Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

3rd-party Battery melted!! (Bought from eBay)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sze4j
    sze4j  1056 forum posts Singapore
    21 Oct 2004 - 2:35 PM

Hi, thought I will share something. About 2 months ago, I purchased a 3rd party battery on eBay UK, one which was equivalent to my Canon BP-511. It cost about 12 pounds (incl p&p) and had only used it a couple of times (and charged it twice).

Brought it with me during my recent Lake District trip. After charging the battery with my original canon battery charger, I saw that a 5mm hole had developed on top of the battery plastic (such that I could now see the inside of the battery)!!! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!!

Needless to say, I am not going to use the battery anymore. I don't know whether this has happened to anyone before, but needless to say, I will think twice in future before purchasing any of these 3rd party camera batteries in future!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Oct 2004 - 2:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord
    dark_lord Critique Team 101464 forum postsdark_lord vcard England125 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2004 - 2:55 PM

Oooh nasty!

Don't let that put you off 3rd party batteries. I bought a couple of Hahnel equivalents from warehouse express (through epz shop). Bit more expensive than yours but less than half that of a genuine Canon. They work well and last a good time before needing to be recharged.

Keith.

sze4j
    21 Oct 2004 - 3:02 PM

Thanks Keith!! Yes, may consider that...

meanwhile, trying to ask the ebay shop if they would exchange it for me, since it is still under warranty... =)

UserRemoved
    21 Oct 2004 - 4:54 PM

These are Li-Ion batteries, I believe. Be warned, not only is Lithium extremely toxic, but the batteries can explode if shorted out. They are very nasty. Suggest you handle with extreme care - 'twas a 3rd party battery in a mobile that caused severe burns to someone (dropped mobile and then took call - battery shorted out!)

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    21 Oct 2004 - 5:04 PM

I sent a warning about this quite some time ago,(http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=8789&catid=6) it was a quote from Chuck Westfall(?), a Canon man. According to him, the Canon batteries are fitted with a thermal trip, the others are not, with the result that some of them have "exploded" in the past. He pointed out that any damaged to the camera as a result of using these batteries would not be covered.
    However, I paid about 20 for a non Canon one about 15 months ago and it's still going strong. I do try to use the Canon battery most of the time, just using the other one if the Canon gives up when I'm out. I then recharge at home and replace the Canon battery in the camera.

Frank

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    21 Oct 2004 - 5:21 PM

Thank goodness it did no damage to the camera. I was tempted to buy a non-Canon version when I got my 300D, but decided although the risk might be small I was not prepaired to take that risk to save a tiny percentage off my digital up-grade costs,

sze4j
    21 Oct 2004 - 6:44 PM

Mark and Frank - Thanks for the explanation! Yes, these are li-Ion batteries.

Paul - Yep, thank God the camera was unhurt! =)

Update - I had written to the ebay company from which I had purchased the battery from. They have just responded and informed me that it is still within the one year warranty period, and i could return them the battery and they would send me a new one. Think I will do so, and like what Frank advise, use the battery only as a last resort backup. Meanwhile, will ask my mum to get me a canon battery when she comes over from Singapore to see me at the end of the year...yep, its much cheaper from that part of the world. =)

lordposh
    lordposh  1045 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:57 PM

Did someone say batteries Sze..... why didn't you say earlier....I have used www.eurobatteries.com in the past and have been great... cheap and money back if you have any problems...
    17.49 price at present...

Roger

UserRemoved
    21 Oct 2004 - 8:02 PM

Reckon that a 'name' battery would be fine - they're meant to have all manner of safeguards built-in: thermal cutouts, over-pressure relief and toughened case. Branded batts will have a reputation to uphold - no-names don't and may take shorcuts

sze4j
    21 Oct 2004 - 8:22 PM

Roger - Thanks for the recommendations! Should have checked with u earlier...

Mark - Agree with your point, thanks. There doesn't appear to be any battery name on the one that i have with me. =( Well, its a lesson learnt.

andytvcams
    andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:06 PM

It melted,i will stay clear of them then.

UserRemoved
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:34 PM

Hahnel are fine 3rd parties and I think uniross do one as well.
    If you are that worried then get a battery grip. By the time you fork out for a couple or three canon batteries (which are exhausted quicker than my other 3) you could get a battery grip and a couple of 3rd party ones.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.