Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

3rd-party Battery melted!! (Bought from eBay)

sze4j e2
10 56 Singapore
21 Oct 2004 2:35PM
Hi, thought I will share something. About 2 months ago, I purchased a 3rd party battery on eBay UK, one which was equivalent to my Canon BP-511. It cost about 12 pounds (incl p&p) and had only used it a couple of times (and charged it twice).

Brought it with me during my recent Lake District trip. After charging the battery with my original canon battery charger, I saw that a 5mm hole had developed on top of the battery plastic (such that I could now see the inside of the battery)!!! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!!

Needless to say, I am not going to use the battery anymore. I don't know whether this has happened to anyone before, but needless to say, I will think twice in future before purchasing any of these 3rd party camera batteries in future!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 145 England
21 Oct 2004 2:55PM
Oooh nasty!

Don't let that put you off 3rd party batteries. I bought a couple of Hahnel equivalents from warehouse express (through epz shop). Bit more expensive than yours but less than half that of a genuine Canon. They work well and last a good time before needing to be recharged.

Keith.
sze4j e2
10 56 Singapore
21 Oct 2004 3:02PM
Thanks Keith!! Yes, may consider that...

meanwhile, trying to ask the ebay shop if they would exchange it for me, since it is still under warranty... =)
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
21 Oct 2004 4:54PM
These are Li-Ion batteries, I believe. Be warned, not only is Lithium extremely toxic, but the batteries can explode if shorted out. They are very nasty. Suggest you handle with extreme care - 'twas a 3rd party battery in a mobile that caused severe burns to someone (dropped mobile and then took call - battery shorted out!)
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
21 Oct 2004 5:04PM
I sent a warning about this quite some time ago,(http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=8789&catid=6) it was a quote from Chuck Westfall(?), a Canon man. According to him, the Canon batteries are fitted with a thermal trip, the others are not, with the result that some of them have "exploded" in the past. He pointed out that any damaged to the camera as a result of using these batteries would not be covered.
However, I paid about 20 for a non Canon one about 15 months ago and it's still going strong. I do try to use the Canon battery most of the time, just using the other one if the Canon gives up when I'm out. I then recharge at home and replace the Canon battery in the camera.

Frank
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
21 Oct 2004 5:21PM
Thank goodness it did no damage to the camera. I was tempted to buy a non-Canon version when I got my 300D, but decided although the risk might be small I was not prepaired to take that risk to save a tiny percentage off my digital up-grade costs,
sze4j e2
10 56 Singapore
21 Oct 2004 6:44PM
Mark and Frank - Thanks for the explanation! Yes, these are li-Ion batteries.

Paul - Yep, thank God the camera was unhurt! =)

Update - I had written to the ebay company from which I had purchased the battery from. They have just responded and informed me that it is still within the one year warranty period, and i could return them the battery and they would send me a new one. Think I will do so, and like what Frank advise, use the battery only as a last resort backup. Meanwhile, will ask my mum to get me a canon battery when she comes over from Singapore to see me at the end of the year...yep, its much cheaper from that part of the world. =)
lordposh e2
10 45 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2004 7:57PM
Did someone say batteries Sze..... why didn't you say earlier....I have used www.eurobatteries.com in the past and have been great... cheap and money back if you have any problems...
17.49 price at present...

Roger
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
21 Oct 2004 8:02PM
Reckon that a 'name' battery would be fine - they're meant to have all manner of safeguards built-in: thermal cutouts, over-pressure relief and toughened case. Branded batts will have a reputation to uphold - no-names don't and may take shorcuts
sze4j e2
10 56 Singapore
21 Oct 2004 8:22PM
Roger - Thanks for the recommendations! Should have checked with u earlier...

Mark - Agree with your point, thanks. There doesn't appear to be any battery name on the one that i have with me. =( Well, its a lesson learnt.
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2004 9:06PM
It melted,i will stay clear of them then.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
21 Oct 2004 9:34PM
Hahnel are fine 3rd parties and I think uniross do one as well.
If you are that worried then get a battery grip. By the time you fork out for a couple or three canon batteries (which are exhausted quicker than my other 3) you could get a battery grip and a couple of 3rd party ones.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.