Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

30D shutter count

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Dado
Dado  564 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2010 - 5:34 PM

Anybody knows how I can find out the true shutter count actuations on a canon 30D, some cameras it is easily done, not so with the 30D.
Any help please
Don.

Read 3 times

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Mar 2010 - 5:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bucephalas69
9 Mar 2010 - 5:42 PM

It must be difficult to find out. Let me help you!

Dado
9 Mar 2010 - 5:57 PM

Hi and thanks Bucephalas69, There was no way saying how to do it other than a canon repair shop, I am sure there must be a way of doing this, come on you clever people.

Bucephalas69
9 Mar 2010 - 6:04 PM

1) Take an exposure
2) Transfer the resulting JPEG to your computer
3) Download and install IrfanView
4) Open the JPEG in IrfanView
5) Press I, then press E

Your looking at the exif info and the "File number" will give you the actuations from the last time it was reset.
That's about as close as you get me thinks.

LensYews
LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2010 - 6:32 PM

But that only gives you a number between 0 and 9999, if the body has been round the clock more than once, then you have no way of knowing. Like they said on the internet forum you refered to, you've have to take it back to Canon to find out.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
9 Mar 2010 - 9:35 PM

I'm pretty sure the info is embedded in the exif data of RAW files. That's how I checked the actuations on my 1D mk 2 before I sold it.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73905 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2010 - 9:41 PM

Just open Exif info in photoshop (in CS2 = File>file Info), click on advanced tab, Expand all the sections then look for "aux:ImageNumber" - Just done it myself tonight when preparing the add for the D300 in the classified section.

Dado
9 Mar 2010 - 9:51 PM

Hi Nick W, Yes I know you can do it that way in photoshop with the Nikon cameras, You cant with the canon 30D.
Cambirder There are a few programs to read the 1Ds Sadly not the 30D.
Thanks.
Don.

Last Modified By Dado at 9 Mar 2010 - 9:54 PM
Bucephalas69
9 Mar 2010 - 10:07 PM

I think the google hit's (or lack of them) suggest that you can't do this with the 30D.
All you can get is the frame count from it's last reset. If you don't think it's ever been reset then you can work it out with simple arithmatic if it's been clocked.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Dado
9 Mar 2010 - 11:01 PM

How do i work it out please tell me.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2010 - 11:47 PM

You need the canon service tool as the camera retains the count in a memory store it does not embed in EXIF data and that can only be accessed via the service tool. The other counter that can turn up in the file numbering system can be reset so cannot be relied upon.

This is different from the 1 series cameras

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Mar 2010 - 11:47 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Dado
12 Mar 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi Strawman; Any idea where this tool is available from.
Don.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:06 PM

Sorry to my knowledge it is a tool that canon keep for themselves as they would only want their service and diagnostic people to have it.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:09 PM

I'm not sure if you can on Canon, but I had a camera I sold on ebay and someone asked me...so I looked it up and found a site that gave a series of button switches, off, on press menu, hold two other buttons while skipping with one hand above your head and spin in a circle type of thing (well it felt like that)Tongue. But that pulled up the actual actuations on the rear screen.

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:31 PM

I have a 30d and the counter resets at 9999 and then sets off again...I did read somewhere ages ago that you could access the shutter count via a full version of photoshop...but Im not sure if it was the complete counter after 9999.
The 30d was designed for 100.000 shutter actuactions so I would suggest if its working ok now then theres no reason to believe the shutter mechanism will give any problems in the future.

Petes Playstation Tecnique sounds like fun but im pretty sure it wont work on a 30d!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.