Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

40D Battery Grip

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Spuddie
Spuddie  6
16 Jul 2008 - 9:12 PM

After a bit of advice please!

I've been offered a Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip which a work colleague has assured me will work on my 40D. I have had a look on websites (Jessops) who offer a BG-E2N. I was wondering if my work colleagues offer which he used on a 20D will work on my 40D.

Does anyone know? I don't want to appear to doubt his assertions as I don't know him that well!

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2008 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 9:28 PM

BG-E2 & BG-E2N, Both work with the 40D.....!

There are some extra bits on the BG-E2N version, That said, If your work mate is selling it at a bargain price, You will get all the basic advantages of the grip....!

Edit: Far as I know, The N version has some extra rubber seals, Other than that nothing to choose between them.....!

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Jul 2008 - 9:31 PM
MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
16 Jul 2008 - 9:32 PM

The main difference between the BG-E2 and the BG-E2N is that the N has a rubber seal around the battery compartment. Both will work on your 40D.

EyeDeal
EyeDeal  655 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 - 9:20 AM

I bought one from Hahnel. Main reason was IR shutter release.

john64
john64  9824 forum posts England
18 Jul 2008 - 1:08 PM

Why don't you ask your colleague to bring it into work so you can have a play? He should be happy with doing that if it's a potential sale.

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2008 - 4:47 PM

I got the Hahnel one too. Built in IR shutter release and cheaper than the Canon one.

EyeDeal
23 Jul 2008 - 8:01 AM

Is there any problem with using different nominal batteries? I'm going to unite Canon BP-511 (1300 mAh) and Hahnel HL-511 (1500 mAh) in that battery grip.

ripleysalien
23 Jul 2008 - 12:25 PM

I use the cannon and a hama batterys in my 5D and 40D both with grips so dont think it will be a problem.

Steve

GTM
GTM  6133 forum posts
4 Aug 2008 - 12:52 PM

I was looking at the Hahnel one with shutter release.

Is it worth the investment? I was going to get just a wireless shutter release anyway but two products for one sounds ever better.

Or is it too good to be true and in reality a rubbish bit of kit?

EyeDeal
23 Aug 2008 - 3:02 PM

IR Shutter release of Hahnel's battery grip works on pretty wide angle, let's say 150 gr. It has feature of half-press for preparation and full press for shot. Works as good as Nikon IR shutter release worked with Nikon Coolpix 8800.

NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2008 - 6:25 PM

I'm wondering why you need a battery grip. My battery for my 40D last about a week.
Unless you want it for the shutter release, in which case I'll wind my neck in.

steve_kershaw
23 Aug 2008 - 7:07 PM

Quote: I'm wondering why you need a battery grip

i bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood, i really wanted a1dmk3 Smile

steve_kershaw
23 Aug 2008 - 7:11 PM

nicked from another thread

Quote: Yes, but humour is subjective, and unfortunately most on here are not half as funny as they like to think they are. ; ) What is often intended as a funny remark, often completely lacks humour,

Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2008 - 12:02 AM

The weight of the grip helps to balance the camera if you mount a flash on the hot shoe, for example.

It is useful for the vertical, or portrait format and with a conveniently place extra shutter release button, amongst other features.

However, the Canon grips for their digital cameras seem rather expensive at 100+ compared to the battery grip for 300V film body at 30+.

The Hahnel does seem a more realistic price. Whether it is as durable, apart from its possible lesser features, as the Canon perhaps other members can advise me?
jas

Edit:
Quote: I bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood,

Steve - what are screwing the grip onto, for heaven's sake? Smile Smile Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 24 Aug 2008 - 12:06 AM
steve_kershaw
24 Aug 2008 - 12:17 AM

if you want a battery grip then you want this
one

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.