Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

1ds mk2 or 7d

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    iannidan
    iannidan  562 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Mar 2013 - 1:15 PM

I do all sorts of photography mainly as a hobby, so full frame v crop and image quality, which one to choose.
    thanks in advance
    Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Mar 2013 - 1:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2013 - 1:19 PM

Go for M4/3. It's even used by some pros. Smile

iannidan
    16 Mar 2013 - 1:24 PM

i have a 7d already so don`t want to change systems really, i do like the Olympus though, just a little small for my hands.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2013 - 1:27 PM

Quote: i do like the Olympus though, just a little small for my hands

The grip will sort that - many have found. Smile

If you want to stick with Canon, then I suspect - looking at your pf - the 7D might suit you better.

ColinEJ
    ColinEJ  7 United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2013 - 2:07 PM

Take the 7D every time.

Digic II processor and 8.2 mp are just too old hat compared to your 7D. You would need to be looking at the 1D MKIV to make it worthwhile.

iannidan
    22 Mar 2013 - 9:46 AM

Colin it was a 1ds mk11 which if full frame, 16 mp

ColinEJ
    22 Mar 2013 - 7:12 PM

I missed that, but it doesn't change my advice.

You already have 18mp, against the 16 of the 1Ds, but of even more importance is your twin Digic 4 processors against a single Digic 2. That extra processing power, speed and much newer algorithms all ad up to a quality file and great response at higher ISO's over the 1Ds. You also have the advantage of higher speeds, better lock on and tracking and a larger rear screen. Things move so quickly in digital, that invariably, newer is nearly always better.

keithh
    keithh  1022556 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2013 - 7:28 PM

I have no idea how a look at your portfolio can make anyone say one or the other. It's newer tech versus more functionality and build quality.

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 6294 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom221 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2013 - 7:45 PM

If you want full frame and the latest technology then I would recommend you find the extra for the 5d III. Similar in handling to the 7d with great quality in tonal range. Low light/high ISO is tremendous and a massive step up from the original 5d.

I know it's not the question you asked however if you can justify spending 2k on a camera body then I feel the 5d mkIII will give you all you need and more Grin

ColinEJ
    23 Mar 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quote: I have no idea how a look at your portfolio can make anyone say one or the other.

Ian was after an opinion, rather than a cast iron solution and in forming any opinion, it would be reasonable to temper any judgement of just the merits of each model, against his photographic preferences.

Looking at his portfolio there are 33 entries, which break down into categories as follows:

42% Wildlife
    21% Sport
    21% Flowers/trees
    3% Candid People
    2% Other

Whilst it is quite obvious that this does not represent all of the images he has ever taken, it is indicative of his preferences, or at the very least, those preferences he wishes to show to other ePHOTOzine members. There is no evidence of any studio work, or landscape, for which the 1Ds excelled in it's day. I noted that 63% of his portfolio is wildlife and sport, which is bread an butter to the 7D and 63% is significant enough not to be a statistical anomaly. There is also no evidence that Ian needs, or desires, the extra build quality of the 1Ds and being a professional tool, it is likely that the extra shutter actuations will have been more than used up in the hands of a pro.

So, based on his original request, the information that he does all sorts of photography, an analysis of his portfolio as an indicator and my knowledge and experience, I formed an opinion and offered it for his consideration. No doubt others have done the same and Ian will have a body of opinion from which to make his choice.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 7:23 PM

I would say APS-C, in particular the 7D for its AF system in wildlife/sports photography. And I would not pass that up for the 1DS2.

If you are inending to buy the 1DS2 to supplement the 7D you have an interesting choice (one I am playing with): stack the money for the 1DS2 aside. Then add the sale value of the 7D plus any APS-C lenses and you may have enough to buy the 5D3 - you will have the best of both worlds of a FF body with a AF system that is equal to or better than the 7D and better low light performance. Until the 5D3 came along that was only really possible by going to the 1D(s) series.
    In April they will be releasing a firmware update for the 5D3 that will enable it to AF at f8, opening up the options of putting a teleconverter onto f5.6 lenses.

keithh
    27 Mar 2013 - 5:38 AM

Another urban legend is the one that an ex-Pro's camera will have more shutter actuations. We tend to shoot what we need to shoot which results in less clickety click.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:12 AM

Quote: We tend to shoot what we need to shoot which results in less clickety click.

Not all pros seem quite that discerning though, Keith! Especially the machine-gun toting new breed. When I bought a 1-series brick from a pro the shutter actuation count was... considerable (220,000). I've been resting the poor thing ever since.

keithh
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:43 AM

Oh I'm not saying its a carte blanch thing anymore than the other legend of an ex-pro's camera will have been treated badly as we are constantly rolling them around a car boot. Wink

J_MacT
    J_MacT  1
    12 Apr 2013 - 10:46 PM

I'm not sure if Keith still uses his 1Ds11, but I certainly use mine regularly alongside a couple of 1Dx's and a Mkiv.
    I doubt I will ever get rid of it simply because it has by far the best colour rendition of ANY camera that I've ever owned. Sure the X walks all over it in high ISO work, but you'd be surprised how close the older camera comes to keeping up with the new one in the AF dept. If you've ever shot with Provia 100F slide film, the 1Ds comes really close to it in terms of colour, reds are not too saturated and files are smooth to about 800ISO. I have tried a 7D but hated the viewfinder blackout and the slightly longer shutter delay when shooting sport when compared to any one series.
    My 1Ds 11 is over seven years old and has only got slightly over 100000 clicks on it, gets serviced regularly and has never given any cause for concern. FPS is not a problem with it, even shooting sport and action is easy when you can just time the subject instead of machine gunning it. WHere the Mk11 shows its age is the small buffer size and even when using fast cards it still takes a good while to clear. Battery life is OK, but not on a par with Li-On ones of the more modern bodies.
    Pick up a decent 2nd hand one for less than 700and you will not regret buying it

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.