Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

400d or 30d

27 Sep 2007 10:54PM
probably been asked somewhere already but i'm looking to invest in my 1st Dslr and see that warehouse express are selling canon 30d white box package for 459 body only. I was considering buying the canon 400d lens kit for 20 less but would'nt mind waiting to get a lens if the 30d was/is the better option also i can't afford to buy a 40d. would really like to use dslr for sports photography asa well. All help /advice much appreciated.probably a no brainer but i've never had a DSLR :-(

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2007 11:07PM
For only 20 more than the 400D the 30D is a bargain. Ok it has 2mp less, but in real photo terms that is not much. What does it have, well a faster frame rate, that will be handy for sports. and I thing the body is more comfortable to hold plus the second wheel allows faster adjustment.

Then lets see the shutter life is a lot longer. Spot metering, that might be handy for sports.

In short for 20 get the 30D.

Strawman ponders on getting 30D at that price.
28 Sep 2007 8:15AM
I use a 20 and a 30D for sports stuff (one with a long lens and one with a short). They're both pretty good at it. While the extra 2mp is nice to have, the extended features of the 30D make it a no brainer i think, especially at the price - and with the 40D arriving they will go down. i got my 30 from the canon outlet on ebay at 100 less than anywhere else i could find it, worth a look
steveb
28 Sep 2007 9:19AM
thanks to both, yea 30d seems to be the way to go I think.

Gary
bledzo e2
2 69 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 9:16PM
30D def the way to go. The Mag' Alloy body is something else and a great camera to use.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.