Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

2011/2012 Football Thread

redhed17 e2
9 680 England
21 Dec 2011 1:48AM
Not surprising that Suarez has been banned, though the length of the ban is a surprise. Sad He has not got a very good reputation from various things that he has done in his career, but should have been judged on this situation, which unless there is something that has not yet been made public, there is not a case to answer. I mean, how a player could repeatably racially abuse another player without anyone else hearing it seems quite baffling. If he did do it he deserves the ban, but if he didn't ... And reading about his background and history, it seems odd that he would make racist comments.

And as the article says, Evra has admitted wrongdoing, so I wonder when/if he will be charged. I doubt it.

On a positive note, Suarez will get the rest he needs, as he has been playing solidly for a couple of years now, previous bans aside, Wink lol and as a player who seems to run non stop, he needs a rest. He has started to look tired the last few games.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Dec 2011 4:44AM
Some say the words he used are more acceptable in his country - well we arent in his country that is an important matter .. In any other industry or business he would likely be immediately sacked and lose all pension rights etc etc and be roundly condemned. A footballer and suddenly people are questioning whether he should have been given such a big 8 match paid holiday and a paltry fine that would amount to a fraction of just a weeks wage (poor guy).

The average football fan probably fumes at the excesses of big business payouts to big bosses yet they seem to lose all perspective when it comes to their players who get a normal person's lifetime earnings in just a few weeks for playing football, not to mention the extra image rights and advertising etc etc ... He should feel lucky he can still play in this country and Europe. If a social worker or police officer, who work under extreme pressure, made racist comments they would face instant dismissal and I am damn sure people would be calling for it from the rooftops and demonising them, so making these type of comments even in the heat of a match are not acceptable and they as professionals earn the money to reflect their professional status and should also set a class leading example in a professional manner. You ask how he could have made comments without being heard ... well the stadium is hardly a quiet place and he was close to him ... these are just silly excuses and defences - what a surprise you appear to be a Liverpool fan. I wonder would you have been so understanding had it been Balotelli misbehaving ... no, I thought not :o)
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
21 Dec 2011 8:59AM
I think I said that if he was guilty of it he should be punished.

In any business, whether it be football or any office in the country, if a person makes an allegation against someone there has to be proof or witnesses. Maybe hard to get in a small office, but on a football pitch surrounded by at least 23 other people on the pitch and I don't know how many cameras, and not forgetting the crowd, and nobody heard anything is not a proven case to me, and not a way I would be comfortable being 'convicted'.

Surely if there was strong case against Suarez then there would be a criminal case to answer, but I haven't heard of the Police being involved unlike the John Terry case.

And whilst I agree that people need to abide by the Laws and conventions of the Country they are in, there has to be some give and take and in this situation, common sense. The word he used means something different to the similar unacceptable word, and should be taken into account.

The FA seem to be taking a hard stance on this to make a strong point Racism (quite right) as opposed to Fifa's inactions. But the case has to be strong to support the stance they have taken. Until The FA make public what the believe has happened on the pitch, all this is speculation, but from what I have read so far, he has been dealt with very harshly imho.

This Blog makes pretty good sense.

Of course you probably won't agree because the writer is also a Liverpool fan.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 9:24AM
As a United supporter I suppose I should be pleased he could be out for up to 8 games. However I hate cheating in any form and if Suarez has not made the alleged comments then Evra and anybody else involved should be held to account.

To take such a firm stand you would hope the FA have good evidence, but as redhed17 says it all seems to boil down to 1 person's word against another. No video, audio or even lip reader evidence.

Looks like they picked the wrong case to try and make an example.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 12:59PM

Quote:Some say the words he used are more acceptable in his country - well we arent in his country that is an important matter

Exactly. I was in a pub last night talking about it with Liverpool fans and some of them suggested it was unfair because in his own country the comments weren't racist. They are here - so adapt to the culture of the country you live in or leave Wink

Quote:Looks like they picked the wrong case to try and make an example.

It will be interesting to see what happens with John Terry. Has nothing happened at the FA because its a police investigation? When it does and because he has admitted to certain comments he should be stripped of the England captaincy (permanently this time) and banned for the rest of the season. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Does anyone remember when Shearer was England captain and kicked another player in the head during a league game without consequence? If the FA are serious Terry should expect some difficult times ahead.
31 Dec 2011 1:37PM
I think this football thread wants terminating, here and now. It is not very good when we are getting beat by all and sundry,including the Scousers. And last night Pardew told our lot to let Bellamy score a couple, otherwise he would adopt a cry-baby attitude.Smile
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
31 Dec 2011 2:52PM
Man Utd 2 Blackburn 3

Don't you just love the Premiership Grin
31 Dec 2011 3:02PM

Quote:Man Utd 2 Blackburn 3

You see better than that in the local park on Sunday afternoons Smile
31 Dec 2011 3:52PM
Trying to imagine the shade of red Slir Alex's face will be right now LOL ...
31 Dec 2011 3:53PM
Just hopin City can capitalise on this chance to extend ... ahemmm .. that could be my New Year fooked right up ;o)
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
31 Dec 2011 5:36PM

Quote:Man Utd 2 Blackburn 3

Now that was a shock. Blackburn beat Utd at home!

It is good when something like this happens. As long as it's not your team of course. Wink lol

On Sir Alex's Birthday too. If I was a Utd player I don't think I would have wanted to be in that dressing room after the game. The language may have been quite ripe.

Of course it will still not stop the Blackburn fans booing Steve Keen for five minutes. Sad
f8 e2
11 9.2k 22 England
31 Dec 2011 8:36PM
Will be watching Match of the Day tonight, well done BlackburnGrin
1 Jan 2012 5:08PM
Mr. O'Neill weaves his magic again Grin
cantona43 e2
9 915 4 England
1 Jan 2012 7:27PM
How pleased was I to see it waved
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
1 Jan 2012 8:18PM
And Argyle are off the bottom - unbeaten in 5 games now Grin

Happy New Year all !!!

COYG !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.