Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

2010 iMac

NikLG 9 1.7k England
12 May 2011 3:41PM
Does anyone have any experience of using either the i5 or i7 iMacs from 2010 ?
I know that the new quad core 2011 models have just come out, but ( because of that
very thing in fact... ) my local Apple reseller has knocked a few hundred quid off last
years ( read :- last weeks ) models, so I could pick up a 27inch i7 ( I think.. ) with
an upgrade to 8 or 12mb for about 1400-1500 notes...

Please no 'buy a Windows PC' type replies.... I am a Windows PC user myself at work and home. I am just looking
into maybe getting an iMac as our home PC, for photo-editing, illustration type work and watching films
off the web and such...

Thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
12 May 2011 4:11PM
I would say, go for it Smile

I bough mine around November 2010 and went for the 21.5 inch i5 as the higher spec 27 inch i7 was over the top for my needs, being more suitable, apparently, for "gamers".
Plus the fact the 27 inch was just a bit too big for my desktop space in my "office", the spare bedroom ! !
NikLG 9 1.7k England
12 May 2011 4:19PM
Cheers. What's the performance like re. photo editing and such ? My mate has one that's about
2-3 years old and has no issues so I guess it's powerful enough ?
edrhodes 9 540 12 United Kingdom
12 May 2011 4:22PM
Used a 27 inch for the last year, with standard spec running CS5. It's an absolute pleasure to use.
TTT 13 559 Germany
12 May 2011 4:26PM
I've got the first 27" imac which I now have 8gb of ram and run Aperture and PS and it's fantastic.
"An Apple a day keeps Windows away" ...........sorry couldn't resist that.
GlenP 8 1 United Kingdom
12 May 2011 4:27PM
Great price. Definitely go for it. I swopped systems last year (June) after using PCs for twenty odd years. I bought a 27 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8GB 1067 MHz DDR of RAM. I wish Id done it years ago, what a refreshing change to switch it on, and have it do what it says on the tin! Id never go back to a Microsoft box now! Grin
catgirl73 6 142 United Kingdom
12 May 2011 4:32PM
I have a 2010 i7 iMac 27" just a warning once you have it you'll never use anything else again.

The screen is amazing I can't recommend it highly enough. The only trouble is I now want to upgrade my Macbook pro Wink
NikLG 9 1.7k England
12 May 2011 4:52PM
Cool.
Cheers all.
The screen is one of the things that has me tempted, I'll admit ( on the 27" model... ).

It's going to be a close call between that and an Asus slate PC ( with built in Wacom digitiser... ) tho0ugh
I am wavering towards the iMac at the moment..

Thanks again..
Nik
12 May 2011 5:00PM
Been said above really, i've got the 27 i7 also and would highly recommend it, i've been on Macs for over 20 years and have used most models and still have 4/5 kicking around my studio. The screen on the iMac is amazing but needs to be calibrated properly so budget for professional calibration gear. If you can get one for 1400 - 1500 GO FOR IT, you'll never go back.

Don't forget to budget for Mac versions of your editing software as PC versions unless under emulation won't run.

I run mine without problems on 4Gig of RAM.
galebars 4 1
12 May 2011 6:37PM
I bought the 27" 2.66 i5 last June also, what a machine. From never having had an Apple product I am now completely converted. All my software including NX2 and CS5 absolutely flies on the Mac and I don't think I'll be going back to a PC anytime soon. jken's point re. calibration is spot from my experience though.
Buy, you will not regret it.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
12 May 2011 7:31PM
Today I spent 45 mins to put in new motherboard, processor, ram and gfx card on the PC. 8 hours to get windoze' to run properly. I've had a Mac for 2 months and they are amazing, everything just works. I have become the antithesis of my own moral code, I am an Apple Mac whore!
12 May 2011 10:28PM
Number 2 daughter has a Mac in her room upstairs - by day she's a graphic designer group leader, by night she uses it extensively for photo and graphic freelance stuff..At Uni she used both PC and Mac machines but always prefered the Mac. This evening I asked her what "model" she had, she just shrugged and said "An Imac"...so no idea what it is, but she's had it at least 3 years and wouldn't use anything else..! ("Indesign" being her program of choice, but she's used Photoshop and Quark before).
NikLG 9 1.7k England
13 May 2011 11:01AM
Thanks again guys ( and girls ) for all the replies.
Had a word with my GF last night about it and we are going to go and grab one this aft.
And I just got myself a bluetooth Intuos 4 tablet from Wacom Smile Another good deal....an ex-demo one
for about 250 quid...with free delivery. I am on a roll I think ( apart from the fact that I am spending
money ).
Photoshop next......month.

Now all I need is to find out if I still have a job on Monday and everything will be sweet....
NikLG 9 1.7k England
13 May 2011 1:41PM
For the sake of closure, we went and got one at lunchtime.
Ended up with a 27" i3 dual core, 8 gig of Ram ( 1tb HDD ), with MS Office and AppleCare ( my GF's insistence... )
all for just shy of 1500. So not too shabby really.

Cheers
Nik
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
13 May 2011 3:32PM
I hope you enjoy it Nik, I've had my 27" since December 2009, my third Mac but far and away the best Mac I've had.
Alan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.