happen.

Whoops, Boyd just said that.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 9 Jan 2012 - 11:09 PM
User_Removed
9 Jan 2012 - 11:12 PM

It is not illegal for a person under 18 to drink alcohol at home or at a friendís house. Parents can choose to give young people some of their own alcohol when at home. I think that might extend to places you rent such as a holiday cottage or a hall that's private and not open to the public and isn't lichened premises. Have a word with your local police station.

julesm
9 Jan 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks all
I shall call the local police station and report back

Jules

Jestertheclown
9 Jan 2012 - 11:24 PM

You're right re. the youngsters being allowed to drink it under certain circumstances Chris but the problem with the law would arise concerning their posession of it in the first place.
At some point, someone would have had to provide it and I'm not sure that the 'giving them some of your own' ruse would work here.
All of which is probably academic anyway. Provided everyone behaves themselves, I don't supose anyone need be any the wiser.
I agree that a chat with your local licensing officer would be a very good idea.
Better still, check first with the provider of the hall. They might simply say no to alcohol under any circumstances.

User_Removed
9 Jan 2012 - 11:34 PM

Quote: I'm not sure that the 'giving them some of your own' ruse would work

Why wouldn't it?

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
10 Jan 2012 - 12:40 AM

Quote: and isn't lichened premises.

You sound like a fun-gi.

User_Removed
10 Jan 2012 - 12:44 AM

There's not mushroom in those places.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.