Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

3rd party flash battery packs - canon

Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
6 Feb 2011 11:27PM
Ok so I've got both a 580EX2 and an MT-24ex flash units and I was wondering about using the external battery packs to give me a faster recycling rate (mostly on the twinflash) so that I've got a better chance of doing handheld focus stacks for my macro work (so short bursts I know full well I can't do long bursts because it will overheat the flash).

However canon's own brand battery pack sits at 155.99 in price whilst ebay lists several far further down in the 20-40 price bracket. So I'm wondering if this is case that these 3rd party options are cheaper because they'll melt/cook/break something in my setup or because canon like to put a 100 price on their Canon name Wink

So has anyone any direct experience of these?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Feb 2011 2:06AM
Canon battery 150 pounds, I think it's too expensive
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
11 Feb 2011 8:19PM
Aye and it appears that the Pixel TD-381 is an alternative that costs far less and yet offers not just similar, but improved performance of the canon battery pack. From what I can see reading around the Pixel offers a faster recharge rate and the option of running on 4 or 8 batteries at once.
The only downside is that it makes a crackling sound reported by some, when in use (which combined with the whiiiiirziiiiit of my twinflash will probably convince everyone I'm some sort of walking bomb Wink).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.