Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

3rd party lenses

1 Feb 2013 4:19PM
I am looking at getting a Sigma or Tamron lens. Is there a way to see if they are for Nikon's DX or FX cameras or do they work for both?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 352 England
1 Feb 2013 4:50PM
I would think checking the websites might give a clue, google can be a palTongue
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 4:53PM
Sigma and Tamron both make lenses to fit a range of manufacturers/bodies. The particular brand and type is normally pretty visible on listings for the lenses but if it isn't you just need to check with the seller.

Ian
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Feb 2013 7:01PM
They all have different naming conventions.

Basically, any lens that will suit an FX camera will also suit a DX camera but the opposite is not true.

From memory (check it out) Sigma DC lenses are for DX only whereas DG lenses are OK for both DX and FX Nikons.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
1 Feb 2013 8:59PM
You also need to check whether the lens has mechanical or electrical coupling for auto-focus.
darranl 5 318 England
2 Feb 2013 11:44AM
Looking at your portfolio I believe you have a Nikon D5000 (Same as me) so you will need to be selecting a lens that has it's won focussing motor as there isn't one in the camera body.
5 Feb 2013 4:21PM
@ Darranl- I am planing to get a Nikon 800e sometime this year so I want to make sure the 3rd party lens will work for both cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.