Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

2012/2013 Football Thread.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 1:42 PM

I was reading one Spain-based British commentator several years ago and his article was about the different perceptions in the two countries: in Britain we still hold onto the Corinthian ideal of fair play and honesty. Whereas in Spain, 'playing the ref' with thinbgs like simulation and handball, is considered to be as much a tactic as the team strategy and 'getting away with it' is applauded as part of the footballer's skills.

Add to this the very British support of the underdog, and I suspect that if the Suarez goal had been scored against Man Utd in the PL instead of lowly Mansfield in the glorious basioin that is the FA Cup, no-one would care.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2013 - 1:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redhed17
redhed17  8659 forum posts England
8 Jan 2013 - 7:56 PM

Some people will not change their opinion of Suarez, so I don't even bother to try to change them. I will point out when I think Suarez, and any other person is being treated unfairly. Suarez is the villain of the moment. It was Tevez before the Evra incident, and has always been Joey Barton. Wink lol Oh, and Ashley Cole, and John Terry, and Jose Mourinho, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Robbie Savage, Lee Bowyer, Alan Smith

I don't understand anyone defending Balotelli, as he hasn't really done much to justify such support as far as I can see. :-/ Yes, he may play for your team, but what has he brought to the team? Sparks of brilliance, few and far between. Just like Stan Collymore in years gone by, talent to spare but a flawed character for a team.

Balotelli has moved countries, played for the Italian National team and become a father, all things that make most people grow up pretty quickly, that he hasn't says something about his character to me. He has had a troubled childhood for sure, but has had people trying to help him throughout his football career, and maybe before that, and yet he still seems an arrogant angry young man. Anyway, he's City's problem, and the longer he stays there, doesn't perform, and disrupts the team by getting chance after chance, it lessens City's chances of retaining the title imho.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 10:10 PM

Great match tonight. Can't be much fun being a Villa supporter just now. 2nd leg should be something.

monstersnowman
8 Jan 2013 - 10:58 PM

Quote: I don't recall you berating other players so loudly for handball incidents - the link that redhed posted puts into context the handwringing and anguish being pointed unfairly at Suarez (just incase you missed it http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/why-has-luis-suarez-been-condemned-when-players-1523071).
I trust Thierry henri is also a blatant cheat who should never play football in this country again and you would never have had in your team?

I think your faith in Balotelli maturing at this sage in his career is one of optimism - it seems that Suarez at 25 has charactuer flaws you find objectionable, but Balotelli at 22 9at only 3 years younger) is merely 'maturing' (even the FA did not go so far as to say he was racist, only that he used language that is acceptable in his country but not over here). Double standards based on personal bias?

@ Mikehit

Firstly have you really actually any knowledge of my reaction to any past handball incidents mike ... I am sure you haven't and this fact does not amount to any suggestion that I only am concerned about Suarez's handball. The fact is that this is a current incident from a player who is extremely well known for less than honest conduct and for using disgusting racist terms that the FA accepted were racist in nature and would have been considered so in Uruguay also (if the FA decision summary i read is accurate) - whether they wished to stick their necks out on a letigious path by calling him racist is something they made a call on and pulled up short of. I do however feel many of us would not have been judged so generously had we said the same things ... I think Nick Griffin would not be heard in public saying things like Suarez said, lol. Poor Jade goody was an internationally hated figure and was ruined for far far far less ...

Secondly, yes Suarez does come under scrutiny but he has earned it for past regular indiscretions and the disgusting Evra incident.

Thirdly, Henri .. I am not even familiar with the incident but as he does not have the history of regular cheating that follows Suarez the comparison is weak. Had Suarez only committed a handball I would have no issue with him playing for my team .. It is the sum of Suarez's cheating etc that makes me consider him a thoroughly disagreeable person.

Fourthly - I don't recall saying I had ANY faith in Balotelli maturing, but I do think it is more likely than Suarez, already being older (albeit only approx 3 years), suddenly stopping cheating and not being racist (allegedly your honour).

Fifthly - Balotelli, unreliable, unpredictable, moody, immature, etc ........... Suarez , cheating racist (allegedly). I don't want Balotelli in my team and I certainly don't want Suarez ... But out of the two I would rather put up with Balotelli than Suarez ... It's not double standards or bias .. The two just don't compare but I wouldn't have either of them anyway - I fail to see how that is bias or double standards.

I trust that clearly answers ever single point you made.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 8 Jan 2013 - 10:59 PM
monstersnowman
8 Jan 2013 - 11:25 PM

Quote: I don't understand anyone defending Balotelli, as he hasn't really done much to justify such support as far as I can see. :-/ Yes, he may play for your team, but what has he brought to the team? Sparks of brilliance, few and far between. Just like Stan Collymore in years gone by, talent to spare but a fl ......

@ redhed

I don't recall doing anything but say I will be glad when Balotelli has gone ... I am not defending him at all. But to say you can't understand anyone defending Balotelli whilst you and your club defend Suarez, is priceless ;0) I don't defend EITHER of them but if I had to have the lesser of two evils and not simply base that choice on the principle of what they can do for my team's silverware cabinet rather than on what is right and wrong in the game I would suffer Balotelli's escapades any day.

Anyway I have said what I think and answered points put to me ... Time for something more lighthearted ... Have fun guys :0)

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 8 Jan 2013 - 11:26 PM
spaceman
12 Jan 2013 - 6:27 PM

Poor John Walters.

Talk about a day to forget.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43956 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2013 - 6:54 PM

Quote: Poor John Walters.

Talk about a day to forget.

Yepp, not even the penalty helped restore some pride. He is good and will put this behind him.

Geoffphoto
13 Jan 2013 - 11:19 AM

I know it's not headline news like the Premier League but can I just say....................Argyle 2 Morecombe 1 - Sheridan's first win as manager ! and out of the bottom 2. Grin

spaceman
15 Jan 2013 - 1:15 PM

Strachan is new Scotland manager.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

Quote: Strachan is new Scotland manager.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Oh!, what a shame. He seems like such a nice man".

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43956 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 4:22 PM

Quote: Strachan is new Scotland manager.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Oh!, what a shame. He seems like such a nice man".

She sounds like quite a canny lassGrin

Malc

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 4:54 PM

Quote: She sounds like quite a canny lassGrin

Malc

She certainly seems to know more about football than she admits to. Grin

It's one of those thankless jobs in football with unrealistic expectations from fans and the press. It means he is always going to have to be a miracle worker to keep everyone happy. Good luck, Gordon.

saltireblue
15 Jan 2013 - 5:54 PM

Quote:

It's one of those thankless jobs in football with unrealistic expectations from fans and the press. It means he is always going to have to be a miracle worker to keep everyone happy. Good luck, Gordon.

Well, if anyone has a chance of converting a pigs ear into a silk purse, the GS is a damned good candidate. It would be good to see him exceed expectations, both for him, for the team and not least the fans.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 15 Jan 2013 - 5:55 PM
spaceman
16 Jan 2013 - 7:24 PM

Guardiola off to Bayern.

mikehit
mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 8:25 PM

That'll please Chelsea fans - Benitez a front runner for the job full time. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.