Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

18-55 range

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    funkeldink
    funkeldink  101592 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2009 - 11:43 AM

hi .. i have plenty of lenses now but want something to replace the 18-55mm kit lens the canon came with my 350d ... i use a 50d and generally like sigma ... what do you recommend i get to replace ... thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2009 - 11:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geraint
    Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi Fred, how you doing? I used to have the Sigma 18-50 2.8 and it was a great lens. I traded it in for the Canon 17-40 which works out as quite a good walkabout lens on a crop body.
    Geraint

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2009 - 12:06 PM

Looking at your portfolio you look pretty accomplished at what you do. If you were a "new starter" I'd be recommending the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5. In fact. I'd still recommend it as it's a good lens as an all-rounder, and relatively cheap but better quality than the Canon kit lenses (in my opinion).

The close focus of 20cm from the sensor plane throughout the whole zoom range can allow some funky close-ups. Though you may also want to look at the 17-50 or 18-50 f/2.8 models on offer from Sigma and Tamron and Canon.

Do you have any specific requirements, or just wanting to replace the 18-55 range with something new?

Gep
    Gep  537 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Oct 2009 - 4:03 PM

I too am looking to replace my Canon 18-55 kit and have settled on the Tamron 18-50 f2.8 as it comes highly recommended by a lot of people I've talked to/read, it was a very close race between it and the Sigma version.

Picture_Newport

Quote: I used to have the Sigma 18-50 2.8

I would reccoment this lens also, I have one and love it.

Paul

Cristian
    Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2009 - 9:30 PM

I replaced my kit lens with a canon 28-105 mk II 3.5 lens. Maybe a bt long for some people, but pretty sharp & produces great colours.

jondf
    jondf  82475 forum posts
    13 Oct 2009 - 1:59 PM

Quote: I too am looking to replace my Canon 18-55 kit and have settled on the Tamron 18-50 f2.8 as it comes highly recommended by a lot of people I've talked to/read, it was a very close race between it and the Sigma version.

Yep, the Tammy 18-50 f2.8 would be a good choice. I picked one up new from HK for 239 post free but caught a dose of DHL-itis. They always seem to be the ones that chase the tax Grin (30 quid in this case Sad)

Last Modified By jondf at 13 Oct 2009 - 2:00 PM
    FrankRobinson
    15 Oct 2009 - 1:35 PM

I went through the same decision cycle and settled on the Canon 17-55 IS. Outstanding lens. I can't really comment on the other two but the combination of L-grade glass, IS and f2.8 all the way through made my mind up.

I have not regretted it for one second! (On a 50D)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.