Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

400d or 30d?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gingerninja
    19 Dec 2006 - 7:17 PM

im thinking of buying a new dslr and im not sure if which to buy. i have been using a nikon d70 but love my canon 50e, so it seems a good idea to buy a canon dslr. i have around a 1000 to spend on a body and lense. the 30d sounds like the best choice but would the 400d be better being cheeper and having a higher mp better? this would leave more to spend on a lense. im going to be using it for landscape, travel and some sports like mountain biking and snowboarding. many thanks, dom

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Dec 2006 - 7:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2006 - 7:45 PM

do you need a flash synch cable port on the camera?

appears that the 400 doens't have one...

if that's important to you then get the 30D Smile

I'd always recommend nice lenses over better spec bodies. Bodies soon get upgraded and out of date - lenses never do. They just bend and focus light.

So get the cheap body and spend as much as you can on a nice lens.

mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    19 Dec 2006 - 9:40 PM

I agree 100% with Ade.

Blueprint
    Blueprint  7 United Kingdom
    20 Dec 2006 - 9:47 AM

not sure what sort of photography you are into but the 400D is a right pain to do raw images with.... i.e when you have taken a few shots in raw the camera locks up while it processes the images, it has one processor where as the D60 and many other canon cameras have 2 processors... definatly something to ask about when buying a new camera, if you intend to get really serious or are really serious about photography, i hope that helps
    genese

Blueprint
    Blueprint  7 United Kingdom
    20 Dec 2006 - 9:50 AM

the flash syc cable is not that much of a issue as you can get a hot foot converterthat isnt to exspensive

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2006 - 1:54 PM

very true

Just thought it a little miserly of Canon not to add one...

but then again, they have to cull some features on the budget models to distinguish them from the higher spec ones.

Get yourself a 2nd hand 300D for peanuts and have 800 for lenses.

Could get an 17-40L and a 70-300 F4-5.6 IS. Both have their following Smile

grahamab
    grahamab  9183 forum posts England
    20 Dec 2006 - 2:06 PM

Not to mention the 30d will give you 5FPS which will come in useful for the sports you mentioned.

I cant see why the 2mb will make all that difference to be honest, the EOS 1D Mark II N is only 8.2meg and thats supposed to be the bees knees for sports photography.

Weigh up the pros and cons of each camera against what you are wishing to photograph and see what you come up with.

I upgraded from the 350d to the 30d and I am more than happy with the performance so far. Just one rogue lens made me doubt it for a while but with a new lens I am delighted.

Graham

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2006 - 2:22 PM

im very happy with my 30D over the 10D i had. cant complain at all. Grin

tigerminx
    tigerminx  10237 forum posts South Africa
    20 Dec 2006 - 6:01 PM

Had the 300D and now own the 30D. I am very happy with it. Just feels right in your hands compared to the 350/400D.

Graham, if you don't mind me asking, which rogue lens was that, that you mentioned above?

Bruce.

grahamab
    grahamab  9183 forum posts England
    20 Dec 2006 - 9:06 PM

Hi Bruce, it was the sigma 24-70 f2.8, I put it down to a rogue lens as i have other sigmas that are fine, I did 4 separate shoots with it and found i was sifting through the cards trying to find one sharp enough to use, the only thing that saved me from complete disaster was the 50mm 1.8 but that has limitations in confined spaces. I lost confidence in that lens prefering to send it back and went for the canon 28-135 IS now with the 30d and the difference is just amazing pin sharp and most importantly very consistant in most situations. I am now very happy with the combination. The 350 is now my second body for when i shoot sports, I need the 30d for the 5fps and long lens the 350 with the short lens for when the action gets closer.
    Hope that helps

Graham

tigerminx
    21 Dec 2006 - 6:52 AM

Thanks Graham. Appreciate the feedback.
    Bruce.

FeePhoto
    FeePhoto  834 forum posts Scotland
    21 Dec 2006 - 7:19 AM

I'm like Graham - upgraded from the 350D to the 30D and use the Canon 28 - 135mm IS lens - no complaints at all. Add the battery grip for longer shooting time and portrait format and it's perfect!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

gingerninja
    21 Dec 2006 - 9:09 PM

thanks for the replies guys. ive been out and got myself a 30d today. the the batt is on charge as i type and i cant wait to have a go. i will let you know how i get on. thanks again, dom

tigerminx
    21 Dec 2006 - 9:13 PM

Excellent choice, you won't be dissapointed.
    Bruce.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.