Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

30D Repair or replace

15 Feb 2012 6:50AM
Hi,
Ihave a 30D which keeps coming up with error 99. I have cleaned the contacts etc., but as I have already had a repair done about a year ago on this camera I think pehaps its time to change it. What camera is the best replacement which will take the same lenses as at the 30D?
Pete.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
15 Feb 2012 8:53AM
60D or 7D would be the obvious choices but are you sure it's the camera. I had the same error on my 40D with the 17-85 lens and it was the wiring inside the lens that caused the 'communication' problem between camera and lens. I dumped the lens and got the 15-85 but also got the 7D anyway - a combination I use 90% of the time.
15 Feb 2012 8:55AM
I have a 30D and love it. Sorry to hear about the problems your having.

Depends on your budget really. You could go for a second hand 40, 50 or a new 60D or even a 7D if you have lenses specifically for the smaller APS-C sizes sensor. If you have standard lenses then the sky is the limit.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2012 9:42AM
Any EOS camera will take the lenses that you have for your 30D (but any EF-S lenses you have will not fit on a 'full frame' sensor).

As Umberto says, the best camera to replace it depends on your budget. My default choice would be for the 60D which has the highest spec APS-C sensor that Canon currently has on the market plus a movable LCD for low level work. If you shoot a lot of birds in flight, the 60D is still very capable but the 7D is the state-of-the-art. If budget is too tight for the 60D then you could go for the 50D or 40D.
I started with the 30D and now have the 7D (though I still use the 30D) - most of the time I cannot tell the difference between pictures from either camera and bought the 7D purely for the functionality of the improved AF.
15 Feb 2012 6:47PM
Thanks for your comments. I have a EFS 17-55 lens and a EF 100-400 and the fault happens with both lenses. The fault will even occur with no lens on and with no memory card in the camera. I take alot of pictures at Drifting (as both my sons have Drift cars) so I do need to keep the 100-400. As my 30D (which is a great camera when its working) has had a couple of problems I wonder if the 40D and 50D have similar problems. I think I will be looking at the 60D or the 7D.
All the best, Pete.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2012 7:41PM
You can wait for ever for a Timor camera but the 70d may be close if you look at northlight rumors.
Of course you need a camera now, this does mean 60d's might be a good price at the moment.
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
15 Feb 2012 8:07PM
Current rumour is that there will be no 7D Mk2 and that the 70D spec will step up midway higher in the gap between 600D/700D and 5D Mk2/3.

I guess that would mean the 70D is likely to be at a higher price point than the 60D currently is.

Your decision is unlikely to be wrong if you buy now when you 'need' a camera rather than when you only 'want' one.

HTH

Don't forget that camera rumours are exactly just that and means that bungee jumpers can go down as well as up

:o)
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2012 8:11PM
'Error 99' is a well-known phenomenon and seems to be a rather unhelpful catch-all. In other words it is a meaningless code that tells you nothing.

Try this page and then start thinking about a new camera...

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/
16 Feb 2012 7:10AM
I will look into" richard notes " at the weekend , hopefully my 30D will live a bit longer.
Thanks for all your help. Pete.
meercat e2
5 278 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2012 10:17AM
I had err99 on my 20D and had camera and lenses etc checked, all were fine, turns out it was the battery grip I had attached, the camera is still going strong (although I will replace it one day).
3 Mar 2012 10:17PM
30D has been in for repair ror a week now ( as I tried everything but still no go). Bought a 7D today.GrinWinkSmile
OldTom1 e2
3 69
5 Mar 2012 9:59PM
You won't regret buying the 7D.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.