Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

40D Battery Grip

16 Jul 2008 9:12PM
After a bit of advice please!

I've been offered a Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip which a work colleague has assured me will work on my 40D. I have had a look on websites (Jessops) who offer a BG-E2N. I was wondering if my work colleagues offer which he used on a 20D will work on my 40D.

Does anyone know? I don't want to appear to doubt his assertions as I don't know him that well!

Many thanks for any advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Jul 2008 9:28PM
BG-E2 & BG-E2N, Both work with the 40D.....!

There are some extra bits on the BG-E2N version, That said, If your work mate is selling it at a bargain price, You will get all the basic advantages of the grip....!

Edit: Far as I know, The N version has some extra rubber seals, Other than that nothing to choose between them.....!
MarkyMarc e2
9 498 Canada
16 Jul 2008 9:32PM
The main difference between the BG-E2 and the BG-E2N is that the N has a rubber seal around the battery compartment. Both will work on your 40D.
EyeDeal e2
6 55 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2008 9:20AM
I bought one from Hahnel. Main reason was IR shutter release.
john64 e2
10 824 England
18 Jul 2008 1:08PM
Why don't you ask your colleague to bring it into work so you can have a play? He should be happy with doing that if it's a potential sale.
CanonMan e2
13 496 4 England
18 Jul 2008 4:47PM
I got the Hahnel one too. Built in IR shutter release and cheaper than the Canon one.
EyeDeal e2
6 55 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 8:01AM
Is there any problem with using different nominal batteries? I'm going to unite Canon BP-511 (1300 mAh) and Hahnel HL-511 (1500 mAh) in that battery grip.
ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 12:25PM
I use the cannon and a hama batterys in my 5D and 40D both with grips so dont think it will be a problem.

Steve
GTM e2
6 133
4 Aug 2008 12:52PM
I was looking at the Hahnel one with shutter release.

Is it worth the investment? I was going to get just a wireless shutter release anyway but two products for one sounds ever better.

Or is it too good to be true and in reality a rubbish bit of kit?
EyeDeal e2
6 55 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 3:02PM
IR Shutter release of Hahnel's battery grip works on pretty wide angle, let's say 150 gr. It has feature of half-press for preparation and full press for shot. Works as good as Nikon IR shutter release worked with Nikon Coolpix 8800.
NexusImages e2
7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 6:25PM
I'm wondering why you need a battery grip. My battery for my 40D last about a week.
Unless you want it for the shutter release, in which case I'll wind my neck in.
steve_kershaw e2
9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 7:07PM

Quote:I'm wondering why you need a battery grip

i bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood, i really wanted a1dmk3 Smile
steve_kershaw e2
9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2008 7:11PM
nicked from another thread

Quote:Yes, but humour is subjective, and unfortunately most on here are not half as funny as they like to think they are. ; ) What is often intended as a funny remark, often completely lacks humour,
Wink
24 Aug 2008 12:02AM
The weight of the grip helps to balance the camera if you mount a flash on the hot shoe, for example.

It is useful for the vertical, or portrait format and with a conveniently place extra shutter release button, amongst other features.

However, the Canon grips for their digital cameras seem rather expensive at 100+ compared to the battery grip for 300V film body at 30+.

The Hahnel does seem a more realistic price. Whether it is as durable, apart from its possible lesser features, as the Canon perhaps other members can advise me?
jas

Edit:
Quote:I bought mine as a compensation for my lack of manhood,

Steve - what are screwing the grip onto, for heaven's sake? Smile Smile Smile
steve_kershaw e2
9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2008 12:17AM
if you want a battery grip then you want this
one

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.