Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

32 percent rise

teepee 11 745 England
20 Jan 2013 12:51PM
Pay rise for them and a pay cut for Police Officers, May has got it sorted!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 1:08PM

Quote:a pay cut for Police Officers

Shouldn't that read "and a changed pay scale for police officers?"

Quote:The recommendations of the mammoth two-part Winsor Review of police pay had one simple aim: to stop paying police officers for the time they have served and start paying them for their skills and the challenges they face. In other words - the days of paying an officer more just because he had done 28 years would go

Quote:Starting salaries will be cut by up to £4,259 from April, making the starting salary £19,000. This salary will be given to those with the least or no relevant experience - such as those who join at 18. But some recruits will start on £22,000 if they have some experience, such as time spent as a special constable. The change in starting salaries will save an estimated £140m over five years.

But the deal also means that many constables will have the opportunity to move to the top of the pay scale - currently around £36,000 - more quickly,

I know its not as much fun as slagging off May but just thought the facts were interesting in their own right Tongue
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 1:12PM

Quote:the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority said salaries should rise to an average of £86,250
And they would scrap the MP's expensive pension scheme at the same time. If they adopt that plan it will happen probably in 2015, when the next parliament starts.

"MPs’ salaries could soar to as much as £92,000 a year – a leap of more than 40 per cent - under plans to link politicians’ pay to average earnings.

They are set to lose their gold-plated pensions as part of a review of their remuneration by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa)"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-pay-could-climb-by-40-per-cent-to-92000-under-pensions-review-8212540.html
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Jan 2013 1:35PM
I imagine 69% of workers generally think they are underpaid! Wink

But thinking you are underpaid and then paying yourself a large increase is something only confined to the 'captains of industry' (or more like captains of shuffling money around, these days!)

According to this, median CEO pay for FTSE100 companies is £856,000.... i.e. the equivalent of 13 MPs. I wonder how many of these individuals are worth more than many workers earn in a lifetime?
edtaylor 3 104 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 2:13PM
I would say the biggest waste of money are Footballers wages !!.
brian1208 e2
20 Jan 2013 3:48PM
Absolutely not worth the money but some how I don't mind that so much, maybe because I'm not contributing to their pay Wink
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 4:37PM

Quote:I would say the biggest waste of money are Footballers wages !!.

Different, though, because they are paid according to their market (even if distorted at the moment) worth by a commercial organisation so it really is no one else's business what they or their agents get for them. If they were paid so much that they bankrupted the club, so be it. If I were given tickets for Manchester United I'd not bother to go and I don't have Sky TV so Wayne Rooney's wages affect me not at all.

But MPs determine their own market and are paid by you and I so their pay does matter to us all.
bainsybike 5 276
20 Jan 2013 4:43PM

Quote:I'm not contributing to their pay

I suspect you are. Income tax? VAT? Road tax? Insurance Premium tax? To name but a few.
robertt 8 79 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 4:43PM
If MP,s were performance rated they be the lowest paid in the UK.

robertt
20 Jan 2013 4:52PM

Quote:I suspect you are. Income tax? VAT? Road tax? Insurance Premium tax? To name but a few.

Brian1208 was referring to footballer's pay, I think. By the way, road tax was abolished over 70 years ago. Since then, tax paid on motor vehicles has had no connection with roads or anything else connected with transport, it is simply paid in to the coffers of the exchequer. It is a tax on owning a car, that's all.

There's a similar myth about National Insurance. I has no connection with health spending, pensions or anything else. Money is collected and paid to the exchequer. Pensions are paid from current tax revenues. If a pension company did that it would be called a pyramid selling scam!
brian1208 e2
20 Jan 2013 5:23PM

Quote:Brian1208 was referring to footballer's pay, I think

Yes, sorry I should have made that clear
bainsybike 5 276
20 Jan 2013 5:28PM

Quote:Brian1208 was referring to footballer's pay, I think.

Oh, sorry. Sad And you're right about Road Tax too, although I was just using the term as shorthand for Motor Vehicle Excise Duty, or whatever it is that we pay for to get a tax disc.
20 Jan 2013 6:16PM

Quote:although I was just using the term as shorthand for Motor Vehicle Excise Duty, or whatever it is that we pay for to get a tax disc

It's funny, really, because they have all these fancy names for taxes but it really makes no difference what they are called. I think they feel that if they give the impression it is for something we all need like roads and doctors, we'll complain less about paying it. Something in that, I suppose.

Going back to the 32 per cent, could there be a worse time to look for a massive pay rise?
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2013 6:44PM

Quote:If MP,s were performance rated they be the lowest paid in the UK.

Quite the contrary, I visited my MP at Westminster and was astoished at the amount of work she was due to do that day. There are many people who would have clocked out at 5:30 and gone home but she was not even thinking of going home until at least 11:00 O'Clock that night.

I really do think Mp's are underpaid, there salary should be at least £100K.
20 Jan 2013 7:43PM

Quote:I really do think Mp's are underpaid, there salary should be at least £100K.

I think you know what to do Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.