Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

3 mobile

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_Hilton
15 Jan 2011 - 6:44 PM

I am considering a new 24 month contract with 3 mobile offering 500mins 5000 texts and 1 gig or internet for what seems like a great price of 20 a month. However as I travel around alot I just wondered what peoples experiences are from using one of the so called budget mobile companies.
I have looked at the coverage map but its hard to gauge so thought id ask.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2011 - 6:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 103455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2011 - 7:00 PM

The only troubles I ever had with three, was when trying to talk to one of their call centre operatives, where the language barrier was always problematic. Also, the small print could be clearer; even the staff had trouble finding certain parts when asked. Coverage and value was great.

Nick_Hilton
15 Jan 2011 - 7:01 PM

discreetphoton cheers for that - the deal seems great but if turns out to be crap coverage then im stuck for 24months

User_Removed
15 Jan 2011 - 8:30 PM

I will not give '3' the time of day. A dreadful Company.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2011 - 8:37 PM

Quote: I will not give '3' the time of day. A dreadful Company.

+1^^^

Nick_Hilton
15 Jan 2011 - 8:55 PM

Mike I am guessing its awful due to bad customer service? Or is it due to a poor phone signal?

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jan 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have been with 3 now for a few years now and to be honest I have come close to moving away more than once. However recently locally the network has been improved immensly, now my Blackberry in the main shows a really good signal even indoors.

I have also signed up to the One Plan, which as well as giving something like 5000 inclusive minutes and 5000 text messages, the One Plan also features unlimited internet access, not only that I am able to tether the Blackberry to my laptop and use the Blackberry as a modem which out performs my Vodafone dongle. Thats against the background of the other carriers restricting data use.

I would recommend that you check 3's coverage where you will be using your phone before you decide.

MrGoatsmilk
15 Jan 2011 - 10:19 PM

My wife has a 3 mobile, hardly any signal we have to stand in the front window to make a call even then it breaks up the calls, has let us down more times than I can remember. It even dropped out when speaking to 3 complaining about the lack of signal.

They told my wife that the new phone (they recommended) would solve all our issues and would use the Orange network aswell as the 3 network, guess what, yes it's just as bad as it was before. She tends to send a text instead of making a call as they just keep breaking up and dropping out.

The coverage map shows great signal strength but in reality it's anything but in most areas. As in most areas it does not work even if they say it does.

DON'T TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!

If you really want to try it then get a 3 pay as you go SIM and try it where you are likely to make and receive calls that way you can decide if it's good enough for you where you are instead of listening to their sales patter.

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 15 Jan 2011 - 10:21 PM
Nick_Hilton
15 Jan 2011 - 11:42 PM

thanks for all your comments they are helpful

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
16 Jan 2011 - 2:40 AM

3 have always been good for me, there was a point, a long time ago, when the internet coverage was a little hit and miss, but it's excellent now. All of the networks have various black spots which is why there are still so many masts going up everywhere (check your local councils planning pages to see).

As suggested, check out your own area with a free sim.

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2011 - 7:44 AM

you always get the bad comments more than the good.... Wink i have been with three for about (funny enough) 3 years, and have had no problems with them, and have just signed another 2 year deal. Unlimited internet, unlimited text, unlimited 3 to 3 calls, and 300 other minutes for 20 a month. now my paretns, and my wifes parents, and my wife are all with them, and have good signal strength and no problems. The only issue my wife had was the free internet not being creditied to her account, but they refunded the next month.

The only thing that we cant have due to low signal is the mobile broadband, but we have broadband in the house and use BT fon hotspots so dont really need it.
Smile

Kevcanon
Kevcanon  328 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2011 - 9:21 AM

been with 3 mobile for years, i've never had issue with them. only yesterday i upgraded my phone (htc desire hd android ) to the one plan. i travel around uk a lot ( hardly to scotland) but never have issue with signal or internet coverage. HTH

Snapper
Snapper  93772 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2011 - 10:40 AM

Quote: They told my wife that the new phone (they recommended) would solve all our issues and would use the Orange network aswell as the 3 network, guess what, yes it's just as bad as it was before. She tends to send a text instead of making a call as they just keep breaking up and dropping out.

I don't think this is right as I'm sure it is T-Mobile that shares service with Orange as I've been looking to change my phone. I use Orange mainly for coverage in the far NW of Scotland where we sat phones on Vodaphone, O2 and Orange next to one another while on holiday and the Orange signal was always the strongest, even when we swapped the SIM to one of the other phones. This is not a small difference when it means you can phone from indoors rather than stepping outside amongst the rain and the midgies! Tongue

BarrieNeilPhotography

Snapper is correct. Orange are now merged with T-Mobile and it has improved the service considerably in my experience Smile

MrGoatsmilk
26 Feb 2011 - 11:43 AM

From the 3 website FAQ's

Quote: Why does my phone have an 'R' or 'Orange' on the screen sometimes?
There are some areas where we don't yet have masts, so we have an agreement with Orange to use their network to give you even better coverage for calls and texts. You won't pay any more for this service, it's just one of the benefits of being with Three.

link

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.