Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

32 percent rise

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 9:46 PM

apparently thats what most MPs want for their next payrise, £65k + expenses isnt nearly enough Grin

this isnt just a moan (much Grin ), its a serious question.. should MPs be paid more? Would it make them work more effectively? I've seen a general trend among some employees that you dont put in the effort before you get the appropriate level of pay, rather than prove you think you are are worth it in the first place? Much the reverse to when I first started employment many moons ago Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2013 - 9:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 9:52 PM

The standard pay rises for teachers have now stopped, its all going to be performance related, but how do you gauge how well an MP is performing.

User_Removed
19 Jan 2013 - 9:55 PM

Pay rise.

What is this please?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 9:58 PM

Dont know Paul, dont think it would be easy.. I mean some say they do 60 hours a week but that could be because they are slow not because they do alot, and vice versa.

Mike.. its an addition to your annual salary, every year.. well I think thats what it is. Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 10:06 PM

Don't forget that on top of the £62k salary they also get significant sums of money in the form of expenses (from memory this exceeds the sum they get as salary)

Considering that the bulk of the are "Professional" politicians (ie: have no experience of real work) I feel they get paid far to much already

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 10:22 PM

Quote: Pay rise.

What is this please?

lønnspålegg Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 10:35 PM

Quote: I mean some say they do 60 hours a week

How many hours of that are spent lunching and drinking, seriously?

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
19 Jan 2013 - 11:03 PM

I remember a politician not so long ago saying , "We are all in this together"

Doesn't look like it to me

mikehit
mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM

They say they want pay equivalent to someone in the private sector, and I have often heard MPs say an increase is needed to attract people to politics rather than the private sector.
My view is that most of them couldn't get a decent paid job in the pivate sector... so yes, give them an equivalent pay of what they could getTongue

Last Modified By mikehit at 19 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM
gwynn56
gwynn56  260 forum posts England
19 Jan 2013 - 11:28 PM

if it was performance related then they should all be taking a 32% cut in salleries and expenses , pity atos not doing the mp's assesment

thewilliam
19 Jan 2013 - 11:33 PM

When the next election comes, some MPs are in danger of losing their deposit and not just their seats!

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
20 Jan 2013 - 6:57 AM

Quote: How many hours of that are spent lunching and drinking, seriously?

I would imagine they are quite serious about their lunching and drinking,after all organizing a P--s up in a brewery takes some time to get right & they ain't got it right yet.

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 - 7:00 AM

They should get just less than the rate of inflation. Like the rest of us. That is if you are fortunate to get a rise and have a job................

chris.maddock
20 Jan 2013 - 7:40 AM

Quote: Underpaid?! Backbench MPs? Darling, being an MP is a vast subsidised ego-trip. It's a job that needs no qualifications, it has no compulsory hours of work, no performance standards, and provides a warm room, a telephone and subsidised meals to a bunch of self-important windbags and busybodies who suddenly find people taking them seriously because they've go the letters 'MP' after the their name. How can they be underpaid when there's about 200 applicants for every vacancy? You could fill every seat 20 times over even if they paid to do the job!

Jim Hacker, 1986

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 8:13 AM

A more serious concern for me is the fact in these times when things are so tight they believe its a good idea to vote themselves a rise, it shows a severe lack of of understanding of the mood of this country.
Our government are as corrupt as any out there, at least with other country's it's illegal if they get caught, here we just make rules to cover it it and when we they gut caught move the goal posts.

It's so easy to understand why voting figures are down. When parts of the electorate have no confidence in a system that they feel they don't have the power to change.
At the last election many believed having a coalition would be a good thing by having a 3rd party cancelling out the excesses of the first, in realty they just made a deal and the status quo continues.

I personally cannot see an answer to this as I'm unsure the present political system would ever except change.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.