Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

350D - help with apreture

25 Jan 2008 9:49AM
Hi! I'm a new'un to ePHOTOzine... have introduced myself in 'taking photos'.

I have a Canon EOS 350D and the obligatory 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 Canon lens, and thought I knew a fair bit about aperture, but am really not understanding why my camera won't let me open it up to f3.5. Am I being a thick-O? Thanks. Kerry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jan 2008 9:52AM
Possibly because you're at the 55mm end of the lens and it's maximum is f5.6 at focal length.

At 18mm you can use f3.5
crox Junior Member
25 Jan 2008 9:53AM
Your Lens will only be able to have it's widest aperture value at its widest setting.

i.e. 18mm - f/3.5
55mm - f/5.6

If you set you lens to it's widest angle (18mm) you should be able to use f/3.5. If you then Zoom in you will notice that the camera alters the aperture accordingly.

Paul
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
25 Jan 2008 9:56AM
I am very surprised that they didn't teach you that in college.
A cr*p college or what?
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2008 10:25AM

Quote:I am very surprised that they didn't teach you that in college.
A cr*p college or what?

NO, just a crap lens !!!!
25 Jan 2008 10:36AM
Er... a crap college AND a crap lens. No, I've tried every which way - 18mm included. 18mm is only opening it to f4! I'm so confused - I thought that the lens wasn't being completely compatible with the camera.

And to the college thing... if you want to learn anything other than how to build a pinhole camera, you have to ask... not something I could be bothered with at 16... it's my own stupid fault. By the time I got to art college, they assumed I'd already learned it!
Sabreur 9 767 England
25 Jan 2008 10:49AM
I haven't used my 18-55 for a while, and I'm at work so I can't check and might be talking complete rubbish...

Do you have your camera set to one-half or one-third exposure increments (CF 6)?

If it is one-half, then I think you might not be able to select f/3.5 as it is one-third of a stop wider than f/4.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
25 Jan 2008 10:55AM

Quote:NO, just a crap lens !!!!

there is only cr*p photographer, no cr*p lens...lol
25 Jan 2008 10:57AM
YES! That's it. Thanks Sabreur! I didn't even know that choice existed on this camera! The problem with digital. Think I shold lock myself in a room for 2 days and become at one with my camera.

Thanks everyone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.