Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

2 questions always on my mind

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
chensuriashi
chensuriashi e2 Member 7129 forum postschensuriashi vcard England17 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 12:50 AM

It is the way that it is here in the UK...Poor media... Kids singing "Herbert The Pervert" whenever they see a camera with a long lens... Obsessive parents worrying about their kids... phones are OK of course, the media needs to calm the public about photography as people do not understanding the pleasure taking a beautiful landscape or fetching portrait brings to the Tog.

I was threatened by a parent last year in Wales about some really great shots I took of his kids.

Chen.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2013 - 12:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014210 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 12:54 AM

I'd rather it be this way than endanger kids. I don't think you can blame parents for being slightly paranoid.

55jase
55jase e2 Member 8186 forum posts55jase vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 10:21 AM

t shirt. interesting topic.

patters
patters  91780 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2013 - 11:39 PM

Was just thinking, its easy to find such pictures here, just search for some item of clothing, single word in the gallery, I have just realised another attribute that makes these pictures more disturbing to me. Its the lack of a face, or even a head sometimes. No face. NO FACE (screams!!)

collywobles
19 Aug 2013 - 4:35 PM

Quote: I was threatened by a parent last year in Wales about some really great shots I took of his kids.

Error No 1 -- If you took images of his kids without his approval - then he was right to threaten you. You should have asked!

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2013 - 4:40 PM

Quote: I was threatened by a parent last year in Wales about some really great shots I took of his kids.

Error No 1 -- If you took images of his kids without his approval - then he was right to threaten you. You should have asked!

Why?

patters
patters  91780 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2013 - 5:57 PM

What would you want with pictures of strangers kids, that's why I'd guess?

collywobles
19 Aug 2013 - 6:23 PM

Quote: Why?

His quote is "some really great shots I took of his kids." So why would he take shots of someone else's children without asking permission and telling the parents he will send copies to them. In my view he asked for what he got. It might have been that the children just happened to be in the frame of something else he was taking which might then have been a different story, but he did not say that.

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2013 - 9:13 PM

Quote: 2. When we see a dramatic or beautiful landscape we view it with all of our senses which is something a camera cannot do. The best landscape photograph should invoke the essence of what one saw and felt. A very hard thing to achieve.

Dunno about that. That's one of a possible range of things it could and/or should do. It should present a narrative, ask questions of the viewer without necessarily providing answers, be provocative rather than just garner the standard polite "oooh that's rather nice", present the landscape in a way that is not idealised, show the viewer something new in a scene they might have seen a hundred times, represent the photographer's personal vision… And many more things that landscape photos (yes, mine too) rarely achieve...

Quote: The great landscape painters clearly often painted what they wanted to see rather than what was really before them just as the portrait painters did. To see photography in a different way is a mistake in my view. The very process of creating a photograph (or a painting) will always change the reality

You can't change reality but you can change people's perception of reality...

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2013 - 9:53 PM

Quote: Why?

His quote is "some really great shots I took of his kids." So why would he take shots of someone else's children without asking permission and telling the parents he will send copies to them. In my view he asked for what he got. It might have been that the children just happened to be in the frame of something else he was taking which might then have been a different story, but he did not say that.

That, I agre with. But your comment was that the parent was 'right to threaten him' - which led me to believe you believe you could/should threaten someone taking pictures of your kids in public. I can understand the parent being disgruntled, but advocating threats is not acceptable.

collywobles
20 Aug 2013 - 8:34 AM

Quote: I can understand the parent being disgruntled, but advocating threats is not acceptable.

Agree, my point was not made very clear, I abhor violence for any reason except when a stranger takes photos of your children............ (8o).

Last Modified By collywobles at 20 Aug 2013 - 8:35 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2013 - 9:31 AM

Quote: I abhor violence for any reason except when a stranger takes photos of your children.

Why? Does it steal their souls or something?

collywobles
20 Aug 2013 - 9:37 AM

Come on Lobsterboy, read it all -- (8o) -- just don't select the bit you want to make an issue of .... SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileTongue

Last Modified By collywobles at 20 Aug 2013 - 9:37 AM
MichaelMelb_AU
20 Aug 2013 - 9:49 AM

Quote: I abhor violence for any reason except when a stranger takes photos of your children.

Why? Does it steal their souls or something?

Maybe because we all live in an increasingly paranoiac world. Cars could be admired openly 30 years ago, now if anyone is interested in my car they are possibly a thief, my parents would not mind a kind stranger giving me a cookie or candy when I grew - now I would never allow it to my own kid Sad Photographing? Depends on the context. If it is some public event - school concert, etc. and my child participates - why not? But if someone is sticking around my child for a while with a camera and has no intention to introduce themselves? At least I would need to know who they are and what they are after.And I would not advise them to confrontGrin

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 20 Aug 2013 - 9:50 AM
suejoh
suejoh e2 Member 9233 forum postssuejoh vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 - 4:39 PM

On 1. It makes for a great debate. Some of the comments made me laugh.
Although I went to the National Portrait Gallery last year(?) to see the winners in some photo competition and the winner was the photographers wife naked or partly naked in the kitchen. Very disappointing - on a par with unmade beds I think.

2. I dont think it matters what the end picture is like as long as you don't pass it off as just a photograph when it has actually been heavily manipulated.
Each of us does our own thing. Straight out the camera - Best Photo. Another photographer likes designing in Photoshop - Best Image.

3. On kids. I think it has become paranoia - you cannot take pictures of your kids at a school play. The person who takes photos in full view is probably the last person to be using images inappropriately. I would think children are as much at risk today as they were when I was a child - it is not the risk that has changed just the way it is used by the media to sell the news.
Sue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.