Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

350D Parameters

Tony_M 10 342 England
21 Aug 2005 4:00PM
I'm confused by the parameter options on my 350D.

Currently I use "Parameter 2" which has all values set at 0. Does this mean the camera is not applying any modification to contrast, sharpness, saturation or colour tone? Or does it mean that it is applying default modifications to each of these? Does setting -2 on sharpness mean that no sharpening is applied, or that in-camera softening is taking place?!

I shoot RAW and would like to think that none of the above makes any difference. However a series of test shots using -2 for all parameters then +2 reveals marked differences when viewing the respective RAW files.

Any advice or a pointer towards a book/article to read would be much appreciated.

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fez 10 262
21 Aug 2005 5:41PM
parameter 2 means its not adjusting for anything...

actually when you're shooting in raw...it really doesnt make a difference, as you can basically choose the parameters you shoot in afterwards. try using the raw utility in the provided software. if you shot in bw, you can revert back to color, if you used green filter, you could revert to using a red...

so basically, it really doesnt matter.
Tony_M 10 342 England
22 Aug 2005 12:02AM
I didn't think it mattered either. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in DPP? It seems DPP applies the as-shot parameter settings to the image when its viewed, but I can't find a way to change the parameter settings apart from making adjustments to the already-modified image.

Basically what I want is for the camera to do as little as possible, adjust dynamic range, WB and curves in DPP, then anything else in PS. (I use DPP curves as there's no curves function in Elements 2) Maybe all I need is to know that Parameter 2 is the in-camera do-nothing option, then I can go away and play with DPP/PSE.
jakabout 10 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2005 12:29AM
Hi Tony, re your comment about no curves in Elements 2, have a look at the following link - you can download a workaround. Works very well! Just follow the installation instructions and you're away. Earthbound light . Cheers, Judi
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2005 12:33AM
Tony, The Canon software will by default preview the image using the in-camera settings, which you can over ride. I suggest that you get a better RAW handler than the Canon provided one, either RawShooter for free or C1 at a bit of cost. You can alter more of the image parameters better in them.
Tony_M 10 342 England
22 Aug 2005 3:04AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those options tonight.

So much to learn..... Thankfully I find it enjoyable learning how to produce better photos.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.