Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

3.15pm Mayhem.

Now I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but In my area of Glasgow, come 3.15pm when all the schools come out for the day the internet speed takes a rapid tumble.

Is it possible that all the kids are busy studying there home work/school work online, or are they playing games online and chatting to friends that they have just sat in school with all day. lol

My kids at the moment are away down to the park to play with there friends and make the best of the dry weather and fresh air, but do other kids really sit at computers all night after school instead of getting some fresh air.

Its just not fair that us adults can't view some pictures at a reasonable speed. lol

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

p3asa 8 676 Scotland
6 Sep 2007 4:38PM
Can't say I've noticed Richard and I'm in East Ren also. What ISP are you with as maybe they do something?

My ISP (Plusnet) traffic shape from midday and any torrents I am downloading usually start going slightly slower but general browsing remains the same.

Steven.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
6 Sep 2007 4:39PM
Can't say I've noticed the same here.
Just done a test and getting 5.2 meg on a guaranteed 4.5 meg line.
Normal to get between 5.3 and 5.5 most of the time.

Quote:Can't say I've noticed Richard and I'm in East Ren also. What ISP are you with as maybe they do something?

My ISP (Plusnet) traffic shape from midday and any torrents I am downloading usually start going slightly slower but general browsing remains the same.

Steven.

Hi Steven, I'm with NTL well its virgin now, but it really does suffer.

Richie.
ian walker 10 716 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2007 7:45PM
doug who is your ISP provider

would love to have that sort of speed..
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
6 Sep 2007 8:07PM
I'm with BT.
6 Sep 2007 8:49PM
thanks, i have been with tiscali for some time and it just isnt fast enough. is it worth the change i wonder?
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
6 Sep 2007 8:58PM
Some people love BT and some hate them.
I've been with them for a long time and never had any problems.
I'm not too far away from the exchange here (line of sight), but the line just won't support the full 8 meg.

When I upgraded to the Total Broadband package they were very honest about only being able to guarantee 4.5 meg, but it seems to have settled at somewhere between 5.3 and 5.5 most of the time.

It isn't the cheapest at just short of 25 a month, but I get the home hub and phone with free evening and weekend calls and 250 free wi-fi minutes a month.

I always thought that the cable speeds were good.
It seems you don't find this to be so?
6 Sep 2007 10:08PM
not really, i am on a 2meg package and its never really been better than 1meg

i guess it is a number of factors, distance to the exchange blah blah blah Smile
rodp 9 1.2k England
6 Sep 2007 10:18PM
This may sound daft, and I'm probably overlooking something really simple, but how do I find out what my connection speed really is?
Rod
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
6 Sep 2007 10:30PM
There are several sites around that can check your speed.
I use this one , but BT also have a speed checking site here which gives the line max rated speed.
6 Sep 2007 10:36PM
only 976 kbps download, 245kpbs upload.

is it me, or is that rubbish?
rodp 9 1.2k England
6 Sep 2007 10:38PM
Thanks Doug, I'll try that.
Rod
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
6 Sep 2007 10:41PM

Quote:is it me, or is that rubbish?

I just got this:

Download Speed: 5331 kbps Upload Speed: 379 kbps

BT guarantee me 4500 kbps.

You decide...
6 Sep 2007 11:05PM
its rubish Sad

booooooooooooooo.

dumb question coming.....if i went to BT, could i keep my tiscali email address?...............dumb question over

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.