Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

180mm macro sticking aperture. :(

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2012 - 6:27 PM

Well here is a warning for you all.
    While I have been enchanted with 180mm lens during about 11 months , I took 4758 photos with it.
    Sound good, does it. Only till on Thursday the aperture started to stick. I had to take pictures of some UJs at work and they came out completely overexposes. Started fiddling with my camera, wrong settin? no.
    Took the other shots with my 70-300 VR Nikkor cause the job needed doing. fiddled again.
    Tried on Friday and took nothing but rubbish.
    Took the back ring off, and after 17 frustrating attempts decided it is unrepairable.

that is extremely frustrating if you buy a pro grade lens and you find the aperture linkage to be made of mild pressed steel, not prper hard steel. also the hole ring is soft and bends easily.
    I have taken some pictures of the offending article and will put some links in later.

Has anyone had the same experience? The reason for my problem seems to be the same as for may other of their recent lenses. I have never experienced anything like it with ANY other lens I have owned. The aperture certainly was better designed in all the adaptall models or the metal class Nikkors I own.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jun 2012 - 6:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

theorderingone
    18 Jun 2012 - 7:22 PM

Why didn't you send your lens off for repair? instead of dismantling it yourself?

The aperture blades should be soft. They need to be very thin and light to react quickly enough.

annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2012 - 7:31 PM

I'm not talking about the BLADES. It is the linkage Smile which should NOT be soft.

Send off? I live in France. You send something to a French service - say goodbye to it for 3 months.

chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2012 - 8:18 PM

That soon?

theorderingone
    18 Jun 2012 - 8:35 PM

Quote: I'm not talking about the BLADES. It is the linkage

That's fair enough. I wsn't certain from your initial post.

Quote: say goodbye to it for 3 months

Surely even 3 months is better than forever? Sad

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6689 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2012 - 11:00 AM

Isn't it still under warranty?

theorderingone
    19 Jun 2012 - 1:42 PM

Not now it's been dismantled.

jimthistle73
    19 Jun 2012 - 1:42 PM

I had sticky blades on my 35mm f2. The guys who repaired it told me the problem usually occurs when a lens is stored somewhere hot and dry (like France for instance Smile ). Cost me about 40 to sort.

annettep38
    19 Jun 2012 - 2:27 PM

No it is the LINKAGE that is the problem. Looked like a spring gone belly up, but the whole linkage is dragging. it is simply very bad design. the flimsy soft bit sticking out here drives the ring in here, next to the second screw from left
    the engineers blue is ours, that was used to find where it is dragging. But the soft ring ditorst immediately.
    Compare to this here, dismantled from a 28-45 ancient nikkor zoom that I have used for spares (it works but the optics are pretty useless.) You find a ball race. that guarantees free movement

here you can see the thickness of the linkage, by comparison.
    I will probably get another macro and send them the defective one for repair and put it on ebay straight away.
    Unless Tamron can come up with a bright idea how to fix this design flaw.
    just look in google, I'm not the only one Sad

Last Modified By annettep38 at 19 Jun 2012 - 2:29 PM
    theorderingone
    19 Jun 2012 - 5:42 PM

If tank-like build quality is what you're after, then it might be worth looking at the Nikon 200mm f/4 Micro if you're going to buy a replacement.

It'll probably last longer than you or I will Wink

It's not cheap though. Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.