Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

24 pristine Spitfires unearthed in Myanmar (Burma)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 10:20 AM

For those keen plane-watchers, this may get your juices flowing:

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2186-full.html#206526

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2013 - 10:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110171 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wow, they found them - amazing stuff!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 10:50 AM

I read in the paper at the weekend that Mr Cundall was looking for them but I hadn't heard that he had found them. Lets hope thay are still in working condition.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 10:57 AM

thanks, Mike...have been following the story on and off...what a treasure trove Grin

JohnParminter
8 Jan 2013 - 10:59 AM

Quote: Wow, they found them - amazing stuff!

No, they have not, yet.

A team went out at the weekend to investigate the suspected location where the crates are, Yangon airport.

I don't think they have actually proved that the boxes contain pristine Spitfires, rusted junk or nothing yet.

Shouldn't be long though before they know either way, will be interesting.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6536 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think I read on the BBC that they actually found them in late November last year, and are back now to start excavating them. Either way, this is an amazing find. I did also read that Mr Cundall was happy with the idea of companies paying toward the restoration of the planes being allowed to have their logo on them - imagine a Spitfire with Tescos logo on the wings . . . . . . . . Sad

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 11:10 AM

I was also pleasantlysurtprised tocome across that web page as well - the BBC website only yesterday mentioned the hunt but not having found anything. Maybe at the weekend they actually confirmed it with the borehole - fingers crossed.

Quote: imagine a Spitfire with Tescos logo on the wings

red, white and blue...sound familiar? Wink

JohnParminter
8 Jan 2013 - 11:11 AM

I think it is best to wait until they have actually dug the crates out of the ground and opened them to see what is inside them.

chris.maddock
8 Jan 2013 - 11:35 AM

With a bit of luck it'll make up for Rolls-Royce's one getting bent yesterday Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20939051

Actually, now the Beeb have a photo of it being moved, hopefully the damage isn't too much.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 11:45 AM

I don't think they've found anything yet: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20910980

They've been looking for 17 years, apparently.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 11:50 AM

That's an amazing story. It will be incredible for the guy who's 98. Hope he survives to see them recovered. And fingers crossed for the farmer...quite an investment and big gamble.

keith selmes
8 Jan 2013 - 12:15 PM

Quote: I don't think they've found anything yet

sort of, they are said to have drilled into a crate and, with a camera have seen something resembling a spitfire. It sounds as though they have found something, but they won't really know until what they've dug one up.

chris.maddock
8 Jan 2013 - 1:02 PM

Quote: but they won't really know until what they've dug one up.

Depending how they were crated up (*) they may have to dig all the crates up and open them before they know if they have anything complete.

(*) several crates per complete aircraft or each crate containing parts for several aircraft.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6536 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 - 1:38 PM

Quote: (*) several crates per complete aircraft or each crate containing parts for several aircraft.

wow!! Thats going to be one big 3D jigsaw for them then!!

chris.maddock
8 Jan 2013 - 1:47 PM

Quote: (*) several crates per complete aircraft or each crate containing parts for several aircraft.

wow!! Thats going to be one big 3D jigsaw for them then!!

If they're lucky there might be a set or two of assembly instructions.

"These small parts are best painted before you break them off the sprue" Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.