Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

1D MKIII

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

peter shilton
6 Aug 2007 - 2:58 PM

Explanation on current thinking: (with apologies to various sites)
1d mark II shoots at an actual 8.3fps
1d mark III shoots at an actual 9.6 fps
That's only 1.3 fps better?

Why pay double the price of a 1d2 (on ebay mint) for a camera that only shoots 1.3fps faster?

Ok ok sure yes i know it also has 1.8 megapixel more.. lol! thats it?!

Ok let see, what else... micro lens adjustments? As long as most lenses work perfectly on your camera, then when you get a lens that doesn't hit the focus dead on, you know it's the lens, not the camera.
What else does the 1d3 have that makes it worth paying £1500 more... a 3" screen? How much is that worth? How much did sony charge canon for that? £1000? lol i thought i could buy a 40" TV for £1000.

The only think that looks good about the 1d3 for me is it's cleaner ISO.

Should we even get into AF? I won't even bring up all the issues, but what was wrong with the ULTRA fast 1d2 auto focus? Nothing. It was awesome, and super ultra fast.
So for £1500 you get a camera which as
1.3fps
1.8 megapixel
cleaner ISO past ISO1000
AF that on paper should be faster than an already instant AF on the 1d2
I took a load of pics before it packed up and to be honest they weren't noticably better than my 20D, although haven't had a chance to sit and analyse them thouroughly as yet.
Having 2 bodies was excellent for taking the sailing pics yesterday, rather than swappinglenses in the sand, so if I can get a good 1D MKII for £1200 maybe that is the way to go.

I have already had to buy a 24-105 as my 17-85 wouldn't have fitted.

OR a 40D?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2007 - 2:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mr_Oy
Mr_Oy  7
28 Sep 2007 - 3:10 PM

You obviously can't afford one then!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2007 - 3:15 PM

Live view?

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2007 - 8:58 AM

Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but apparently a hardware fix is coming for the 1D Mk3 focussing issue.

see here

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2007 - 10:30 AM

I've picked up on the fact that prices of the 1DMkIII are tumbling Smile

irweazel
irweazel  8167 forum posts England
25 Oct 2007 - 1:41 PM

Canon UK are still sticking to the " there is no recognised fault on the 1D Mk III" and also there is no confirmed release of the new firmware but if you make to a service centre they would load it on

I have just sent mine back to the RCC and hope that the Canon USA press release hits the UK and they do that or that it might only need a slight calibration

ahollowa
ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
25 Oct 2007 - 2:01 PM

Quote: micro lens adjustments? As long as most lenses work perfectly on your camera, then when you get a lens that doesn't hit the focus dead on, you know it's the lens, not the camera

An article in EOS mag says this feature isn't aimed at calibrating lenes. The intention is for sports. The example given was for runners crossing the line. It is easier focusing on the chest but you really want the eyes in focus. Therefore if you back focus by a given amount the chest will be ahead of focus and the eyes in focus.

sounds complex and risky to me!!

cheers

Al.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2007 - 6:25 PM

woops

1D MK3 pulled from dealers

according to this letter.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
27 Oct 2007 - 6:37 PM

If it isn't fit for the use it was purchased for - ie faulty - can they ONLY accept it for repair not replacement or refund legally?

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2007 - 8:26 PM

As long as they offer to make good they are OK.

If the device is very new then yes you have a case for asking for money back, but if its a few months old and you have been managing to use it then they can argue it is not a fit for purpose issue. Rather they can claim that by offering to repair they providing you with what you bought, just the same if they repaired under warranty.

You see if you could not use the camera for its intended purpose you would have taken it back. If you have had it for a period of time and not returned it to dealer etc, then it will be taken as read that it is doing what it was sold to you to do.

Not in the legal profession but that is how I understand the law, and how I have seen it applied.

Last Modified By strawman at 27 Oct 2007 - 8:31 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2007 - 8:45 PM

Quote: I've picked up on the fact that prices of the 1DMkIII are tumbling

The price needs to drop, it now has a contender.

BradUK
BradUK  9553 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2007 - 10:09 AM

Don't think the recent price drops are much to do with competition, they've dropped to the prices that second tier suppliers have advertised for ages (ie. the market price they considered would be the case once they finally receive stock)

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2007 - 10:22 AM

the prices can drop for whatever reason they like Smile

StevenPrice
16 Dec 2007 - 4:47 PM

price drop that will be apart from at jessops then.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.