Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

24-105 l canon lens v canon 60mm macro lens

24 Jul 2012 7:38PM
which of the two above lenses should give best iq when used shooting portraits and most faithfull color reproduction

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Jul 2012 7:46PM
one.jpg

24 -105 was a dissapointed with colour
24 Jul 2012 7:48PM
two.jpg

seems to be more faithfull colour 60mm macro
ianrobinson e2
5 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2012 7:53PM
the 60mm will give very shallow depth of field and of course is fixed focal length, it will give a great IQ I am sure being prime.
The 24-105mm f4 I am presuming will be far more versatile IMHO and gives great IQ.

Versatility wise and great IQ i would be inclined to want the 24-105mm f4 l is usm lens for portraits out of the 2 options.

Saying that personally i love using the canon 70-200mm f2.8 l is usm lens or the canon 85mm f1.8 l is usm lens and for tight spaces then the canon 24-70mm f2.8 l usm lens, i also own a 50mm f1.8 lens but to be honest this rarely comes out of the bag really.

I do use the 24-105mm f4 l is usm lens for portraits if there is not enough room and find very good indeed.
24 Jul 2012 7:58PM
thanks for that was using the two lenses at glasgow show same distance from stage and expected a better iq from the 24-105L
24 Jul 2012 8:38PM
Looks like the first picture was taken in sunlight (perhaps flash) and the second shot she's in the shade. The second shot with the macro looks underexposed compared to the first. So the image colours will look different due to the colour temperature of the light hitting the subject being different the exposure will affect the saturation of the colours.
I've both lenses and have never found a difference in colour reproduction under the same circumstances only when the colour temperature of the light changes. The macro is sharper but the 24 to 105L is no slouch in terms of image quality, a wee bit soft at f4 in the corners and vignettes at 24mm but sharpens up nicely on stopping down. I'd suggest testing both lenses under the same conditions and deciding then which you prefer. I use the 24-105 a lot for shooting weddings and never had an issue with image quality.
Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2012 3:01PM
The difference in lens would not make any significant difference in colour. As suggested the first image is slightly overexposed and the second slightly underexposed. It is not clear to me where the second image is focussed but the face of the singer is not in focus. I use the 24-105mm for a lot of studio portraits and it is very versatile and excellent IQ. However, the 14-105mm is not the lens for Macro work so it is horses for courses.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.