Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

2 questions always on my mind

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
30 Jul 2013 - 11:11 AM

...but, to be serious.

1. Yes - I think a lot of nude photographs are of doubtful taste and technically very poor. However, there are some that are extremely tasteful and beautifully rendered. There is a guy in our camera club who often wins competitions with superb nude studies and leaves the rest of us very envious (because we don't have access to the studio facilities and models he has. At least, that's our excuse.).

2. Not quite sure what Patters is saying here. Yes, some landscapes are surreal. But there are others that, in nature, are so stunning that I just can't reproduce them even if I do process them to death. I have seen scenes with the naked eye that surpass any photograph I have ever viewed. That, I find, helps us retain a wee bit of photographic modesty.

Last Modified By Gundog at 30 Jul 2013 - 11:13 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2013 - 11:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jul 2013 - 11:51 AM

1. Interesting and exciting nudes are few and far between.

2. When we see a dramatic or beautiful landscape we view it with all of our senses which is something a camera cannot do. The best landscape photograph should invoke the essence of what one saw and felt. A very hard thing to achieve.

The great landscape painters clearly often painted what they wanted to see rather than what was really before them just as the portrait painters did. To see photography in a different way is a mistake in my view. The very process of creating a photograph (or a painting) will always change the reality.

keithh
keithh  1022796 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 12:28 PM

Two things.

Firstly this is a Patters Thread.....don't get all worked up and secondly, I think Mr P is referring, in the case of nudes, to the straight up, boobs out for the lads, about as arty as a page three in Razzle, Pervy old snapshot and I don't think he cares if they were taken by ex-pro female photographers or thrusting young bucks - he's just asking the question we all know the answer to.

Dirty pervs, hey Patters? Dirty.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 12:40 PM

My two things

Seek out the things you enjoy & are good at and then make them the best you can - as your getting there don't be bothered about those that say you are not good enough or that you work is rubbish or not to someone's taste.

Don't waste your time negatively complaining about others, instead do something positive you approve of.

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5182 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 1:15 PM

Firstly regarding the nude photography. Does the quality of the final image have any connection to the sexual motivation of the photographer?. It seems to me that the OP is assuming that a superbly lit, captured and presented nude = Artistic photographer/Normal person and a poorly lit, average looking model and poorly taken shot = Dirty old man. Isn't it entirely possible to be a perv and a great photographer and conversely a photographer with nothing but artistic passion in their hearts who cant take a decent shot to save their life.

Landscape. Interestingly I was out on a shoot with another photographer who is a member of EPZ and we were discussing the subject of 'enhancing reality' in landscapes. My opinion and approach is that the camera is just a tool and if all I wanted to produce was a record of what was in front of me I could switch it to auto everything, make a nice composition and 'Bobs your uncle'. Nothing wrong with that, in fact thats probably the approach of 95% of the population. But the point is just about everyone can do that these days and I would like my images to be something more than a well taken snapshot. So yes, I improve where I can using photoshop. There are limits though. I will increase contrast, luminosity and alter the white balance, I clone out distractions and I sharpen. I want impact but I dont want the enhancement to be the first thing that the viewer registers.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014036 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 1:17 PM

Quote: Isn't it entirely possible to be a perv and a great photographer

I do hope so...

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43650 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 1:17 PM

Quote: Naked ladies have been painted, sculpured and looked at since Genesis,

I think you'll find it was going on long before Phil Collins was even heard of.TongueGrinGrin

MichaelMelb_AU
30 Jul 2013 - 2:11 PM

Quote: My two things

Seek out the things you enjoy & are good at and then make them the best you can - as your getting there don't be bothered about those that say you are not good enough or that you work is rubbish or not to someone's taste.

Don't waste your time negatively complaining about others, instead do something positive you approve of.

And most of all - stay yourself, no matter what the hype is.Smile

55jase
55jase e2 Member 8186 forum posts55jase vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 2:54 PM

Well said Natures haven
Quote:

I still find it sad that this genre of photography is always looked upon as something dirty....or is just a British thing.........SmileSmileSmile

Just look at the work of Damien Lovegrove, Trevor Yerbury and EPZ members John Tisbury, RichSR and many others who produce stunning work.....it is beautiful to look at...........

Are you also saying the great artists and painters of centuries ago were perverts.................GrinGrinGrin....

I think the female form is art at it's best It's up to the photographer to take the picture as to which not all photographers/ body shapes are the same so we have various tastes in art. I can see where patters is coming from as there has been the odd picture which was bordering a different site.

patters
patters  91781 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 9:03 PM

NaturesHeaven
Yes, I know females take pictures too, I did say 'male and female models' but failed to say 'male and female picture takers' Oversight on my behalf, but hardly worth mentioning because like it or not, the majority of what I am talking about is male based

Im talking about a picture for instance of some bird in a grody old kitchen with unwashed pots all over the place, entitled 'ankle' with a **** picture of some bird with all her bits out where the centre of the frame just happens to be her ankle!

collywobbles
I know pictures of naked people have been around for centuries, or bigger time divisions than that even, whatever they are called, I have a TV too

JackAllTog
Very philosophical, you must be a saint!

Derekhansen
Yes, good nudes are by photographers, crap ones are by perverts Smile
Seriously though, the pics I'm talking about, if I was a young bird who wanted some nice pics of me taken and I came away with the sort of crap I'm talking about, I would not only want my money back, I would be down the cop shop saying 'this ejit said he's a photographer, but look at these crap pictures, I just think he wanted to see my fun bags'

patters
30 Jul 2013 - 9:39 PM

and ANOTHER thing, if you where standing in a field, and you only had your t-shirt and pants on, and you where so hot you wanted to cool off, what would be the first item of clothing you removed, the t-shirt, or the pants? (question open to both male and female variety)

keithh
keithh  1022796 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 10:31 PM

Pants every time.

Like the old saying "I'd you can't stand the heat get out of your boxers"

patters
30 Jul 2013 - 10:38 PM

I concede

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014735 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2013 - 11:46 PM

scary mental pictures Wink

MichaelMelb_AU
31 Jul 2013 - 12:27 AM

I was wrong. Someone, soap - ASAP!SmileSmileSmile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.