Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

35mm Film lives on!!

ckristoff 10 959 Wales
19 Aug 2007 6:43PM
Friends,

this week I received my latest copy of Outdoor Photographer from USA.

One morning over breakfast, I read a wonderful article that was simply inspiring. It featured American photographer Tim Palmer, who loves taking images of rivers.

I loved the part where he mentioned that he still uses a couple of Canon A-1s and 6 fixed lenses of Canon's FD series, dating from 1984. Brilliant!!

So I ain't too stick in the mud with my EOS-3 and 3 newish EF L series zooms. Smile

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta 9 1.1k England
19 Aug 2007 8:17PM
It never died.now & again i load up my 90X and take myself back to the days when no frame was made to throw away.On a more serious day will put twelve in the RB67 & pay the price for processing slide film.It makes you think about it.

Graham
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
19 Aug 2007 8:31PM

Quote:It never died

unlike his website ! Wink (if that's his)

Not used 35mm film in a while now but still get the mamiya out every so often, just for fun.
20 Aug 2007 12:51AM
The 35mm film stock that I have now will be my last use of the stuff, apart from the occasional fun day with it in one of my film cameras.

Why shoot 35mm process it and then scan it into the computer, when you can shoot digital direct and upload it?

jas
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
20 Aug 2007 9:15AM

Quote:Why shoot 35mm process it and then scan it into the computer, when you can shoot digital direct and upload it?

sigh

Why walk up Snowden when you can catch the train?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Aug 2007 9:45AM
It's cheaper?
Wink
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
20 Aug 2007 9:50AM
shush you Wink Tongue
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 9:51AM
I shoot 35mm from time to time for fun to use a particular camera.

I would walk up Snowden for the journey, but would take the train through a city. Processing 35mm film for me is not part of the fun of the journey. but for some it is.
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
20 Aug 2007 10:00AM
If you're comfortable with a medium and it can produce the results you want why change for change's sake?
jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 12:52PM
I seem to be one of the few still mopping up old Nikons left to die on ebay. Spent a large part of yesterday in the darkroom getting to grips with a new (ebay!) Beard easel. Only came out with half a dozen prints which were then sepia toned but by 'eck, what a great way to spend a rainy day.

I use a D200 and a D70s on a daily basis for work purposes but film is still a truly rewarding hobby for me.
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 12:57PM
I still use my Nikon F4S and F3 whenever I can - mostly for pleasure as I work with the digitals all week Smile

The quality is still better I reckon .
thefizz 10 353
20 Aug 2007 1:22PM
[quoteWhy shoot 35mm process it and then scan it into the computer, when you can shoot digital direct and upload it? jas

Who said you have to scan it into the computer?
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 1:25PM

Quote:Who said you have to scan it into the computer?

Exactly !!! Smile
20 Aug 2007 1:58PM
I have ascended up Snowdon accompanied by my wife.

I have posted pics here, in the past, taken during the climb. The photographs were taken on 35mm film.

Why scan them in? Many photographers do. Read the threads on this site regarding problems with negative scanners!

How does one upload film based pics here without scanning them first?

Also, if I am going to print my photographs into my computer based journalistic projects then I have to.

Why change the existing methods? Answer - when your requirements change.

It all depends upon what your requirements are. I merely stated mine.

Finally, I did say that for fun I will shoot the occasional cassette of 35mm film. Plus the odd reel of 120 transparency film.

jas
20 Aug 2007 3:47PM

Quote:I have ascended up Snowdon

Redundant word up!

I agree that it would be difficult to ascend down! Smile

jas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.