Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

2012/2013 Football Thread.

Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 9:06PM

Quote:Fleetwood 3 Plymouth 0

I guess Geoffphoto will be along shortly.

If he hasn't literally exploded

NO, just lost for words............. !!!!!!!Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Nov 2012 5:58AM
Beckham to leave Galaxy! Shock! Horror!

Yaaaaaaaaawwnn
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
20 Nov 2012 7:13PM

Quote:Beckham to leave Galaxy!

That's a hell of a journey.
redhed17 9 679 England
21 Nov 2012 12:54PM
Chel$ki sack another manager . I must admit, I didn't see this one coming so soon. Guardiola must fancy a return. :-/

To win the FA Cup, the Champions League and be currently 3rd in the league, and still be sacked, the mind boggles as to what you have to do to keep that job.

And even more, money aside, which is obviously a big factor, why would anyone take that job with an owner like that? I know this is coming from a Liverpool fan who has experienced similar 'long term planning' over recent years, but Liverpool have had 21 managers in 120 years. Chel$ki have had 8 in the 8 years of the Abramovich era, nevermind the years before. Surely success can't be sustained with such 'planning' long term, without throwing huge amounts of money at it constantly, which is going (hopefully) to be harder to do. :-/
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
21 Nov 2012 2:15PM

Quote:why would anyone take that job with an owner like that

Perhaps people take on the Chelsea job as they know a nice little compensation cheque will come their way when they get sacked ! !
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
21 Nov 2012 8:18PM
Benitez in charge.

For a fortnight at least.
redhed17 9 679 England
21 Nov 2012 10:57PM
I read the talk about Benitez taking over, but didn't think he would do it, or that they would want him. If Villas Boas was unpopular, you ain't seen nothing to the abuse Benitez will get from the Chel$ki fans, especially if results get worse. And Torres aside, I can't see many Chel$ki players happy to see him in the job either.

I know he has been out of a job for awhile, but money aside, this is a risky move that could ruin his reputation, and harm his chances of getting jobs in the future, just for short term financial gain. Di Matteo being sacked just goes to prove that it doesn't matter how successful you are with Abramovich. :-/
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
21 Nov 2012 11:23PM

Quote:"Chelsea is a big club but I would never take that job in respect for my former team at Liverpool no matter what" Benitez, 2007

Seems Rafa has lost some respect ....
redhed17 9 679 England
22 Nov 2012 2:35AM

Quote:"Chelsea is a big club but I would never take that job in respect for my former team at Liverpool no matter what" Benitez, 2007

Seems Rafa has lost some respect ....

A few years unemployment will do that to a person. :-/

Good luck to him. He'll need it. Wink

I hope he's worked out a good deal for himself to compensate for all the stress he's going to get. From all sides I think.

I'm torn, I like Benitez, and so would like him to succeed, but I want it all to blow up in Abramovich's face for the way he treats his managers.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
22 Nov 2012 8:47AM
I genuinely don't think Benitez has been bumming along on job seekers to excuse his loss of respect tho lol .. ;0)

On the subject of Abrohomoromohorororivich .. Some people give managers time, some don't, for one reason or another. RA has invested a HUGE amount and treats his investment like other business investments and surprisingly his attitude of demanding quick results then moving on before things stagnate has been as successful as any other indeed far more successful (see Arsenal) so maybe it seems a harsh and uncompromising one but it has paid dividends ...

Maybe had he not been so decisive he would be mid-table with AVB at this time ..... In view of the fact that the more long term approach with other clubs always results in the manager being sacked at some time down the road despite how much of a saviour he may be or how great or experienced or successful he may be anyway we may as well just go for the Chelsea approach anyway because you know you will be sacking them at some time anyway.

If we were to look at the hiring and firing in a real, common sense, cold light of day way you may ask why managers who have maybe been sacked the last 2, 3, 4, or 5 times are even interviewed for a top job - would you get a job as manager of Tesco if you had been sacked the last 4 or 5 times from all the other supermarkets for doing a bad job .. Nope ... So common sense doesn't come into It and maybe RA has the right idea considering what he pays them ... Hmmmm
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 10:23AM

Quote:If we were to look at the hiring and firing in a real, common sense, cold light of day way you may ask why managers who have maybe been sacked the last 2, 3, 4, or 5 times are even interviewed for a top job - would you get a job as manager of Tesco if you had been sacked the last 4 or 5 times from all the other supermarkets for doing a bad job .. Nope ... So common sense doesn't come into It and maybe RA has the right idea considering what he pays them ... Hmmmm

I am constantly amazed how a successful businessman can take over a football club and seem to have a commercial lobotomy when they sign the takeover deal.
When Dennis Wise first joined Newcastle I recall him being interviewed on the TV and he was asked what his role would be. His response was that he did not yet know. If the owner had been appointing an operations manager for his company, I pretty damned sure both he and the new person would be fully aware of their roles and how they fitted into the organisation before the contract was even signed.
redhed17 9 679 England
22 Nov 2012 11:17AM
I think it is amazing that managers who continually fail get jobs again and again, I think that depends on who you know and the reputation you have.

There may be extenuating circumstances to many sackings, as in the Di Matteo case, and maybe in the Redknapp case (are Spurs better than last year atm?) but there are only 3-4 things to win every year, so a lot of teams are going to fail if that is what they are judged by. Yes, there are also Champions League and Promotion places up for grabs, but there are a lot that are safe from relegation, but have little chance of winning anything.

And as is the case with DiMatteo, winning 2 out of 4 things doesn't guarantee anything. If Chel$ki were mid table, I could understand him being let go.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 12:10PM
If Abramovich has tried and failed 9 times to identify and install the right person to achieve his ambitions, does that call into question his competence to run the football club?
redhed17 9 679 England
22 Nov 2012 10:27PM
Abramovich has got so much money, and of course is in sole ownership of the club, that it makes no difference what he does. He's untouchable.

Chel$ki have been winning things pretty consistently during the Abramovich era though, so what he has been doing can be said to be working. Whether they would have won more or less with some stability in the Manager's seat, no one can say. :-/

For most of the Abramovich era he has had the spine of Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba with various defensive midfielders, now that is starting to break up comes the hard part, replacing the quality. Money's obviously no problem, but no one has replaced Drogba, not even with a 50m striker. Mata and Hazard could be close to Lampard's level, but they have to have a more consistent high level because they are not there yet. I rate Cahill, but he is not near Terry's level so far. Villas-Boas was supposed to see that transition through, but I think with the player power at the club, and the slight faltering from the high level Chel$ki have been at, made Abramovich lose his bottle imho.
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
23 Nov 2012 1:24PM
A less surprising departure....

Mark Hughes sacked.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.