Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

35mm image quality

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    QuentinS
    QuentinS  926 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jun 2008 - 9:44 PM

Hi,

I am using Pentax MZ-50 body as a rule although I have an MZ-60 too. On these I use either the Pentax SMC 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens that came with the MZ-50 or a Tamron 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6 lens as the mood takes me.

For several months I have been less than happy with the quality of my photos. They tend to be slightly blurred and I thought I was letting the camera move. However, over Easter I took several films that turned out brilliantly. Well pleased I was!

Last weekend I was shooting at Durham Regatta and I had the prints developed. To my surprise some of the pics were excellent, crisp and clear, whereas others were blurred. Analysis reveals that the clear ones were with the Tamron lens and the blurred with the Pentax.

In order to confirm this, I took a test shoot with both lenses and both bodies in Durham this afternoon and this confirms the issue - Pentax lens = blurred, Tamron = sharp.

Open and shut case you might think, Pentax lens is shot.

Life is never so simple, however: last night I was at an awards dinner and took 3 films worth of pics using a flashgun and the Pentax lens, and all these were OK, not perfectly sharp but certainly usable.

So, after the rather verbose tale, anyone got any ideas why the Pentax lens should show noticeable blurring in natural light but almost negligible in flashgun pics?

Any idea if this lens can be fixed?

Thanks,

Quentin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jun 2008 - 9:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PP
    PP  12222 forum posts England
    22 Jun 2008 - 10:36 PM

Difficult to comment without knowing something about your 'test' methodology, eg was the camera hand held or mounted on a sturdy tripod? Were you using fast or slow shutter speeeds? Is it perhaps the photographer causing the problem, rather than the camera???

Last Modified By PP at 22 Jun 2008 - 10:37 PM
    QuentinS
    22 Jun 2008 - 11:08 PM

Quote: Difficult to comment without knowing something about your 'test' methodology, eg was the camera hand held or mounted on a sturdy tripod? Were you using fast or slow shutter speeeds? Is it perhaps the photographer causing the problem, rather than the camera???

Fully prepared to take the blame! However:

Test shoot was as follows:

Manfotto tripod locked nice and tight, pretty well out of the wind.

MZ-50 with cable shutter release, MZ-60 with 2s timed shutter release (no cable on that model, one of its biggest failings IMHO).

In each case, I used as near as I could to the same zoom settings and for both lenses I took 4 pictures, min zoom, max zoom and 2 in the middle (I could go get the lenses and tell you the actual figures if you like).

Two things spoil the test: there were two different types of film in the cameras and I neglected to note the shutter speeds and aperture settings.

However - the Regatta pics I referred to above were all handheld. and, secondly, if it was operator error (ie me not holding it still enough) I would have expected that to be more apparent with the Tamron lens due to it being longer.

I have the pics from the MZ-50 on my laptop if you wish to have a look. Interestingly, even though these were taken within 1min of each other and no significant change in the weather, the colour is also quite different, warmer with the Pentax than with the Tamron.

Thanks,

Quentin

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2008 - 11:41 PM

Is it to do with the difference between the lens operating wide open or stopped down. Hand held you may have the lens wide open, whilst with flash you may have stopped it down a bit. If yes it could indicate a lens that is soft wide open, or it could be that the greater depth of field is masking a focusing problem.

justin c
    justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2008 - 11:52 PM

Quote: the colour is also quite different, warmer with the Pentax than with the Tamron.

That's quite normal to have a slightly different colour balance between lenses.

QuentinS
    24 Jun 2008 - 10:15 AM

Quote: That's quite normal to have a slightly different colour balance between lenses.

Ah, even though not a total newbie, I've not noticed it before.

Thanks.

Quentin

QuentinS
    24 Jun 2008 - 10:17 AM

Quote: Is it to do with the difference between the lens operating wide open or stopped down. Hand held you may have the lens wide open, whilst with flash you may have stopped it down a bit. If yes it could indicate a lens that is soft wide open, or it could be that the greater depth of field is masking a focusing problem.

Not sure. I used the auto settings on the cameras and let them do the work.

Quentin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.