Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

350D to 30D. Is it worth upgrading ?

steve_p 9 1.1k England
17 Jun 2006 7:27AM
Afternoon all,
I currently have a Canon 350d, which I am quite happy with. However I feel that I could do with a larger camera which would be more comfortable to hold.
Would it be a worthwhile improvement specification wise to go for a 30D or just buy a battery grip for my 350d.
Any opinions welcome- I dont want to go down the Nikon route !!- I have a couple of lenses for my Canon, and I don't wear sandals !!! I had better duck we don't want two wars on this subject.
Thanks

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 1.4k United Kingdom
17 Jun 2006 7:41AM
If your happy with the camera and it does what you want it to do... then buy the battery grip for the 350D... don't fix what aint broke!
nikon5700ite 10 1.8k
17 Jun 2006 10:36AM
There is a popular fallacy that the more expensive the camera to better the results. Yes the more expensive camera if properly handled probably will result in better results when the process is pushed towards the extremes.
But when working within moderate requirements the entry level camera will give you good results.

The question[s] is ... does the 30D have features that the 350D doesn't have ... and then ... do I really need them for the kind of photography I do, or want to do.
bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2006 11:53AM
Unfortunatly most of us have a limited supply of money, you'll need to weigh up the costs of upgrading to the 30D against your other options for photographic improvement (or what you can't now buy because you spent your money on the 30D) such as:
* More lenses (eg. macro, telephoto, stabilised)
* Other equipement (tripods, lights, studio, battery grips etc.)
* Going on a photographic course.
* Going away for a weekend somewhere scenic to take photos.
* Buying ~40 bottles of wine and forgetting about photography!

When I was looking for a DLSR I had trouble deciding whether the 20D was worth the extra money over the 350D, but in the end, with my budget, the choice boiled down to 350D+nice lens or 20D+cheap lens, I think the 350D was the better choice for me.

Bernard
Tony_M e2
10 342 England
17 Jun 2006 12:52PM
I have a 350D, and almost always have the grip on it. The increased size does make it easier and more comfortable to hold, especially with larger lenses, and the vertical shutter release is very helpful too. You can also use two batteries rather than one, so you can keep going longer as well.

If the rest of the camera does what you want it to, then there's no need to buy the bigger camera just yet.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.