Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

1st attempt at outside Macro - flower

19 Sep 2010 12:23PM
Went to a local park yesterday with my D60 to try a few macro shots. All the ones i took were pretty poor but this one turned out ok(ish)??

Used a nikon D60 with the 18-55mm kit lens on and a +10 screw on diopter lens. No additional lighting used as i dont have any lol!!

And constructive comments are appreciated (was trying to go for an artistic looks??)

flower1.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janehewitt e2
11 215 1 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2010 12:34PM
Looks good and artistic as you say but I think you needed to keep the whole of the yellow centre in the shot OR go for a much more drastic crop where it is obvious you only wanted about 1/4 of the centre in the shot. pleasing image non the less JaneSmile
19 Sep 2010 5:20PM
Thanks for your feedback Jane, very new to Macro so got loads to learn. Am enjoying it though Smile
19 Sep 2010 5:51PM
I just developed a love of macro photography, especially flowers, wasps and spiders.

You've taken a very nice photo, if you pulled the camera back a little you would have got a little more of the flower in focus, however I really like the shot as it is.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2010 9:08PM
Excellent shot Matt, lots of macro fans here. Good DOF on yours.
Leathers - yep me too.
francisg e2
10 703 1 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2010 9:25PM
A good attempt at your first macro shot. The Colour saturation is good. It is a god thing to keep the Aperture as small as the light will allow. This will give a good depth of field, which in Macro work is very narrow.
23 Sep 2010 7:39PM
As francisq says, the biggest hurdle in macro work is DOF which, due to the closeness of the subject, is very shallow, therefore for stationary macro subjects, such as flowers and the like, use a tripod so that you can use the smallest possible apertures (therefore slow shutter) to improve the DOF.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2010 11:53AM
DOF is probably the most subjective part of macro work though. Personally, I love the limited depth in this one, and would find it a little boring (certainly a lot less artistic) if it was sharp from front to back.
27 Sep 2010 10:28PM
Thanks for your kind works guys, very much appreciate Grin
One thing you might want to try to close-up shots of flowers is avoid looking down (because there's already million of photos of every flower like that) and rather get low so the flowers are almost level with the camera or get down on the grass and look up a bit. I would have tried a shorter depth of field and also get more of the flower in sharp focus. The "artistic" part should be the background, not the subject itself otherwise everything looks blured.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.