Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

2012/2013 Football Thread.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85872 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 8:46 PM

Both Derby and Chelsea won easily

Not bothered about the rest

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jan 2013 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman

Oh Suarez ... I'd rather give Ballotelli a 20yr contract than have you for one season ... And Liverpool, I can't blame you for embracing the small successes he gives you and the way he has kept your head above water but the success is at a cost to your ever diminishing pride and absolute loss of respect.

Once again .. Video, video, video .... Cos this one wont balance out over a season for little Mansfield.

redhed17
redhed17  8646 forum posts England
7 Jan 2013 - 7:38 PM

Quote: Oh Suarez ... I'd rather give Ballotelli a 20yr contract than have you for one season .

Entitled to your opinion of course, but Suarez works harder in one game than Balotelli does for a whole season imho. He also seems to be a good team mate and hard worker in training. I haven't heard or seen any pics of him fighting with the manager. Wink

Did Suarez cheat? Yes. Would I rather he hadn't? Yes. Can anything be done about now? Not really, unfortunately for Mansfield. Just like the times Suarez has been fouled outside, but especially inside the box and didn't get the decision, the moment's gone. Karma maybe, but each situation should be judged on what was seen, or not, with no bias. Whether that is happening is another discussion, but it looks like the officials at Mansfield didn't see him handball it. Is that OK? Not really with four officials in attendance, but it happened. Should Suarez have owned up? Yes, in a perfect world, but he would have been in a minority by doing it. Doesn't mean he still shouldn't have owned up, but not surprising that a professional footballer didn't.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2013 - 9:00 PM

According to the report in The Herald, both the ref & the 4th official saw it but deemed it as accidental, ie the ball hit his hand rather than he hit the ball with his hand. They didn't consider it as a foul.

Geoffphoto
7 Jan 2013 - 9:54 PM

Port Vale 4 Argyle 0 - sigh !!!!!!...now in bottom two , still we do have a new manager in John Sheridan (who!!!!!!!!!)

Oh well, Conference here we come !

Wish we were still in the FA Cup Sad

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 7 Jan 2013 - 9:58 PM
monstersnowman
7 Jan 2013 - 10:26 PM

Quote: Oh Suarez ... I'd rather give Ballotelli a 20yr contract than have you for one season .

Entitled to your opinion of course, but Suarez works harder in one game than Balotelli does for a whole season imho. He also seems to be a good team mate and hard worker in training. I haven't heard or seen any pics of him fighting with the manager. Wink

Did Suarez cheat? Yes. Would I rather he hadn't? Yes. Can anything be done about now? Not really, unfortunately for Mansfield. Just like the times Suarez has been fouled outside, but especially inside the box and didn't get the decision, the moment's gone. Karma maybe, but each situation should be judged on what was seen, or not, with no bias. Whether that is happening is another discussion, but it looks like the officials at Mansfield didn't see him handball it. Is that OK? Not really with four officials in attendance, but it happened. Should Suarez have owned up? Yes, in a perfect world, but he would have been in a minority by doing it. Doesn't mean he still shouldn't have owned up, but not surprising that a professional footballer didn't.

The obnoxious part (consistent with his character) was that he openly kissed his arm ... he seemed to celebrate the handball. Of course I agree with you - he is a brilliant player and easily one of the best strikers in the prem, no doubt. It's just a shame he feels the need to cheat when given so much natural talent, and he isn't alone.. Not to mention his other darker issue which we can leave as a sleeping dog. On the comparison with Balotelli ... If they were both city players I would want them both gone to be honest. Hopefully Balotelli will be gone soon.

monstersnowman
7 Jan 2013 - 10:35 PM

Quote: According to the report in The Herald, both the ref & the 4th official saw it but deemed it as accidental, ie the ball hit his hand rather than he hit the ball with his hand. They didn't consider it as a foul.

They probably did see it and thought it was accidental - its more about Suarez and his general character than the performance of the refs and application of the rules. The video clearly looked to me like he knocked it down into the goal with his arm ... then continued to kiss his arm while in the goal area.

redhed17
redhed17  8646 forum posts England
7 Jan 2013 - 10:43 PM

For those that have seen Suarez score before, you will have noticed that he kisses his wrist front and back each time he scores, so the celebration was nothing to do with how the goal was scored. :-/

Here's the FIFA goal of the season as announced at the FIFA Ballon dOr Gala.

And the FIFA XI dream team are;
Iker Casillas in goal;
Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Daniel Alves and Marcelo in defence;
Xabi Alonso, Xavi and Andres Iniesta in midfield,
and the deadly trio of Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao up front.

Pity no UK players, or UK based players. I don't see those players enough to say whether it's the right XI or not. One would assume that they are the best. That front three would certainly score enough goals. Wink lol

monstersnowman
7 Jan 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying that red ... It was a natural presumption to be made tho .. I'll let him off for that one ;0)

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
7 Jan 2013 - 11:00 PM

It's his daughters name tattooed on the inside of his wrist that he kisses. He also kisses his wedding ring for his wife.

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 8:56 AM

I'd rather have Suarez than Balotelli anyday. You can get a player to change his diving habits (Ashley young for example has improved since last season as did Torres and other 'foreign imports' before him) and Suarez does seem to have reduced the frequency with which he does it. But with someone like Balotelli, getting him to apply himself and concentrate on the game seems to be nigh on impossible. And at least Suarez is dong what he is paid to do (score goals).

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 9:09 AM

Quote: Entitled to your opinion of course, but Suarez works harder in one game than Balotelli does for a whole season imho.

One thing in his favour - he is a "handy" player!

monstersnowman

Quote: I'd rather have Suarez than Balotelli anyday. You can get a player to change his diving habits (Ashley young for example has improved since last season as did Torres and other 'foreign imports' before him) and Suarez does seem to have reduced the frequency with which he does it. But with someone like Balotelli, getting him to apply himself and concentrate on the game seems to be nigh on impossible. And at least Suarez is dong what he is paid to do (score goals).

Can't agree with this logic at all. Even though I don't like Balotelli he is a young man, only 22, is still maturing (or supposed to be) and is acting with immaturity but will, with the right guidance and passage of time, grow up and likely become a reasonably sensible and balanced, mature individual ( not that all immature people act like Balotelliz). But a gifted person who still cheats on a regular basis to achieve things and has very questionable racist beliefs is unlikely to change much ... His racism and cheating is not based upon immaturity but fundamental character. A racist cheat is likely always to be so.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 8 Jan 2013 - 1:11 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 1:22 PM

I don't recall you berating other players so loudly for handball incidents - the link that redhed posted puts into context the handwringing and anguish being pointed unfairly at Suarez (just incase you missed it http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/why-has-luis-suarez-been-condemned-when-players-1523071).
I trust Thierry henri is also a blatant cheat who should never play football in this country again and you would never have had in your team?

I think your faith in Balotelli maturing at this sage in his career is one of optimism - it seems that Suarez at 25 has charactuer flaws you find objectionable, but Balotelli at 22 9at only 3 years younger) is merely 'maturing' (even the FA did not go so far as to say he was racist, only that he used language that is acceptable in his country but not over here). Double standards based on personal bias?

Last Modified By mikehit at 8 Jan 2013 - 1:22 PM
mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 1:29 PM

Quote: I'd rather have Suarez than Balotelli anyday. You can get a player to change his diving habits (Ashley young for example has improved since last season as did Torres and other 'foreign imports' before him) and Suarez does seem to have reduced the frequency with which he does it. But with someone like Balotelli, getting him to apply himself and concentrate on the game seems to be nigh on impossible. And at least Suarez is dong what he is paid to do (score goals).

Can't agree with this logic at all. Even though I don't like Balotelli he is a young man, only 22, is still maturing (or supposed to be) and is acting with immaturity but will, with the right guidance and passage of time, grow up and likely become a reasonably sensible and balanced, mature individual ( not that all immature people act like Balotelliz). But a gifted person who still cheats on a regular basis to achieve things and has very questionable racist beliefs is unlikely to change much ... His racism and cheating is not based upon immaturity but fundamental character. A racist cheat is likely always to be so.

So the FA report categorically stated (and agreed by Evra) that he isn't a racist - and if you read the report, the quoted comments and context (and linguistic translations) you will see why they came to that conclusion - he was banned to make a statement that regardless of this you cannot use words that could be perceived as racist, so I don't agree that you can therefore call him racist.

And then the officials from the game at the weekend advised that they have seen the incident and deemed it 'ball to hand', so therefore he didn't cheat...the ESPN commentator has also been reprimanded for calling him such.

I can't help but think that if this was anyone other than Suarez, this would'nt have caused so much fuss but as he is an the current pantomime villain then it seems perfectly acceptable to all. I can understand that people have decided to dislike him, no issues with that at all but let's consider the facts before throwing 'Racist' & 'Cheat' comments around!

No offence intended by this by the way it's my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs...I just don't agree with the language that is being used to descibe him!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.