Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

35mm or 40mm Which Should I Buy?

chefmarcus 1 17 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 5:07PM
I canít make mind up between the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens and the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens. Would it be a waste to buy both or do I even need both? I would really appreciate any advice that is going.
Thanks Marcus

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.8k
6 Nov 2013 5:15PM
How often are you likely to go really close: to lifesize? This is why people bu the 40mm.

How often are you likely to need the extra 1.3 stops of aperture that the 35mm will give? Check the metadata of your favourite pix and see whether you used the lens wide open.
uzi9mm 3 79 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 5:56PM
my two favorite lenses are the 40mm and the 50mm 1.8g. the 40mm lens is probably the best all round lens you can use from inches to infinity its so sharp its a great lens. I use the 50mm for low light.
6 Nov 2013 11:58PM
Thanks still undecided however I canít really justify two lenses of a similar size. It would be useful to see sample images of either and any macro i.mages from the 40mm would be good
7 Nov 2013 2:13AM
What camera do you need lens for? If it is an APS DSLR I would advice on 35mm. Considering crop factor it will be closer to it's purpose being wide lens than 40mm one. Plus an advantage of wider aperture - which may translate in better sharpness when stopped. Which is not the fact, but rather possibility.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
7 Nov 2013 10:53AM

Quote:Thanks still undecided however I canít really justify two lenses of a similar size. It would be useful to see sample images of either and any macro i.mages from the 40mm would be good

Nikon don't make many bad lenses and the two that you ask about are excellent. You don't need sample images. You need to decide whether you want the close-up facility of the 40mm or the wider aperture of the 35mm. The focal length difference isn't enough to make any significant difference.

As others have said, these lenses are only for DX format.
7 Nov 2013 5:29PM
I do appreciate the advice and I am going for the 40mm and I will consider say a the Sigma 10-20mm as a wide solution .
Ptr_A 5 54 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2013 2:30PM
5mm difference is so small, just buy one lens and either move towards or away from the subject. If you often shoot in low light, the 1.8 will be better than the 2.8. However, modern cameras can handle higher iso than earlier models, so 1.3 stops is negligible. Buying both, in my opinion, would be a waste of money.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
11 Nov 2013 12:08AM

Quote:5mm difference is so small, just buy one lens and either move towards or away from the subject. Buying both, in my opinion, would be a waste of money.

Unless one is a full-time professional in which case the everyday lenses need to be backed up!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Nov 2013 9:29AM
5mm is quite noticeable, especially at the wide end on a crop Smile
12 Nov 2013 10:19AM

Quote: Would it be a waste to buy both or do I even need both?

Only you can answer that. If you do a lot of very close focus work where close distance to the subject is not an issue, a lot of lowlight moderately wider angle work and you can afford both it would not be a waste for you, but it could be for someone else.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.