Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

20 years of digital

Draig37 7 248 Wales
30 Apr 2011 2:52PM
This was it - 20 years ago in May 1990 we welcomed the new tech of the Kodak DCS-100 - well worth a google if you can't remember it.

But even today, I still meet people who are judges/lecturers etc who still think digital is some sort of new fangled work of the devil creation . Tongue

However, that as may be - Happy Birthday to Digital - it's probably brought photography to more people than anything else and i'd much rather be carrying my modern camera than the old Kodak and its accompanying storage package etc!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.2k 4 Wales
30 Apr 2011 3:27PM
I expect that 20 years from now people will be saying how well things have moved on from the first 20 years of digital!

By then I expect that you'll probably be able to log into the likes of EPZ and facebook on the rear lcd panel while you're waiting for the right time to take the sunrise/sunset.

More upmarket models will probably allow you to read a novel while you wait for the rain to pass. Wink

There is every likelihood that digital TV will be streamed to the LCD panel to allow you to take in eastenders while you wait for the right time to capture your next bird on a stick! Smile

Camera manufacturers will always need to come up with something new to keep us upgrading!

It may all sound like fantasy but you never know! Wink

Ken

Ken
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Apr 2011 3:47PM
I cannot remember how many years since I bought my first digital camera, a 1mp, no zoom Olympus, 500 from UK Digital.
...I was enthralled from the off...since then I must have had 10, constantly wanting something better Smile

.....Mike
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Apr 2011 3:55PM
My first was an Olympus C750 UZ in 2004 (chopped in an EOS 10 Sad)
concept 4 3
30 Apr 2011 4:49PM
Can anyone remember the very first digital camera? it was a Sony Movica. A friend of mine bought one and I remember his wife telling me "he will buy anything with a plug on"
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Apr 2011 5:46PM
I met a chap at Marwell Zoo a few years ago (I had a D70 at the time) and he was 'shooting' the water birds on the lake by the entrance with a Mavica... 'floppy' drive media - the lot. Turns out he is a world-famous ornithologist and author - wouldn't change the camera for all the tea in China as 'it delivers what I need for my illustrations'.

'Nuff said!!
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
30 Apr 2011 6:19PM
The next stage will be something that reads our brains, No needs for a camera or anything else, You will be able to project your thoughts/pictures/ideas/secrets Whatever, To something resembling a computer, This then Analise's everything, Keeps the good bits, Tells you where your going wrong, Or how to get it right.....Grin

Then you will be able to upload all the corrected or new data straight into your brain/memory.....Smile

Job Done.....!!!

Or is it, Because what sort of world would it be if machines did all the thinking and all the work for you......Sad

MMMmmm a world full of very clever clones, Without an original idea/thought between them.....!!!

Sounds mad perhaps...But governments around the world would love this " Consumer/Clone/Worker " it would make the wheels of consumerism run even smoother than they do now.

Wink
30 Apr 2011 11:21PM

Quote:

It may all sound like fantasy but you never know! Wink

Ken

Ken

Before I started sitting up all night surfing, I used to sit up all night reading. As a teenager in the 60s I was an avid Sci-Fi reader. A staple of Sci-Fi (cf. StarTrek!) was the hand-held communicator. We've all got them nowadays. We call them mobile phones.
Alex
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
1 May 2011 2:51AM
I just don't think it can get any better than the Canon 40D.Wink
duneshot 6 9 United States
1 May 2011 4:26AM
I would suspect that in the near future we'll have a camera with superman's x-ray vision or even glasses. Won't that be interesting ?

duneshot/bill
Draig37 7 248 Wales
1 May 2011 10:56AM
Bill

You mean you've not got them over there?

we've had that facility on our Canons in the UK for years now! Wink
duneshot 6 9 United States
1 May 2011 11:07AM
I should think my wife and I need to visit the UK. You got better cameras than us ... BTW I name my trucks also. Mine is " Snow Tank."
dune
Draig37 7 248 Wales
1 May 2011 11:50AM
lol

Seriously, I know what you mean re the tech side. It seems that the race for the best gizmo wont be over for many many years yet!!

And I see nothing wrong with naming trucks - perfectly reasonable thing to do.
Perry_95 4 59 1 Wales
1 May 2011 12:50PM
I think that the time will come when camera manufacturers will reach the pinicle of technological advances in the world of photography and then to make money will just make better lenses, and simply change the mount in which these new super compact or lite or crystalised glass lenses will fit onto.

Seeing as i am a beginer i wont be able to afford to upgrade, so for now i suppose i better get a job as a lawyer Smile
1 May 2011 11:27PM
Thank God you have principles and don't want to disgrace yerself by becoming a BANKER!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.