Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

2012/2013 Football Thread.

25 Apr 2013 12:06AM
Slightly more than I expected but I guess if they have considered his past offences in other leagues as well then it is understandable.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2013 9:41AM
If this is the sign of things to come with regard to bans for unacceptable behaviour on the pitch then bring it on. It's about time footballers were taught that being on the pitch does not mean they can get away with stuff for which there would be a good chance of being arrested if it happened on the street.
Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
25 Apr 2013 11:39AM
Personally I think he was lucky to only get a ten match ban, seeing that he had already committed the same offence. What a disgusting example to set for the youth of today.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2013 11:59AM
Even his wife has stopped taking their kid to see him play until he improves his on-field behaviour so even SWMBO disapproves of him.
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 2:44PM
I've always felt with football that it would be improved if each player was given an axe and they just hacked at one another until all of one team or the other was dead. Then, the winning team, or rather the members of it left were showered with obscene amounts of money, SUVs, champagne and breast enhanced models until they were not only sated but saturated.

It would seem much more in harmony with the ethos of the game, money, women booze, cars and cash but - especially - violence, than eleven thickos knocking a ball about the place and managing occasionally to have it go somewhere they intended.

You might gather that I'm not much of a football fan Wink
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
26 Apr 2013 4:17PM

Quote:You might gather that I'm not much of a football fan Wink

Ah! You're a Chelsea supporterGrin
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 4:45PM

Quote:Ah! You're a Chelsea supporter

Hahaha Grin

When I was on the London Evening News I (along with the other staffers) had to cover London matches every Saturday afternoon. Most of the guys liked football but I hated it. We could only cover the first ten minutes of a match before racing out to our despatch rider with our films for getting them back to the office. The paper would be on sale outside the ground with our pix as the spectators left after the game.

I used to have to cover Chelsea quite often. Most of the photographers, whatever match it was, Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham, would stay on and watch the match. Me, I couldn't wait to get out. As soon as I'd given my films to the DR, I'd be outta there. What a waste!

The only time I ever stayed on was to watch George Best play. I just used to keep focus on him with my 400mm Novoflex. Even for a football hater like me, the man was an artist. I loved the way he would do cheeky things like chip the ball into the air, run round the player and pick the ball up again before the tackler knew what was going on. But it was always spoilt by someone. Chelsea had a bloke called called Chopper Harris whose job it seemed was just to mark Best and kick him at every opportunity to put him out of the game. You get a British player who actually has a world beating talent.....and you counter him not by skill or cunning but by crude violence.

It summed up football for me. There was only one game I longed to see, one where both teams lost, were demoted and their players slung into a vat of warm.....well, you can guess. Honestly, if I were given world cup final tickets, I'd give them away.
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
26 Apr 2013 7:47PM

Quote:I'm not much of a football fan Wink

Er, welcome to the football thread. :-/
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2013 7:41AM

Quote:Er, welcome to the football thread. :-/

Thanks. Though I detect that you think this thread is private to people who like football. I guess that makes me an infidel.Tongue
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
27 Apr 2013 12:14PM
No thread is private, afaik. Post anywhere you like. Smile

I just found it a bit odd that someone who has no interest in football would look in a thread about football, nevermind post in it. :-/

I tend to not bother looking in threads that I have no interest in, but everyone's different. Smile
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
27 Apr 2013 12:47PM

Quote:Chelsea had a bloke called called Chopper Harris whose job it seemed was just to mark Best and kick him at every opportunity to put him out of the game. You get a British player who actually has a world beating talent.....and you counter him not by skill or cunning but by crude violence.

Those were the days when you had to virtually commit murder before you got sent off. These days players like Chopper and Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter would be lucky to get to half time in the 1st match before picking up their 1st red card of the season.
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2013 1:18PM

Quote:I tend to not bother looking in threads that I have no interest in, but everyone's different

I don't have an interest in football but I am interested in the politics that surround it. The constant battle between football as a sport or as a money making machine. The half-crazed managers on TV trying to justify the behaviour of one of their junior thugs. The buying and selling of teams by big businessmen with no regard to their fans whatsoever.

I did take my nephew to his first few football matches, a something or the other league team on the south coast. That's more enjoyable because it seems more personal and human than the great money fuelled bombast of the big teams. I feel the same about music, I hate places like the O2 where you hear manufactured sound played by peanut sized musician in the distance. I prefer my local blues club, great players like Walter Trout who can interact with an audience a few feet away.

I photographed quite a few of the big soccer stars as part of my regular business. Apart from really civilized and decent guys like Gary Lineker, (I photographed him in Japan and he was learning the language, that's the sort of guy he was) most were spoiled brats. One big name, I photographed him and his wife and new baby. We wanted the baby in his dad's club kit but he didn't have it, so we borrowed the kit from a printer in the office. When the player was leaving at the end of the shoot, he said 'I'll keep the baby's outfit'. I said, 'no, one of the guys in my office bought it for his baby, I have to give it back to him'.

After I'd packed my lights and cameras away, I looked for the kit. Gone. A 75,000 per week player had nicked the property of someone who earned less than a hundredth of what he did. And he's been paid 25,000 to do the pictures!
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
27 Apr 2013 1:52PM

Quote:

I tend to not bother looking in threads that I have no interest in,

I often do, as I never know when I am going to learn something new, useful or helpful.

Malc
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
27 Apr 2013 6:10PM
Plymouth Argyle avoid relegation so Geoffphoto should be feeling pretty pleased - or as pleased as an Argyle fan can ever be Smile

Hull are doing a spectacularly good job of avoiding promotion.
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
28 Apr 2013 4:01PM
Reading and QPR go out with a whimper.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.