Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

35MM FILM SCANNER LOOKING FOR NEW ONE

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kins56
    kins56  10
    14 Jul 2004 - 11:54 AM

Can you please help Iam looking for a new 35mm film scanner? Good points bad points cheap deals etc.
    Kins

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jul 2004 - 11:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Jul 2004 - 1:45 PM

I recently bought a Minolta Dimage IV from Ace Cameras (Bath but they also do mail order). At 250 it seemed a good deal and the product has so far been excellent. There are plenty of film scanners out there but the Minolta was the best compromise of quality and price and the 3200dpi gives very good results which, if I've not mucked up the figures too much, equates to a 14 Megapixel digicam. As yet I have not explored all its functions but it is very easy to get good scans without toomuch tinkering.

STUARTHILL758
    14 Jul 2004 - 7:58 PM

look in digital photo mag aug 04 issue no 57 plustek opticfilm 7200 150.0

theorderingone
    18 Jul 2004 - 12:24 AM

I'd keep your eye on the Nikon Coolscan 4 if you can bear to wait. I has recently been discontinued and is great value at it's current price of 249. I would think it will drop further though when retailers are trying to shift their last ones though.

Little Jo
    Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
    18 Jul 2004 - 9:00 AM

Check out Cameraworld website, they were doing the Nikon Coolscan V ED for 399.99. It is a brilliant scanner and will easily provide file sizes to get to A3 prints as it can go up to 4000dip. It has Digital ICE, GEM, ROC, something called DEE that is brilliant for improving shadow detail. Having ICE4, it can also scan Kodachrome. It is USB 2.0 so allows fast transfer rates to your pc and has a good dynamic range. I bought one over a month ago and have found the scanner's results to be nice and sharp.

Steer clear of bargain basement options if quality is an issue - they generally don't perform well. It's like everything else, you get what you pay for. You will get good results from a mid-range scanner. Cheaper options will give poorer image quality due to cheaper optics and slower scan times.

Jo

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.