Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

1d mark Iv

sjk123 9 286 England
11 Mar 2012 4:17PM
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a 1dmk4 ,before i order one i would like to know if there are any known problems with this camera .?
Whats the iso like ?
does it have focusing problems like the mark 3?
any advice welcome
Thanks
Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

skydivemike 10 47 Northern Ireland
11 Mar 2012 6:40PM
Hi Simon,

I have been using the MK4 now for over a year and I have not encountered any issues. I can strongly suggest that you buy one. It's the best camera that i have. I also have the 5DMK2 and I prefer the MK4

Enjoy.

Mike.
sjk123 9 286 England
11 Mar 2012 6:50PM
Hi Mike.
Thanks for the info .
sjk123 9 286 England
24 Mar 2012 3:23PM
well got it today ....
not to sure if its me but the af seems to be off ...???
out of 30 shots i took 1 was in focus .
any help or advice please .
User_Removed 11 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 3:47PM
Need some more information really. How many lenses have you tried and which one(s) didn't focus properly? What focal point (or group of) did you choose if at all?

Could a previous owner have set microadjustments in camera to fine tune one of his lenses and you are now using the same lens (but a different copy of it)? Have you tried reverting to factory settings?
sjk123 9 286 England
24 Mar 2012 3:58PM
hi chris ,
its a 100-400 lens ai servo . and the camera is new . so when i got it today i done a factory reset and then went from there .
the af system takes a bit of reading about so spent an hour reading up on it . just to make sure .
the centre point was used with assisted points first . then turned the assisted points off with still no joy . then set all 45 points . same thing ,
then took some static shots and some are ok but some the camera seems to be focusing past the subject . i can take the one down of the dog and put another one up to show you what is happening ?
simon
24 Mar 2012 4:12PM
Sounds like a problem with the camera. It would be very useful to rule out whether the camera or lens is definitely to blame. Has your 100-400 been used before and has it got a good track record is there another lens you can borrow or try. Are the lens contacts clean / shiny? You needn't remove Smudge I can imagine the scenario.

Might be useful to set up on a tripod with static objects on a table and do some tests.
24 Mar 2012 4:19PM
I think you might find this very useful Simon. It talks about correcting back focus using micro adjustments for your set up

http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/1DIV_focus_guide/1div_focus_guide.html
sjk123 9 286 England
24 Mar 2012 4:22PM
thanks chris
i will do some test shots tomorrow .
i have used the 100-400 on my 5dmk2 with no problems , i do understand what you mean about that lens as i had to take my first one back .
i have put my 24-105 and 16-35 on the 1d and got some good but more bad then good ..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.