Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

350D or 20D?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ajmills
ajmills  12 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2005 - 9:07 AM

Hi all,

I have a quandary, I am looking to get into the world of digital SLRs, and being a long time fan of Canon, I am looking at either the 350D or the 20D.

My heart tells me I want a 20D, but common sense (my head) is saying the 350D. I can get the 350D for 555 on amazon.co.uk, and the 20D for 799 (with cash-back).

I've looked at the specifications for both, and I'm not sure the 20D has that much extra to justify the extra 244. And I'm half certain that it won't be that long before Canon will release an update to the 20D. And I know I could use that 244 to buy another lens or two.

Yet, I still hanker after the 20D Smile

So, anyone does who uses either, or both, have any comments that could help me make up my mind? Smile

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Dec 2005 - 9:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
Boyd  1111213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2005 - 9:11 AM

Quote: I know I could use that 244 to buy another lens or two.

Based on that criteria go for the 350D.

JohnHawthorne
24 Dec 2005 - 9:25 AM

Yep, that's an easy one. Go for the 350D. 244 will make a much bigger difference spent on another lens. The difference between a 20D and a 350D is not as great as the difference 244 can make in a lens.

Every time someone agonises over which camera to buy (quite rightly so too) I always say once you've made the decision, don't look at the market again, but concentrate on your photography. There's always going to be better kit out there but am I as good as my kit? No! I need to learn better technique, habits, etc.

Hope you enjoy the digital SLR experience, and share your photos with us soon.

Merry Christmas!

Snapper
Snapper  93766 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2005 - 9:25 AM

David S H Leung are a longtime Canon pro dealer based in Ilford, but I don't think they have a website I can link to. Anyway, their recent advert in AP strongly advised customers to go for the new 17-85 IS lens in place of the kit lens, but then went on to say that they thought that this lens with the 350D would be a better performer than the 20D with the kit lens.

I haven't tried any of these, but thought it was an interesting thing for them to say.

Mitzi
Mitzi  91011 forum posts
24 Dec 2005 - 9:29 AM

I do suspect they are right. I bought the 20D with the 17-85mm IS lens and it would seem to be a good outfit.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
24 Dec 2005 - 9:33 AM

I have a 350D,I am extrmely pleased with it. From what I have heard the 20D is better constructed, and gives slightly better results. However many people would probably not notice.

I would certainly put the extra cash towards a higher quality lens.

Having said that the 18-55 lens which came in the kit I bought was quite good,considering its price.

I now have a canon 28-105, and a Sigma 70-300 APO both of which I am pleased with.

I used to use a 35mm SLR and there is no difference in print quality up to A4, which as big as I need to go.

Hope this helps.

Steve

ajmills
24 Dec 2005 - 9:47 AM

Quote: Anyway, their recent advert in AP strongly advised customers to go for the new 17-85 IS lens in place of the kit lens, but then went on to say that they thought that this lens with the 350D would be a better performer than the 20D with the kit lens.

I've read in a few places that while the kit lens is "OK", it's not brilliant - but I'll still get the kit as it's only 2.56 more than the body only option on Amazon, and I can always sell it for more than that later on, or keep it as a spare.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
24 Dec 2005 - 9:55 AM

Me again,

just for info the 18-55 goes for about 50 on e-Bay !!

Steve

ajmills
24 Dec 2005 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for your replies - I had wondered if I had missed something that would make buying the 20d more worthwhile, but it seems not.

I think I shall get the 350D kit, and spend the money saved buying some decent lenses, and perhaps upgrade at some point in the future (if I really need to).

It's a shame there seems to be a big gaping hole between the 350D/20D and the 5D, which at 2000 is a little steep for most people.

Thanks.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2005 - 10:12 AM

A few differences between the 20D and 350D no one has mentioned. It has a better focusing system, in that it is faster and has more AF points plus it has a longer life Shutter mirror mechanism. From memory it also has a higher frame rate, plus it has dual wheel controls, and a bigger grip. You may or may not view these as important.

In the past the difference in price between the 300D and 10D was over 400. I would try both and decide. Personally I would pay the extra, but it is your choice. There are rumors of a 20D replacement in the spring.

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2005 - 10:48 AM

yesterday (23rd)i bought canon eos 350D with sigma 28-300mm, sigma 105mm macro F2.8 and 18-55mm kit lens (50) - you can tell straight away the quality difference between the kit lens and the more expensive sigma lenses though all three offer good to great image quality.

i still have more exploring and experimenting to go with my new camera but things like the button layout and ease of access to all of the features is very impressive - quick and easy which is what we want with our equipment.

i definitely recommend the BGE-3 battery grip for the 350D - it makes a very large improvement - i like it because it makes the camera instantly look like the more expensive models like the 1ds mkII =)
it makes alternating between landscape and portrait quick and easy due to having the same button setup as the main shutter button on the body. saves having to fiddle about trying to press the body shutter button.

i don't agree with the often mentioned thing that the 350D body is small for an slr - overall body size i would say it was barely a centimetre small than the average body. there are much smaller slr bodies on the market.

i'm rather biased toward the 350D compared to the 20D in that i've never seen or used a 20D up close but as mentioned in this thread already it is a good camera and not much difference between it and the 350D

i am 200% satisfied already with my 350D and choice of lenses etc - i know for sure that it will serve me very well

whatever you choose at the end of the day i hope you have a lot of enjoyment and fun =)

peter "morpyre" turner

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108378 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2005 - 1:41 PM

Quote: not much difference between it and the 350D

Better not let too many 20D owners hear you saying that Peter.
;oD
The 350D is a cut down version of the 20D, just like the 300D was a cut down version of the 10D.

I am sure the 350D is an excellent camera, but I won't be swapping my 20D for one!

The Sigma lenses you've bought should serve you well.
I have the 105 macro myself and the build quality is much better than the 18-55 kit lens.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new kit, and all the best for Christmas.

Doug ;o)

fez
fez  10262 forum posts
24 Dec 2005 - 8:32 PM

I'm a 350D owner.
After hearing this story too many times, w/o any info about use/preference for the camera I'd say 350D.

However,
If you're using it for sports or whatnot, the 20D may be a better cam for you.

Also, hold the two, and try using them in a store, then decide if you don't mind the 350d's dimensions and/or construction.

I love my 350d...I still wouldnt mind a 20d though.

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2005 - 2:56 AM

i still can't keep my hands off mine and my smile still beams across my face - going down to the local beach for an xmas walk to have more fun - i do of course mean my camera if anyone missunderstood and thought i was being smutty hehe =)

when money isn't a problem i definitely want to get the canon eos 1Ds mk II and the mamiya ZD

merry christmas all and happy new year with much great photography for us all =)

peter "morpyre" turner

UserRemoved
25 Dec 2005 - 3:36 AM

As above it depends on your usage and size of your hands.

I've used my friends 350D and I can only get two fingers on the grip (I've big hands but even so), on the 20D I get an extra finger Wink The battery grip on the 20D sorts that out and the battery grip on the 350D is cramped.

It depends if you are worried about the real plasticky feel of the 350D. It does feel horrible (well to me anyway).

If the money is the main key then go for the 350D, no question.

All that doesnt include the type of photography you want to do but in general use, the 20D wont give you anything over the 350D. Even if you have the difference to spend, you would be better spending it on an external flash and/or a couple of lenses (like the 50mm f1.8) or extra batteries/memory cards/day out/weekend away to actually use the camera.

If you want a camera for a specific type of photography then thats a different ball game as well.

Interesting, innit Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.