Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

35mm or 40mm Which Should I Buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chefmarcus
    6 Nov 2013 - 5:07 PM

I canít make mind up between the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens and the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens. Would it be a waste to buy both or do I even need both? I would really appreciate any advice that is going.
    Thanks Marcus

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Nov 2013 - 5:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    6 Nov 2013 - 5:15 PM

How often are you likely to go really close: to lifesize? This is why people bu the 40mm.

How often are you likely to need the extra 1.3 stops of aperture that the 35mm will give? Check the metadata of your favourite pix and see whether you used the lens wide open.

uzi9mm
    uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Nov 2013 - 5:56 PM

my two favorite lenses are the 40mm and the 50mm 1.8g. the 40mm lens is probably the best all round lens you can use from inches to infinity its so sharp its a great lens. I use the 50mm for low light.

chefmarcus
    6 Nov 2013 - 11:58 PM

Thanks still undecided however I canít really justify two lenses of a similar size. It would be useful to see sample images of either and any macro i.mages from the 40mm would be good

MichaelMelb_AU

What camera do you need lens for? If it is an APS DSLR I would advice on 35mm. Considering crop factor it will be closer to it's purpose being wide lens than 40mm one. Plus an advantage of wider aperture - which may translate in better sharpness when stopped. Which is not the fact, but rather possibility.

thewilliam
    7 Nov 2013 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Thanks still undecided however I canít really justify two lenses of a similar size. It would be useful to see sample images of either and any macro i.mages from the 40mm would be good

Nikon don't make many bad lenses and the two that you ask about are excellent. You don't need sample images. You need to decide whether you want the close-up facility of the 40mm or the wider aperture of the 35mm. The focal length difference isn't enough to make any significant difference.

As others have said, these lenses are only for DX format.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 7 Nov 2013 - 10:54 AM
    chefmarcus
    7 Nov 2013 - 5:29 PM

I do appreciate the advice and I am going for the 40mm and I will consider say a the Sigma 10-20mm as a wide solution .

Ptr_A
    Ptr_A  554 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Nov 2013 - 2:30 PM

5mm difference is so small, just buy one lens and either move towards or away from the subject. If you often shoot in low light, the 1.8 will be better than the 2.8. However, modern cameras can handle higher iso than earlier models, so 1.3 stops is negligible. Buying both, in my opinion, would be a waste of money.

thewilliam
    11 Nov 2013 - 12:08 AM

Quote: 5mm difference is so small, just buy one lens and either move towards or away from the subject. Buying both, in my opinion, would be a waste of money.

Unless one is a full-time professional in which case the everyday lenses need to be backed up!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2013 - 9:29 AM

5mm is quite noticeable, especially at the wide end on a crop Smile

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    12 Nov 2013 - 10:19 AM

Quote: Would it be a waste to buy both or do I even need both?

Only you can answer that. If you do a lot of very close focus work where close distance to the subject is not an issue, a lot of lowlight moderately wider angle work and you can afford both it would not be a waste for you, but it could be for someone else.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.