Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

1st photo event for a 30th birthday on a canal boat!

jowilde 9 6 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2009 11:57PM
I am quite new to photograpy and my sister has asked me to be her official photography at her party that is on a canal boat , the most pictures of people i have took is of my 2 children.

I have a cannon 1000d with a 18-55mm lens and wondered if anyone had any hints or tips for taking photos on a boat, it will probably be dark lighting so will probably need the flash but wondered what would be the best settings for my camera in the different modes.

Any help would be fantastic as i want to get some really good pictures for her.
Thanks
Joanne

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2009 9:12AM
Hi Joanne,

It seems as though you've hit a quiet period on the forums - so one would have usually answered your question by now.

I have no experience of canal boats so I can't advise from experience. However, given the narrow setting it is likely that you will get more use out of the wider side of your lens - so don't worry that the lens won't be upto the job. Don't be afraid to approach your subjects and shoot close range - but be careful not to distort their features too heavily. Also have a read of your manaual and see if your camera will allow exposure compensation when used with flash - this will help minimise overexposure when shooting as such close range. Also - if the weather permits - think about shooting outside the boat. This will give much more freedom compositionally and crucially more space.

Finally, its all about having a good time - not about worrying about the pictures! I doubt your sister would not want you to enjoy the party too. Do you best, have fun and let the results of the images you take worry about themselves.

Rgds,

Adam
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Sep 2009 2:21PM
I photographed a stag do on a boat Smile

was drunk at the time, but my top tips would be to use a high ish ISO setting and a wideish aperture if possible.

a lot depends on the number of windows on the boat, boat tour ones will have lots, so you may get away with out flash. If you find you're getting slow shutter speeds (less than 1/50th say) then pop the flash up and use that.

Main thing is to be part of the party as well - don't just be the photographer, if you're having a laugh people react better to you and you'll get better shots.

well it happened on my boat trip anyway Smile
jowilde 9 6 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2009 2:35PM
Hi
Thanks for the tips adam and ade, i have another lens which is a 70 - 300mm which i don't think im gonna take due to i do want to have a few drinks and enjoy the party so don't want to be changing lenses and i don't think ill be up to it after a few drinks Wink

I have seen pictures of the boat and it has got a lot of windows but with it going dark earlier to i don't think there will be a lot of light coming through them. But i will try and and also get some pictures outside to if i can.

Ill also have alook at the exposure compensation on my camera over the next few days and have a play to see what may be the better settings.

Thanks for your help
Joanne
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Sep 2009 2:39PM
boats are long and thin - the 70-300 may be just what you need... I'd take it just in case, you can really get in on the action with those things

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.