Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

1D MKIII

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ann_C
Ann_C  7
30 Jul 2007 - 1:30 PM

After reading this I'm now a little sceptical, I found a lot of reviews on the net some saying they were having problems with the AF. Then I find just as many saying they love it and others say its poo! I have mine on order and its a huge amount of money to find out its just not right. I've gone right in at the deep end with this camera and am praying its not going to be troublesome. Fingers crossed, at least I've got it coming from a shop on not ordered over the internet so if anything does go wrong I've got somewhere to go and scream and stamp my feet.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2007 - 1:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peter shilton
31 Jul 2007 - 4:51 PM

Well it's come.

What a beast. It's like learning to drive all over again!

It is a good job it hasn't live ammo else I would've machine gunned about 100 people.

The AF is so amazing, I am sure the problem is most Americans don't understand it. They probably want it to focus on the thing their eye is looking at!!

It was serial no 524*** so is new. Had 1.0.8 firmware in it which I has changed to the new 1.1.0 which was released today.

Only one problem so far, my wife knows how much it cost! And do I really need it? And what do you mean, it doesn't fit all your other lenses, what do you mean it won't fit in your bag!

Last Modified By peter shilton at 31 Jul 2007 - 4:53 PM
stevekhart
31 Jul 2007 - 5:00 PM

Better update your pf peter, as it suggests that the 300D would be all you would ever need - hope your wife can't remember you saying that! Wink

john short
john short  1025 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Aug 2007 - 6:07 PM

I've had a few e-mails from epz members lately asking what I think of my new toy ( 1D MK111) so here's what I said to them !

( they are interested in weddings and wildlife with the same camera )

What can I say, the 1d mk111 is without doubt my best camera to date. I have the 5D and the 20D passed the 300D to my wife and sold the 10D. Guess I like Canon.

I will keep the 5D, the full frame sensor is brilliant for wide angle shots. The 1.3 multiplyer of the 1D would be a nuisance with 14mm lens.

I think the image noise is much less with the 1D, more than compensates for the less pixels. The auto focus and alservo on the 1D is brilliant. Following the Puffins in flight was a breeze.

The high speed frame capture has to be seen to be believed. Again in action shots ( in flight ) just superb.

I've tried the camera at ISO 1600 and can get usable images. I would have no hesitation of using ISO 400 for an A3 shot, and ISO 800 is great with a little noise reduction.

As the multiplyer is only 1.3 is will be fine for weddings with a 28-200 lens ( my most used lens )

The vibration system for dust on the sensor is worth it's weight in gold. The 5D has been cleaned every three months. the large sensor has a large static charge and attracts dust much more than any of my other Canon cameras .

In theory the 5D would make a better wedding camera but the 1D is better for wildlife. Most wedding pics are only 10 x 8 and you would not see any difference in the pixel count. I've A3 prints from both cameras and can't tell the diffference ( exscept I think the 1D has a less image noise and better colour ( 14bit )

Got the money? go for the 1D I honestly believe it to be better than the 5D in every way except wide angle ( don't use that a lot at weddings or wildlife ). Me well I'll leave the 17-40 on the 5D, interchange with the 14mm but everything else will be off the 1D

Believe me it's brilliant. Every time I use the camera I never fail to feel a sense of excitement...................just listen to the shutter.................the build.everything is just spot on. Not one complaint so far !

Hope this all helps.

regards

john

Last Modified By john short at 1 Aug 2007 - 6:09 PM
paulthepunk
4 Aug 2007 - 7:57 AM

Sorry, one question about the 1D 3, why have they used an aps-H sensor? Surely the beauty of canon pro lines is the full frame, whats going on?!

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2007 - 8:30 AM

paulthepunk , canon have never used a full sensor on the eos1d , it has a 1.3 sensor

the eos1DS range has the full sensor

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2007 - 2:04 PM

Quote: Sorry, one question about the 1D 3, why have they used an aps-H sensor?

Primarily frame speed. When you have 10fps something has to give!

The fps is the primary reason for buying the 1D Mk III although its seems sports togs do appreciate the extra apparent "reach" the 1.3 crop sensor gives to tele lenses.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 4 Aug 2007 - 2:05 PM
fishiee
fishiee  10460 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2007 - 3:22 PM

extra reach, cuts out the 'crappy bits' at the edges of the lens, cheaper, less pixels to process so you get the fps etc... I'd rather have 1.3x than full frame I think... though I've used neither!

May have to give one a try when it's in the shops tho!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
4 Aug 2007 - 3:48 PM

Quote: Extra reach, cuts out the 'crappy bits' at the edges of the lens, cheaper, less pixels to process so you get the fps etc... I'd rather have 1.3x than full frame I think... though I've used neither!

I've never understood the so called "extra reach", bearing in mind that the bigger sensor has more or less the same pixel density if I do a 1.6 crop from a full framer I end up with an image of equal resolution than I would have got from a 1.6 cropper.

Rather than cutting out the crappy bits I see two major advantages with this. The 1st is that I have more flexibility with the cropping, so I have more options in framing the final Image and can chose which crappy bits to cut out. The 2nd is that the full framer reduces the risk of clipping the image (e.g cutting the wing tip of a bird in flight).

The only disadvantage that I can see is the reduced frame rate, which is the reason that I chose a 5D to go with my 1D Mk 2

Last Modified By cambirder at 4 Aug 2007 - 3:48 PM
peter shilton
6 Aug 2007 - 1:08 PM

Just an update on my camera.

It came last week so took it to Snettisham Regatta to try it out.

Blazingly fast shutter speed, lovely. Until 400 pics in, err99. Take battery out, restart. Still the same.

I take one pic, have to wait about 4 secs then I hear a "clunk". I can then take one more.

I was NOT happy!

It's on its way back for a refund.

Anyone got a MKII they don't want?

Geoffphoto
6 Aug 2007 - 1:12 PM

Well you will buy these cheap Canons Peter !! Smile

peter shilton
6 Aug 2007 - 1:18 PM

Get on with your vacuuming, Geoff!

I was going to get Nikon stuff but didin't want people to think I was that type of person!

And you obvioulsy realise your mistake or else you wouldn't have priced up how much it would cost you to change!!!

Smile

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 1:35 PM

Quote: Anyone got a MKII they don't want?

I just put a 1D MKII in the adds section here...

peter shilton
6 Aug 2007 - 1:45 PM

I have PM'd you

keithh
keithh  1022720 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 2:30 PM

So you go backwards because you happened, it would seem, to purchase a faulty camera......I'll need that explaining to me.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.