Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

180mm macro sticking aperture. :(

annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
18 Jun 2012 6:27PM
Well here is a warning for you all.
While I have been enchanted with 180mm lens during about 11 months , I took 4758 photos with it.
Sound good, does it. Only till on Thursday the aperture started to stick. I had to take pictures of some UJs at work and they came out completely overexposes. Started fiddling with my camera, wrong settin? no.
Took the other shots with my 70-300 VR Nikkor cause the job needed doing. fiddled again.
Tried on Friday and took nothing but rubbish.
Took the back ring off, and after 17 frustrating attempts decided it is unrepairable.

that is extremely frustrating if you buy a pro grade lens and you find the aperture linkage to be made of mild pressed steel, not prper hard steel. also the hole ring is soft and bends easily.
I have taken some pictures of the offending article and will put some links in later.

Has anyone had the same experience? The reason for my problem seems to be the same as for may other of their recent lenses. I have never experienced anything like it with ANY other lens I have owned. The aperture certainly was better designed in all the adaptall models or the metal class Nikkors I own.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
18 Jun 2012 7:22PM
Why didn't you send your lens off for repair? instead of dismantling it yourself?

The aperture blades should be soft. They need to be very thin and light to react quickly enough.
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
18 Jun 2012 7:31PM
I'm not talking about the BLADES. It is the linkage Smile which should NOT be soft.

Send off? I live in France. You send something to a French service - say goodbye to it for 3 months.
chavender e2
4 224 1 France
18 Jun 2012 8:18PM
That soon?
18 Jun 2012 8:35PM

Quote:I'm not talking about the BLADES. It is the linkage

That's fair enough. I wsn't certain from your initial post.

Quote:say goodbye to it for 3 months

Surely even 3 months is better than forever? Sad
crookymonsta e2
6 704 10 England
19 Jun 2012 11:00AM
Isn't it still under warranty?
19 Jun 2012 1:42PM
Not now it's been dismantled.
jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2012 1:42PM
I had sticky blades on my 35mm f2. The guys who repaired it told me the problem usually occurs when a lens is stored somewhere hot and dry (like France for instance Smile ). Cost me about 40 to sort.
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
19 Jun 2012 2:27PM
No it is the LINKAGE that is the problem. Looked like a spring gone belly up, but the whole linkage is dragging. it is simply very bad design. the flimsy soft bit sticking out here drives the ring in here, next to the second screw from left
the engineers blue is ours, that was used to find where it is dragging. But the soft ring ditorst immediately.
Compare to this here, dismantled from a 28-45 ancient nikkor zoom that I have used for spares (it works but the optics are pretty useless.) You find a ball race . that guarantees free movement

here you can see the thickness of the linkage, by comparison.
I will probably get another macro and send them the defective one for repair and put it on ebay straight away.
Unless Tamron can come up with a bright idea how to fix this design flaw.
just look in google, I'm not the only one Sad
19 Jun 2012 5:42PM
If tank-like build quality is what you're after, then it might be worth looking at the Nikon 200mm f/4 Micro if you're going to buy a replacement.

It'll probably last longer than you or I will Wink

It's not cheap though. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.