Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

40D Battery Grip

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Spuddie
Spuddie  6
16 Jul 2008 - 9:12 PM

After a bit of advice please!

I've been offered a Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip which a work colleague has assured me will work on my 40D. I have had a look on websites (Jessops) who offer a BG-E2N. I was wondering if my work colleagues offer which he used on a 20D will work on my 40D.

Does anyone know? I don't want to appear to doubt his assertions as I don't know him that well!

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2008 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2008 - 9:28 PM

BG-E2 & BG-E2N, Both work with the 40D.....!

There are some extra bits on the BG-E2N version, That said, If your work mate is selling it at a bargain price, You will get all the basic advantages of the grip....!

Edit: Far as I know, The N version has some extra rubber seals, Other than that nothing to choose between them.....!

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Jul 2008 - 9:31 PM
MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
16 Jul 2008 - 9:32 PM

The main difference between the BG-E2 and the BG-E2N is that the N has a rubber seal around the battery compartment. Both will work on your 40D.

EyeDeal
EyeDeal  655 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 - 9:20 AM

I bought one from Hahnel. Main reason was IR shutter release.

john64
john64 e2 Member 10824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
18 Jul 2008 - 1:08 PM

Why don't you ask your colleague to bring it into work so you can have a play? He should be happy with doing that if it's a potential sale.

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12489 forum postsCanonMan vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2008 - 4:47 PM

I got the Hahnel one too. Built in IR shutter release and cheaper than the Canon one.

EyeDeal
23 Jul 2008 - 8:01 AM

Is there any problem with using different nominal batteries? I'm going to unite Canon BP-511 (1300 mAh) and Hahnel HL-511 (1500 mAh) in that battery grip.

ripleysalien
23 Jul 2008 - 12:25 PM

I use the cannon and a hama batterys in my 5D and 40D both with grips so dont think it will be a problem.

Steve

GTM
GTM  6133 forum posts
4 Aug 2008 - 12:52 PM

I was looking at the Hahnel one with shutter release.

Is it worth the investment? I was going to get just a wireless shutter release anyway but two products for one sounds ever better.

Or is it too good to be true and in reality a rubbish bit of kit?

EyeDeal
23 Aug 2008 - 3:02 PM

IR Shutter release of Hahnel's battery grip works on pretty wide angle, let's say 150 gr. It has feature of half-press for preparation and full press for shot. Works as good as Nikon IR shutter release worked with Nikon Coolpix 8800.

NexusImages
23 Aug 2008 - 6:25 PM

I'm wondering why you need a battery grip. My battery for my 40D last about a week.
Unless you want it for the shutter release, in which case I'll wind my neck in.

steve_kershaw
23 Aug 2008 - 7:07 PM

Quote: I'm wondering why you need a battery grip

i bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood, i really wanted a1dmk3 Smile

steve_kershaw
23 Aug 2008 - 7:11 PM

nicked from another thread

Quote: Yes, but humour is subjective, and unfortunately most on here are not half as funny as they like to think they are. ; ) What is often intended as a funny remark, often completely lacks humour,

Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2008 - 12:02 AM

The weight of the grip helps to balance the camera if you mount a flash on the hot shoe, for example.

It is useful for the vertical, or portrait format and with a conveniently place extra shutter release button, amongst other features.

However, the Canon grips for their digital cameras seem rather expensive at 100+ compared to the battery grip for 300V film body at 30+.

The Hahnel does seem a more realistic price. Whether it is as durable, apart from its possible lesser features, as the Canon perhaps other members can advise me?
jas

Edit:
Quote: I bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood,

Steve - what are screwing the grip onto, for heaven's sake? Smile Smile Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 24 Aug 2008 - 12:06 AM
steve_kershaw
24 Aug 2008 - 12:17 AM

if you want a battery grip then you want this
one

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.