Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

40d grip

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 9:13 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my 40d to a 50d. My question is - does the BG-E2 grip fit in the 50d ? I see that the 50d uses a BG-E2N, is there a difference ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Aug 2009 - 9:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2009 - 9:17 PM

Quote: I'm thinking of upgrading my 40d to a 50d

May I ask why?

ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 9:20 PM

Just because i can afford to Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2009 - 9:21 PM

Fair enough... even though it won't be an upgrade I would go for if I could afford it. LOL

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
18 Aug 2009 - 9:29 PM

I agree with Cole but anyway thats going off topic. New casmera is announced tomorrow (but may just be a G11 with a new 1D announced in September but there may be a 60D too).

The grip will fit. The only difference with the N version is improved (read some versus none) weather sealing.

ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 9:33 PM

To be truthful - i've also got a 1d mk11 which although i havent had it a long time - i just dont seem to get on with it. I know i'm going to get slated for saying this but i'd like to buy a better camera but dont know which one ?? I'm half way through my A-level photography course at the moment and would like to get it sorted before the term starts again in a few weeks. I wonder now how many are going to say that i should stick with what i've got and buy better glass Smile I love my 40d but can afford a 50d so why not ? Would love some advice on any other upgrades ?? Thanks

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Aug 2009 - 9:41 PM

I'd have thought decent lenses or failing that lots of train tickets etc to see stuff to photograph would be a better use of your cash. But that's just me...

I've got a 40d. It's all cool. Mind you, the lens focus shift/ajustment feature on the 50d to help with lenses that are slightly 'out'...does interest me.

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
18 Aug 2009 - 9:42 PM

What dont you like about the mark 2? What about a 1D3?

Coleslaw
18 Aug 2009 - 9:46 PM

Or 5D or 5D2?

ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 9:50 PM

I've been offered a 1d3 really cheap today, is it significantly better than the mk11 ? I think i just havent giving the mk11 the time it deserves and hate having to push two buttons at a time to change anything - not a problem with the mk111 Smile
Just looking to get the right camera that i can keep for a long time and take pictures instead of sitting in front of this damn computer reading thousands of reviews and changing my mind every other day Smile Spend enough time here with photoshop and websites already

User_Removed
18 Aug 2009 - 9:54 PM

Quote: I love my 40d but can afford a 50d so why not ?

Because you don't need one?

You'll be better off learning how to use the MkII and spending the money on good glass instead of wasting it on a camera you don't need.

What can you do with a 50D that you can't with a 40D?

I go by this rule.....
"It doesn't matter how many buttons, whistles and gadgets your camera has or how much it cost. First you have to be a photographer!"

Photography isn't always about what camera you have.
Spend your money on good glass....don't waste it.

Gerry.

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101466 forum postsdark_lord vcard England128 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2009 - 10:04 PM

Quote: I love my 40d but can afford a 50d so why not

Quote: I love my 40d but can afford a 50d so why not

Are we talking photography or building a camera collection?

croberts
croberts  102160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2009 - 10:04 PM

Quote: hate having to push two buttons at a time to change anything - not a problem with the mk111

as opposed to pressing a button, and then changing something?

I've always liked the 'press to change, let go to select' system on the canon 1 series. its very fast, and you cant change it by accident. another reason i havent upgraded to the mark 3's.

its only a pain when scrolling through pics to chimp, though, but then you should be shooting and not chimping anyway Wink

upgrading your brain is always the best policy. Better to spend time becoming 100% familiar with the tools you have, so you know pretty much 100% what your going to get when you shoot in any given situation.

and yes, the older grip will fit the 50d just fine.

Last Modified By croberts at 18 Aug 2009 - 10:06 PM
ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hardly building a camera collection - having two cameras !

ENGLISHSKIN
18 Aug 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm going to go with everyone's advice and practise with my 1d mk11 till i get it right !! Put my money on some new glass....... ermmmmm but which lens ?? Another headache coming me thinks Smile

Last Modified By ENGLISHSKIN at 18 Aug 2009 - 10:16 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.