Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

350D - help with apreture

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kerrybearman
    25 Jan 2008 - 9:49 AM

Hi! I'm a new'un to ePHOTOzine... have introduced myself in 'taking photos'.

I have a Canon EOS 350D and the obligatory 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 Canon lens, and thought I knew a fair bit about aperture, but am really not understanding why my camera won't let me open it up to f3.5. Am I being a thick-O? Thanks. Kerry

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Jan 2008 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022904 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jan 2008 - 9:52 AM

Possibly because you're at the 55mm end of the lens and it's maximum is f5.6 at focal length.

At 18mm you can use f3.5

crox
    crox Junior Member 7142 forum posts
    25 Jan 2008 - 9:53 AM

Your Lens will only be able to have it's widest aperture value at its widest setting.

i.e. 18mm - f/3.5
    55mm - f/5.6

If you set you lens to it's widest angle (18mm) you should be able to use f/3.5. If you then Zoom in you will notice that the camera alters the aperture accordingly.

Paul

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jan 2008 - 9:56 AM

I am very surprised that they didn't teach you that in college.
    A cr*p college or what?

Geoffphoto
    25 Jan 2008 - 10:25 AM

Quote: I am very surprised that they didn't teach you that in college.
    A cr*p college or what?

NO, just a crap lens !!!!

kerrybearman
    25 Jan 2008 - 10:36 AM

Er... a crap college AND a crap lens. No, I've tried every which way - 18mm included. 18mm is only opening it to f4! I'm so confused - I thought that the lens wasn't being completely compatible with the camera.

And to the college thing... if you want to learn anything other than how to build a pinhole camera, you have to ask... not something I could be bothered with at 16... it's my own stupid fault. By the time I got to art college, they assumed I'd already learned it!

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    25 Jan 2008 - 10:49 AM

I haven't used my 18-55 for a while, and I'm at work so I can't check and might be talking complete rubbish...

Do you have your camera set to one-half or one-third exposure increments (CF 6)?

If it is one-half, then I think you might not be able to select f/3.5 as it is one-third of a stop wider than f/4.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jan 2008 - 10:55 AM

Quote: NO, just a crap lens !!!!

there is only cr*p photographer, no cr*p lens...lol

kerrybearman
    25 Jan 2008 - 10:57 AM

YES! That's it. Thanks Sabreur! I didn't even know that choice existed on this camera! The problem with digital. Think I shold lock myself in a room for 2 days and become at one with my camera.

Thanks everyone.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.