Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

1ds banding issues?

6 Oct 2012 11:17AM
I just last week got a 1ds ii, chose it over a lot of others, and even switched to Canon as I wanted a full frame within my budget, and although it's old, I wanted a workhorse and couldn't afford the MKiii. Anyhow, it all seemed in mint condition, low shutter count, and couldn't wait to get him out...just today got back from the first trip away with him and on reviewing my images what do I find but these strange lines everywhere...what the HELL is going on?!

It's mostly in the shadows, and quite a bit in midtones...been through all my shots and it's on damn nearly every one....funny thing though, not EVERY one? So I checked it at different ISO's, shutter speeds, settings etc, and it doesn't seem to make a difference...it's not from bad exposure and pushing it. In fact nearly every shot has been taken with "standard" parameters and "Adobe RGB" colour space, shooting RAW. I did do a couple of JPEGS, and there was still the issue in them too...

I have attached a file of my dog...this is at 67% to show the spread of it across different tonal ranges. I know a border collie will test the dynamic range of most things Tongue but the exposure hasn't been pushed at all, it is almost as if someone had laid a "grid" over my shots...very strange.
Does anyone have any advice or ideas on what this is? I am nontheless very disappointed and literally bankrupt myself to get this body...and I can't send it back for repair etc as I bought it secondhand!1-banding.jpg

Thanks in advance Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Oct 2012 12:53PM
Sorry but the pic of the banding isn't very clear on the screen, looks like a smudge in the top left of the pic. Sorry to ask but is the sensor clean, it's not smeared by someone not cleaning it properly.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Oct 2012 12:55PM
I can see the vertical banding. It is not a dirty sensor issue.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
6 Oct 2012 12:59PM
i can see the banding looks like you might be after your money back to me :-(
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
6 Oct 2012 1:01PM
I can see it too, although I've no idea what's causing it.

Do you have an image where it's more obvious?
6 Oct 2012 2:55PM
Ahh see it now, just! The old eyesight isn't as good as it once was and the room was too bright earlier. I've seen or had something similar a few years ago when I had a 1Ds mk2. It started to appear on images I shot at a wedding and was on a couple of dozen images only. I sent the camera for an estimate for a repair to AJ Johnstone in Glasgow. They wanted to either calibrate the camera for about 250 or if that didn't work then replace the sensor for an eye watering 1400! I didn't take up either offer as I spoke to a Canon rep at a Calumet Open day and he said it was very unusual for a sensor to need replacing or calibration. I removed the battery from the camera and left it overnight, resetting the camera by deleting all the custom settings and I might have reinstalled the firmware, sorry cant remember exactly as it was a few years ago. The result was the camera was fine and the problem never re-occurred. If nothing else it's worth a try!
7 Oct 2012 5:58AM
hi.
dont panic !!Smile
its an easy fix,some of those models had an issue with that banding problem,there is a free firmware upgrade from canon,just go online at canon, check there firmware updates, download and it will all be gone.
pro canon dealers in your area will do it for free if you take the body in.
good luck.
7 Oct 2012 8:05PM
Hi all, so I have reset the camera to it's defaults, reformatted all the cards and reinstalled the firmware...only to find...the problem is STILL there! Sad Any further ideas? I can't get to the nearest pro Canon dealer without lots of hassle and expense as they are 200 miles away in Bristol...FFS is all that comes to mind!
9 Oct 2012 2:19PM
hi
i just came back to this thread to see if you were sorted.seems you aren`t.
not sure how you reinstalled the firmware but if you go to the official uk canon site, scratch around there and there is an article about the banding issue with some of those model cameras,they then link you to the firmware fix.
this was a very common problem in a certain batch of cameras,it can be sorted, phone canon pro dept and have a chat with someone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.