Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

400d flash problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cathalmccabe
    15 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

Hello,
    My 400d flash is not working properly. It will not fire when it has popped up, but the flash unit itself still works, as if I push the flash manually until it is almost closed (3/4 or 7/8 of the way down) the flash will fire. It works when it is almost closed, just before it starts to press on the switch to detect if the flash is up or not.
    I have checked the switch under the hot shoe, and I don't think it is the problem. It is as if there is a loose connection, or another switch I cannot see. I tried strip down the flash unit, but could not completely disassemble. I'm not sure if I need to take the whole camera case apart to do that.
    Any ideas? Unfortunately t isn't really economical to send the camera for repair as it is a bit old now, and it seems a shame to throw out.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 8:49 AM

Sounds like the connection to the flash unit is dodgy rather than the hot shoe switch as if that was held down you would never get the flash firing I would expect. So either risk a tear down and try and run a couple of additional wires to the flash tube part or just fit an external flash.

cathalmccabe
    15 Mar 2012 - 8:51 AM

OK, thanks. Any recommendations/pointers in the right direction for small/inexpensive external flash?

MrGoatsmilk
    15 Mar 2012 - 12:05 PM

You could get a Nissin Di466 for 80 which can be used on or off camera (off camera with trigger or using another flash to fire it) and will be a lot lot better than the pop up flash ever was.

There are some dealers online line that show it cheaper, however some of those I would not touch with a barge pole, I have just ordered a Di866 from WEX as I know it will arrive and any problems will be sorted in a flash (see what I did there Grin)

HTH

Stu

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 12:06 PM

Quote: small/inexpensive external flash

Have you got a budget in mind...? We can then work from that.....Smile

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 12:32 PM

For Canon the 270EX is the entry new gun @ 100. The 320EX and 430EX get better as they offer bounce and swivel heads with the bigger the number indicating the higher the maximum flash power. If you go second hand Canon make certain it is an EX gun to get full compatibility with your camera. The EZ series will work, but only in manual mode so you would need to calculate range and power etc or take a few test shots.

Not really got any experience of the non-canon guns myself, but some people are happy with the Sigma ones, and Metz have a fairly good reputation.

Overread
    Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2012 - 12:44 PM

The 270EX and 320EX are not ideal choices for the 400D. I say that because both lack onflash controls and rely on a camera menu to control their manual power outputs. This isn't a feature that the 400D has in its firmwire and thus the 270 and 320 will be ETTL (ie auto) control only on that camera body.
    The 430EX and 580EX both have on-body controls and thus will give you manual power control options on camera or off-camera.

cathalmccabe
    17 Mar 2012 - 9:25 PM

Cheap as possible. To buy another second hand is probably only 100-200, and a big is not convenient to use in place of the popup flash. Has to be under

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.